[Apple TV 1] How well does CrystalBuntu handle HD without a Broadcom Card?
I've just bought 2 ATV1s to replace my ageing xbox's.

I bought one Broadcom BCM70015, to enable one box to handle FullHD.

The other, I did'nt bother because, I needed to keep the onboard Wifi card,
and it is going to be used on a 720p TV.

I have just installed CrystalBuntu on the 720p ATV1 box (without BCM card).
720p and 1080p mkv playback, are very slow and laggy...

I expected 1080p not to work (although I had hoped for downscaling),
but why is 720p not working?

Can CrystalBuntu, not handle a 720p mkv, and I in fact need a BCM card for that?
Or Have I misconfigured something.

Any help appreciated...
the old aTV just doesn't have the horsepower to play 720p .mkv :/

I run mine with BC card and Crystalbuntu and it plays 720/1080 without stuttering. Just plain beautiful Smile
Im afaraid you have to buy another BC card for your second aTV.
(2012-04-16, 16:15)Bagheera Wrote: the old aTV just doesn't have the horsepower to play 720p .mkv :/

I run mine with BC card and Crystalbuntu and it plays 720/1080 without stuttering. Just plain beautiful Smile
Im afaraid you have to buy another BC card for your second aTV.

Ok, thanks for the info, I'll source a BCM70012 (I don't need the better card, because it's only for 720).

So far I'm very happy with the ATV, It's faster that my old xbox, and when I get the card, It'll do the HD stuff, that the xbox can't.

"Beautiful" - as you say Smile
Actually, the CPU is enough to play some profiles of h.264 in 720 (such as those that match typical iTunes video specs).

However.... Go with the Broadcom Crystal HD (wiki). It makes a world of difference, even with the cheaper "12" version ($15 from eBay).
got with the 15 version, it's much faster load loading firmware and runs much cooler than the 12 version. It also supports hw scaling and can handle more 'strange' h264 formats than the 12. Money well spent if you ask me.
(2012-04-17, 05:19)Ned Scott Wrote: Actually, the CPU is enough to play some profiles of h.264 in 720 (such as those that match typical iTunes video specs).

However.... Go with the Broadcom Crystal HD (wiki). It makes a world of difference, even with the cheaper "12" version ($15 from eBay).

(2012-04-17, 11:47)davilla Wrote: got with the 15 version, it's much faster load loading firmware and runs much cooler than the 12 version. It also supports hw scaling and can handle more 'strange' h264 formats than the 12. Money well spent if you ask me.

Thanks for you advice - I had misread the specs and thought it could handle all 720p content,
It's not a big deal, and I have ordered a "12" version (It's only going to run on a 32" 720p Tv),
I have the "15" for the main living HD Tv,.

Since I've never tried the ATV1s as a An XBMC, I'm curious to try the different models out, side by side.
Where can the 970015 be bought from? I can't find any suppliers in the UK, not even on ebay.
supplier from ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BCM970015-Broadc...2c5b218384

item#190507484036

i have purchased from this vendor and they arrive fast and work well in the ATV 1

I bought mine form here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/hyunilpaik/m.h...1439.l2654

arrived in one week...easy to install and made a HUGE difference.....just do it!

M
In the end I got another ATV2 - it really was the cost of running the ATV1 that made me realise even at the inflated price I paid for ATV2 it would pay for itself in 18 months (plus less faffing about!)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV 1] How well does CrystalBuntu handle HD without a Broadcom Card?0