Best remote for XBMC?
Hi,

I'm a new XBMC user since yesterday (after I realized I had all the hardware lying around to build an HTPC) and I'm controlling it via my iPod Touch. So far so good. But it doesn't really match the feel and ease of use of a physical remote...

So my question is: what cheap remote would you recommend? I don't need the remote with three LED displays on it that can dim the lights and close the windows, just something that could easily and efficiently control XBMC on my TV.

I've seen some remotes like this one on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-Wireless-Medi...526wt_1110

Do you think it is any good? If not, what kind of remote would you recommend?

Thank you!
I have 2 of these and am very happy with them.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-In...407&sr=8-1

It is great for XBMC, and the range on the signal seems pretty good. I have 2 friends that bought them on my recommendation and both are pleased. Its not a fancy logitech harmony, but it zips around xbmc just fine.

GL with your search.
Yes, I have it too. The only issue is, that the exit / esc key is in the middle of the bottom buttons - and this is one of the more important xbmc keys.
I prefer the harmony, you can add custom keys and have clear text display / illumination. it is easier to handle and more intuitive according to the key locations of menu, exit, guide and info buttons (Harmony 890). I mean, it is not only the pc, you have to control the tv set, the amp, the sat-receiver, then the shades, the light and all other stuff..
You end up joggling a lot of remotes in the end.
Odd, I rarely ever use the exit/esc button. It is labeled clear on the remote I linked. I guess it all depends on how you use it. I tend to use the back button constantly, which is in a very easy to use location. I have a harmony remote and haven't really bothered setting it up. I use 2 remotes on my setup, but I don't have a big sound system or other components. The harmony 1 that I have is nice, but for my setup is overkill. I might dig into it again at some point, but when I watch my TV it is 99% xbmc. I will say, I wish I could get the remote I linked to simply power the TV on and off.
I got one of those since it was the cheapest was I coudl get an IR receiver for myu Harmony. It works well, though.

But i prefer my ProMini RF/Harmony combo Though for the price, you can;t really go wrong with the Ortek.
sam_1421, i made an HTPC guide just for that
Thanks for the replies, I bid on the one you recommended me, it's pretty cheap Smile Thanks!
OK so I bought the cheap Windows 7 one (http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-In...407&sr=8-1) and received it today. It worked right out of the box, but there are some problems and I wonder if it can be fixed.

For example, the middle green button would be perfect for a "home menu" key, but it just opens Windows Media Center. Also, pause doesn't work on music files.

Another problem is that when I click the "i" button, it just sends a right click where the mouse last was (instead of on the selected movie).

So to those who have this remote, do you know any way to fix these issues?

Thanks!
(2012-05-26, 18:00)sam_1421 Wrote: For example, the middle green button would be perfect for a "home menu" key, but it just opens Windows Media Center.

In Windows 7, go to 'Programs And Features' then to 'Turn Windows Features on Or Off'. In there you can uninstall Windows Media Center entirely, ensuring that the 'Green Button' never launches Windows Media Center.
Oh, and do NOT buy the Diamond GRC100 MCE Remote (I think it's sold under a few different brandnames too). While it's a fine MCE remote for Windows Media Center, it doesn't use the eHome driver and so it doesn't work wiht the MCERemote addon or any of those other eHome tools. Guh, that was a failed purchase of my first remote. :X
I bought myself a Rii N7 for my remote. I havn't received mine yet but from what I hear its a damn good mini wireless keyboard remote and only $30 or so on ebay. It should work just like any keyboard would so there shouldn't be any extra setup in xbmc.

since both i've owned were epic fails,
i avoid rii's at all costs Tongue
I had the VisionTek CandyBoard, which is a clone/rebadge/something of the classic Rii Mini, the one with the right hand side touch pad. It would often give me trouble connecting to the reciever and now it refuses to connect to the reciever entirely. :X So I have a $50 dud. :/
For balance, I have both the Bluetooth and RF Rii keyboards, and both work flawlessly. love 'em. Though I prefer the RF as it lets me into my BIOS and works through walls better than the BT version.

The only thing I dislike about them is no modifier keys on the right, and no scroll functions, which appear to be remedied on the one you ordered.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best remote for XBMC?0