Best remote for XBMC?
can that remote control the tv as well?
(2013-11-23, 09:16)Sam@Qubi Wrote: Quick question, if I was to release the remote on my kickstarter as a remote only and provide keymap files for window, mac, linux, rasberry pi, android etc is that something the community would be interested in??

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qubi...ade-simple

That looks really interesting. I have a custom built HTPC and I've been trying to find a nice remote but they all have some kind of problem.

I have some questions too, but sorry they aren't quick. Big Grin

I would like RF and not IR. The description says "WiFi Direct" what does that mean?
Does the remote go to sleep if unused?
How long does it take to connect and wake up?
In resuming from wake up is the first button press lost?
What kind of battery life is expected between recharging?
Is this configured in Linux as a HID device, or would it use Lirc?
There are two home buttons? Do they send the same keypress?
Does the power button do anything weird like power off the remote as well, or does it just send the keypress?
Any idea on pricing? Nothing committal but a ballpark would be good.
How about a picture of the remote at a higher F-stop? Tongue

Anyway it looks great, I hope it's made available and doesn't have any deal-breaking issues.
@Sam@Qubi I would be interested in this remote if it works out of the box like the Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid for every operating system.
(2013-11-23, 19:47)dr88dr88 Wrote: @Sam@Qubi I would be interested in this remote if it works out of the box like the Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid for every operating system.

totally agree as thats what i suggested to Sam@Qubi on his thread Tongue

XBMC needs a dedicated remote with backlit keys that works out of the box!!

I say go for it and its a winner this time!!!!!!!!

Note that an AIR MOUSE feature would be awesome, like the MELE F10 PRO
which could be a base to reThink the remote if you want!
There's a button to activate or deactivate the Gyro, its awesome and really important,
but its missing backlit keys and dedicated xbmc functions :/

(make sure to also make a compatible version for the OUYA box)

thats why having the help of FLiRC.TV might simplify things,
we could only need to load the config file according to our Operating System
and the rest is history!!!!!!!

Rich u'll become Smile
(2013-11-23, 09:16)Sam@Qubi Wrote: Quick question, if I was to release the remote on my kickstarter as a remote only and provide keymap files for window, mac, linux, rasberry pi, android etc is that something the community would be interested in??

Go for it... Nod
I use a Streacom IR-Reciever& Remote Control

Works like a charm
@rogern: how do you type with it since it has no keyboard? lol

@Sam@Qubi:
This is the best place to find what users want out of a remote! Which buttons / Functions / Layout....
I would definitely Pledge and help you out on this new remote kickstarter campaign!!
The MELE F10 PRO is really popular in the HTPC community and it costs like $36 USD at amazon.com !!
but i would be willing to pay up to $50 for your unRivaled Qubi Remote that simply has it all!!

Call me crazy, but i always thought about this kind of setup,,,,

** We could have a remote that that has a gyro in it,
so we would have air mouse function like the MELE F10 PRO...
and this means a RF usb dongle to go along with it..
and its important (specially in XBMC) to be able to disable the Gyro if we want to
just like the on MELE with a single push of a button....

** then, we would need a nice backlit remote control with a keyboard on the back
that each button we press, no matter which one, it would send an IR signal.
this way, we could configure each button the easy way using the FLiRC.TV software!!
For any Operating System!! its cross platform!!
and of course we would we need the FLiRC.TV usb dongle...

** So basically, if we could finally combine those 2 usb dongles into 1,
even if the dongle ends up a little bit big, we would have best of both worlds!!
a FULLY BACKLIT AIR MOUSE remote control with a QWERTY KEYBOARD on the back
thats easy to configure and that works on ALL Platforms!!!!!

What do you think??

Very much yes!

That would be splendid.
Just make sure the remote, which probably will recognized as keyboard, will send sane scancodes, I'm tired from remapping hexcodes in hwdb to fix stupid decisions of Chinese OEM manufacturers.

I would pay 50$ for a good, smart, XBMC remote that works out of the box!
@eskro
I also use a Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400

imho if you got a smartphone (andriod) use Yatse (http://yatse.leetzone.org/redmine) less remotes laying around taking up space
(2013-11-24, 11:20)rogern Wrote: @eskro
I also use a Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400

How big is that device and what part of it do you use to controll xbmc? Do you need a skin with mouse support?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
(2013-11-24, 12:41)swetoast Wrote: imho if you got a smartphone (andriod) use Yatse (http://yatse.leetzone.org/redmine) less remotes laying around taking up space

Some people (like me Cool) prefer "old fashion" - button - remotes.... Nod
(2013-11-23, 12:07)verismo Wrote: can that remote control the tv as well?

Yes

(2013-11-23, 19:47)dr88dr88 Wrote: @Sam@Qubi I would be interested in this remote if it works out of the box like the Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid for every operating system.

Should do and I will be providing Keymaps, support etc aswell

(2013-11-23, 19:30)presslab Wrote:

That looks really interesting. I have a custom built HTPC and I've been trying to find a nice remote but they all have some kind of problem.

I have some questions too, but sorry they aren't quick. Big Grin

I would like RF and not IR. The description says "WiFi Direct" what does that mean?
Does the remote go to sleep if unused?
How long does it take to connect and wake up?
In resuming from wake up is the first button press lost?
What kind of battery life is expected between recharging?
Is this configured in Linux as a HID device, or would it use Lirc?
There are two home buttons? Do they send the same keypress?
Does the power button do anything weird like power off the remote as well, or does it just send the keypress?
Any idea on pricing? Nothing committal but a ballpark would be good.
How about a picture of the remote at a higher F-stop? Tongue

Anyway it looks great, I hope it's made available and doesn't have any deal-breaking issues.

RF with programmable ir
Yes
Extremely fast/almost instant
No
Unsure should be weeks depending on usage
HID for Rf Lirc for Ir
No different (on android, small home is mapped to xbmc home screen, big home is mapped to android launcher so to be used from other apps)
Just sends the keypress
Just released pricing for my campaign $40 + $15 international post
Founder of the Qubi Console

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best remote for XBMC?0