Cant change skin from Back row
Hi,

I recently upgraded my linux ubuntu version to the latest and also used the opportunity to upgrade xbmc to 11.0-Eden.

I changed from my normal skin to Back Row just to check that things were still working, but now I can't seem to change it to any other skin?

When going to the skin details, I cannot arrow down to the content and make any changes? Hopefully I'm doing something stupid Huh

I'm at work at the moment, so if any specifics are needed, I can provide later, but just wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issue?

Thanks in advance for any details people might have.

Regards
Hi there - that's a bit weird. So let's see you've gone into "Settings" then "Appearance" and can't move down from the skin menu header in order to change the skin - is that right? Have you tried with a keyboard, mouse or remote?

I don't have a linux version to hand so it's hard to test be useful if anyone else could confirm or not.

(2012-04-20, 08:19)Sharpe Wrote: Hi there - that's a bit weird. So let's see you've gone into "Settings" then "Appearance" and can't move down from the skin menu header in order to change the skin - is that right? Have you tried with a keyboard, mouse or remote?

I don't have a linux version to hand so it's hard to test be useful if anyone else could confirm or not.

Thanks for your response Sharpe,

Yep, that's the issue - can't move down from the header selection to change the skin (or any other parameters). I've tried the keyboard...as I physically moved the HTPC to my router to download all the new s/w, and then set-up back in the lounge and tried my generic remote and my universal remote, but all to no avail.

It is indeed weird and that's why I wondered if I did something strange?

I'm heading home from work soon so will try later and post up my specific config details.

Nothing against the skin (I like it), but obviously I would like the option to change as well Big Grin

ok your in linux.. take the frontrow folder from the addons directory and move it somewhere else and restart your computer.. it will resort back to confluence..
In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates, open source, opens minds, so open yours today.

Yes moving the backrow folder somewhere else would revert back to Confluence but still it's a pretty major bug if that's happening in Linux - I'll try it out when I get home.
Thanks guys,

My next question was going to be what tweaks behind the scenes do I need to perform to rectify the issue....

After further testing though, it does look like a bug in the version I'm using.

From what I can deduce, it affects any multi-tab system type screens under the settings section, and it seems you can only navigate horizontally, but not vertically. If the screen has one tab, then you can navigate horizontally. Currently using a keyboard input to test.

Although I'm naively guessing it's a software issue, system info included just in case:

XBMC 11.0 Git: - Compiled 24/03/2012
Screen resolution: 1680x1050
OS Linux 2.6.38-14-generic #58 ubuntu smp tue 27/03/2012

Hardware
CPU Intel Pentium 4 3.50Ghz

Video

GeForce GT 420/PCI/SSE2
GL Version: 4.1.0 NVIDIA 270.41.06

Regards
Thanks kinmad

Well it's not something that's happening under my own windows installation - so could be Linux specific. Could you try enabling the mouse and let me know if you can select the lower vertical options using the mouse.
Hi again,

Probably a silly question, but I do not seem to be able to use a mouse on xbmc? The mouse is defintely working as I can exit XMBC and use it within linux, but not within xbmc?

Also, moving the add on folders doesn't seem to fix the skin selection.

I assume I need to update the <lookandfeel> xml entry in guisettings.xml?

Cheers

Yep....updating guisettings did he trick Smile
You should be able to enable the mouse in System settings I think.
Tried that..mouse pointer appears, but cannot navigate.

Anyway...I've got the skin back to my preference, so if it's all right with you, I'll let yourself and others work through any remaining issues, as I'm back where I need to be...including adjusting bob-light settings to get rid of jerking video...Oh the joys of upgrades Smile

Now onto my flaky wifi settings .....

Thanks for all your help! Really appreciate it, and all the hard work the skin designers and programmers put into xbmc!

Regards
(2012-04-20, 05:27)kinmad Wrote: I changed from my normal skin to Back Row just to check that things were still working, but now I can't seem to change it to any other skin?

When going to the skin details, I cannot arrow down to the content and make any changes

Regards

I got the exact same problem running win7
I also had the same problem. Only it is even more confusing now. There is no "Appearance' option under settings. Just "Skin Settings". So there is no way to change the skin once you're in. I tried to disable and/or uninstall the skin as well, but the options were grayed out. I'm going to try your advice above about moving the folder and rebooting. Then I'm deleting the skin.
This is a very old thread you've dug up. It might even pre-date the new way skins behave when installing.

Try going into addons and installing a new skin - then when it asks if you want to switch to that skin, do that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cant change skin from Back row0