Switch profiles from main menu?
Hello!

I have just finished setting up a second user profile on xbmc for kids' TV shows and movies. This is brilliant as the kids section now has its own metadata and library, where as before I was just using files view which was much less, well, fun.

My problem is that xbmc's method for switching between profiles is (still) cumbersome - as far as I can tell there are three ways:

- Log out/restart and enable the login screen
- Go into System > Profiles and select load profile from the contextual menu
- Add a LoadProfile(user) to the keymap.

The last one is the least user-unfriendly and is what I am currently using, but it doesn't score very highly on the WAF scale…

What I would like to know is if there is any way (script/favouites hack?) to add a link to the other profile to the Aeon Nox main menu? I would like a menu entry that says Kids which, when selected, switches to the kids profile (and vice-versa).

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance!

xi
+1 for this

@ximon

have your parent profile a password protection ? I have the same problem with childs. Second problem is that i work with suspend mode and after wake up xbmc starts with the last active profile Sad

Greets
Eisi
Mine isn't alllowed the remote yet, so no need for a password. The kids profile is just to keep children's content separate from our library. Until Eden files mode did the trick, but now the 'hide watched' toggle applies globally to library views and file views and it's a PITA to keep toggling it on and off - plus it is nice to have full metadata and fanart for the kids shows too!

User profiles are great, but we really need some kind of fast user switching in xbmc, plus maybe an option to log out of the current profile on suspend or after a period of inactivity.
can be added easily to home menu in nox 3.0:
main menu item type = custom
choose item --> enter LoadProfile(profilename)
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
@Phil

Thanks for the tip. It works very well, but if a have a user with password protection i could not switch to this profile. If i disable the password i could switch.

Greets
Eisi
That's great news, phil65!

Another reason for me to look forward to the nox 3.0 release…
I have a way of getting this to work in nox 2.0 for anyone who's interested.

Edit your favorites.xml file in userdata and add the following line between <favourites> and </favourites>:

Code:
<favourite name="Kids">LoadProfile(Kids)</favourite>

This creates a favourites entry that switches to the user profile 'Kids'. Now you can add this to the Aeon nox main menu as a favourites shortcut!

You'll obviously need to do this the other way round in the kids profile to get back to the master user.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I came across this when google and while the solution works in part, it ONLY works if the profile you are switching to isn't password protected. As soon as you switch protection on the fovourite stops working.

Anyone got a solution for quick protected profile switching?

I'm trying to do the same and implement parental controls, and I agree it would be good if there was the option to apply a time out on passworded profiles, so that after a period of inactivity they locked themselves. As my kids get older and more tech savvy, I'll be disappointed if they don't have the ingenuity to get around my attempts at parental control, but for now it's enough
Instead of

Code:
LoadProfile(profilename)

use

Code:
LoadProfile(profilename,prompt)

This way, if the profile is password protected, you will be prompted to enter the password.

For the auto logout on idle check this posting for inspiration. You may want to check which profile is active and only do the logout for the parent profile and not for the kids profile. Also , the "while 1:" should be replaced by "while not xbmc.abortRequested:" so that the script is stopped when XBMC quits.
(2012-04-17, 16:23)Eisi2005 Wrote: Second problem is that i work with suspend mode and after wake up xbmc starts with the last active profile Sad

(2012-10-15, 12:01)zukkster Wrote: ... it would be good if there was the option to apply a time out on passworded profiles, so that after a period of inactivity they locked themselves.

I have added support for both to the service.defaultprofile add-on. Depending on whether or not the login screen is enabled, the add-on will either log you out or switch to the configured default profile after resume / period of inactivity.
(2012-04-17, 17:32)phil65 Wrote: can be added easily to home menu in nox 3.0:

This is great, thanks phil65. I've really no need for a second profile, and only two as a work around to use two different audio profiles. This little customization saves me having to manually enter settings > system and edit audio output every time I need to change (which is often).
(2013-01-29, 22:11)jackhulk Wrote:
(2012-04-17, 17:32)phil65 Wrote: can be added easily to home menu in nox 3.0:

This is great, thanks phil65. I've really no need for a second profile, and only two as a work around to use two different audio profiles. This little customization saves me having to manually enter settings > system and edit audio output every time I need to change (which is often).

nice to see people using the forum seach function. doesn´t happen too often Wink
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
Edit: Had issue but figured it out.
(2012-10-22, 13:45)leechguy Wrote: Instead of

Code:
LoadProfile(profilename)

use

Code:
LoadProfile(profilename,prompt)

This way, if the profile is password protected, you will be prompted to enter the password.

For the auto logout on idle check this posting for inspiration. You may want to check which profile is active and only do the logout for the parent profile and not for the kids profile. Also , the "while 1:" should be replaced by "while not xbmc.abortRequested:" so that the script is stopped when XBMC quits.

@leechguy

Would you please elaborate on what exactly you meant by,

Quote:the "while 1:" should be replaced by "while not xbmc.abortRequested:" so that the script is stopped when XBMC quits

in short,
I'm trying to figure out how to implement your suggestion, but I'm currently unable to understand how to do so without breaking the functionality of the original script.

I'm currently running 19.4 with three active profiles, "all un-secured ", and would like to have Kodi Logout of what ever profile might be left sitting idle, "ie. 15 min", to the login screen, and then, if possible, have Kodi to Quit completely, if then left idle another, "ie. 10-15 min" "if that makes any sense"

For now,
I would be ecstatic to just have the first part figured out and functioning, So, any Help will be greatly appreciated.

My Humble Thanks, Gladly Given, in advance!
(2022-06-04, 16:28)phatboyj Wrote: Would you please elaborate on what exactly you meant by

Mr LeechGuy hasn't visited our forum for almost two years now.
You're also reacting to a forum thread from 9 years ago.
I think the Aeon Nox skins have been changed quite a bit since then.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switch profiles from main menu?1