XBMC as audio only streaming client?
Question 
Hi there,

I want to build my own Sonos style streaming audio system - I've been searching the web for days but couldn't find a linux project that was designed for this in the first place.
Is it possible to use XBMC as audio only streaming client without any display attached?
So there is no gui needed and I'd like to use a thinclient with low power consumption as hardware platform.
I got my music on a DLNA compatible NAS allready and would like to use Android devices as remote control.
Is this possible or does anyone know a project, that is more suited for this?
Thanks for your help.
Perhaps I'm missing the point - but if you've got the audio on a NAS already, don't you simply need to either mount that from your clients, or use DLNA/UPnP to stream to them? I don't see what a display-less XBMC adds.

I've got all my media on a Synology NAS and happily access music from both multiple XBMC systems and various Android and RIM devices over a combination of DNLA, CIFS/NFS and SMB. The biggest hassle was (a) finding the right clients, and (b) accepting the headphone-to-line-in cables to feed the various amplification units (aka "radios") in the house - it would have been neater to get new, wireless DNLA clients but they're apparently both rare and expensive.
@yaffle
(2012-04-15, 22:21)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Perhaps I'm missing the point - but if you've got the audio on a NAS already, don't you simply need to either mount that from your clients, or use DLNA/UPnP to stream to them? I don't see what a display-less XBMC adds.

i think you did miss the point...he wants a headless system that he can easy controller w/ driod remote and assumably wants a nice ui to control...you challenged why he would need one...then went to say you have similar things set up in your home as what he was looking for...?!!

@Chwarg
to answer you question...XBMC sortof (below)...other....not that im aware of specifically, but i know there are some VERY small [inux] projects that are building from scratch that are devoted to just that from an audiofile standpoint (ie neither cheap nor low power are the criteria :-) ) or just arent mature at all.

XBMC sortof: i say 'sortof' because it wont be a true headless design. you will need to connect a monitor for setup and troubleshooting/upkeep and or use VNC to remote into said device if your host is windows or inux. which really isnt that big of a deal...you can even have some of the spiffier options using things like the multiroom audio plugins and so on....

if you are interested in following the XMBC path:
(all would be a connection to existing receiver or nice self powered speakers)

New (*digital output only) - look at RasberryPi (approx $35) with OpenElec booting it from SD. point to NAS...disconnect...enjoy
new or used - low powered computer like Zotac MAG or ZBOX. then can be had for cheap on ebay then again use something like OpenElec above...disconnect...enjoy

reuse - doesn't neccessaraly meet the low power req but cost saved and keeping a device out of land fill yada-yada-...older comp with drives and video removed and boot from SD or USB using a dedicated XBMC install...disconnect...enjoy
re-purpose - old OG XBOX can be had for like $20/six pack/a simple "thanks!". the audio out isnt playing 24/192 but it does have a pretty darn good built in DAC or even sidif out with the HD (ish) cable. install/configure XBMC4XBOX on it....disconnect...enjoy

i use all of the above except the RasberryPi setup just for music around my home/yard and office....none of them are connected to a monitor/tv nor used as my primary HTPC.

i am curious what path you take (or took...this post was from awhile ago :-) )

Small group of xbmc supporters are talking about this concept here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1188356

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC as audio only streaming client?0