Eden, Zotac Zbox and bitstreaming
Question 
Hi!
I want to get a Zotac Zbox and install XBMC on it to play audio and video files. I plan on it going into an AVR and then an HDTV by connecting them with HDMI cables. However, I've read that those Zotac units don't support bitstreaming. Does it mean there would be no audio? I'm confused by this. Can someone explain that to me? Thanks!
Not sure what you are trying to say but I have a couple of Zboxes sitting here and they all doing fine with regard on XBMC.
(2012-04-18, 21:47)bitcat70 Wrote: However, I've read that those Zotac units don't support bitstreaming. Does it mean there would be no audio? I'm confused by this. Can someone explain that to me? Thanks!
You still can get audio, but it'll be in LPCM. It just mean that your HTPC is doing the decoding instead of bitstreaming to your AVR for decoding.......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Did you mean LPCM? Anyway, in one of your posts (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...+bitstream) you mentioned that Zotac firmware might not allow bitstreaming. Thus my concern. I'm also not familiar with the use of the term when applied to this environment, e.g. Zbox->AVR->HDTV only using HDMI cabling; so I thought that could mean no audio unless a separate audio cable is used which I'd rather avoid. So, if I get one of those, either Intel or AMD based, and only use HDMI cables to connect everything there will be sound?
(2012-04-19, 22:53)bitcat70 Wrote: Did you mean LPCM? Anyway, in one of your posts (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...+bitstream) you mentioned that Zotac firmware might not allow bitstreaming. Thus my concern. I'm also not familiar with the use of the term when applied to this environment, e.g. Zbox->AVR->HDTV only using HDMI cabling; so I thought that could mean no audio unless a separate audio cable is used which I'd rather avoid. So, if I get one of those, either Intel or AMD based, and only use HDMI cables to connect everything there will be sound?
Yes, most Zotac Zbox hardware is capable of bitstreaming the highest DTS-HD, TrueHD, etc. Since they don't state it in their spec, you have to confirm it with them to make sure that it can bitstream it.

You need to do as below to get the best video and audio-

1. connect your system this way- Zbox HDMI output-->AVR HDMI input-->from AVR HDMI output to HDTV HDMI input using two HDMI cables
2. update the latest GPU driver from here- AMD or Nvidia
3. select HDMI audio output in Windows 7 control panel and XBMC audio output

If you want more information on bitstreaming, you can check out the guide in my signature below....
Thank for your answer! However it raises a question (as many answers do): do I have to load Win 7 on it? Would it work with XBMCbuntu? Or that OpenELEC thing?
(2012-04-20, 19:06)bitcat70 Wrote: Thank for your answer! However it raises a question (as many answers do): do I have to load Win 7 on it? Would it work with XBMCbuntu? Or that OpenELEC thing?
For bitstreaming the highest DTS-HD, TrueHD, etc audio, you'll need Windows 7.....you can have a full license Windows 7 for $68 from here- Microsoft Windows 7

Ah, I see. Thanks for the link. Still, I'd rather avoid Windows overhead so I'll go with XBMCbuntu. My need is to be able to play audio files (CD rips) and DVDs (also ripped). It doesn't have to play in surround. Stereo is fine. So would my hypothetical setup work for this simple need?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Eden, Zotac Zbox and bitstreaming0