Linux (CLOSED) No Audio over HDMI, but with a twist....
Hi all-

I've been working on this for a couple of days now, and decided to quit flailing around and ask for help. I have a generic system with an Intel mobo, Atom processor, 1 GB RAM. I had to install the system using an old LCD monitor, and now have it connected to my HDTV ( in case that makes a difference somehow ). I have sound through the speaker/ headphone output ( green plug on the back of the case ). I do not have sound over HDMI to the TV.

aplay -l shows:
card0: Intel [HDA Intel], device0; ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
card0: Intel [HDA Intel], device1; ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]

That's all- no mention of HDMI in the list like I've seen in other posts. ( The Twist! )

BTW- the ALC662 is labeled in Alsamixer as Realtek and the only thing muted is the mic input.

So, questions:
1) Does this mean that I don't have the possibility for HDMI audio?
2) Was it not included because the HDTV was not present at setup?
3) Any idea if HDMI sound can be added?
4) Will the world really end this year as the Mayan calendar predicts and make the above questions irrelevant?

Thanks for any suggestions/ input. - CW
Is the HDMI port from the motherboard or a GPU? Can you give details of these.
The HDMI ( DVI ) and VGA ports are both hardwired to the mobo. There are no cards plugged in to the mobo at all. ( Tiny system 7x7x1.5" ) I used a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the PC to the TV. I hope that's what you were asking for! Thanks for the interest.
Well, I found a work around inputing the analog PC speaker output into a RCA jack for the HDMI that I didn't know was even there after four years of not poking around the back of the TV. I would prefer to actually input the signal over the HDMI properly, but at least this works for now.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might proceed? Thanks.

Is it a DVI to HDMI issue?
Do you have a option in the bios to enable hd audio?

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
Hi Matt-

I'll have to take a look at that this evening. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know. You think you've thought of everything.....
Something I've noticed was you stated:

(2012-04-15, 06:10)Clinton_W Wrote: I used a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the PC to the TV.

If you are using the DVI out from the PC then unless I'm mistaken, you can't send audio over it as it doesn't support it.
What kind of system do you have? Are you using Ubuntu 11.10?
Sorry I haven't gotten back. I was called away for a couple of days.

Based on my review of the BIOS settings, it does NOT appear that this system supports audio over HDMI. I also have reason to believe, like scokem, that the DVI to HDMI output doesn't support the audio over HDMI. So I'm going to consider this a closed thread. At least I can input the audio on the same device through the same input, and not have to have yet another amp running to play the audio output.

Thanks to all who contributed comments.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(CLOSED) No Audio over HDMI, but with a twist....0