• 26(current)
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)
(2013-06-16, 17:47)fernandovg Wrote: Is the backup complete or copy only what changed? Can I choose the destination folder of dropbox? Thanks

Each backup is a complete backup of the files/folders selected. This is so that restores can be easily done by just picking the day you want. Within Dropbox you can't choose a folder. The app is only given permissions within the "Apps" folder of Dropbox so it can only read/write to that directory.

(2013-06-17, 05:51)Ghostdivision Wrote: I was just thinking about a backup for htpc, and im wondering if this approach is better than doing a system image file on windows?

I was thinking this might be better if i update my os from windows 7 to windows 8 in the future can I restore xbmc yetHuh If this is the case then this would be ideal.

One question though i dont know if rob you use rom collection browser or anything like that but i take it if i install a new os, and restore, would RCB have to be completely re-done, or would my games and images show up and I can just correct the paths to the roms? Roms currently mostly have to be installed locally on my machine/htpc, so I im just wondering to what end this addon will back things up as the location of the roms on the machine would likely change if I upgrade the OS and need to re-add them to the my pc. I guess the same principle would be for movies or music, if you had those on your htpc, and did a backup elsewhere, and installed a new os and then put the movies back on the htpc, the location might change then, would the images and artwork should up, and you could simply fix the location path to your movies? Or would you have to rescan everything?

Similarly i use advanced launcher to launch a web browser and added that entry to my skin menu, would that still be present (the web entry in my skin) and I could just correct the path to the browser to launch in chrome?

Im just trying to understand to what extent this backup will restore everything.

This addon will backup pretty much anything located within the local xbmc profile. In Win 7 this is C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\XBMC. This includes all artwork, local databases, addon data (including RCB data), addons, config files, etc. The additional two directories outside of XBMC are for any other directories that may be local to your machine that you want backed up. In your case this could be the location of your ROMS if you wanted, although I wouldn't recommend it. The main purpose of the outside directories was to capture configuration information for other programs that may be critical to running your XBMC system (running eventghost, using OpenELEC and have other config, etc).

I can't speak for RCB specifically, you may be able to edit some config files manually, but for XBMC media if the paths change you're going to have to rescrape it. If you search the forums you may be able to find an SQL query that you can use to modify the database and update the paths that way, but that's a little advanced if you want to go that route. This addon will restore things in XBMC the way they were, so any changes you've made after that you'll have to play with those. Regarding your skin entry, as long as the skin source is in the local profile folder and you are backing up the addons it will get copied as well. A good test would just be to run a backup, and then look in the backup folder and see what data you grabbed. If you've checked all the options in the settings it should be pretty much everything you need from XBMC if you rebuild the machine.
I did not check fanart/posters as they are present by my collection. After importing i don't see any posters and fanart being restored. Is there a way to fix this without re-scraping my whole library again?
Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro, Nvidia Shield 2015
(2013-07-14, 13:11)Baswazz Wrote: I did not check fanart/posters as they are present by my collection. After importing i don't see any posters and fanart being restored. Is there a way to fix this without re-scraping my whole library again?

Just to understand this right you didn't use the Backup addon to export your fanart/posters because you are doing a library export as well so they exist there - is this right?

Did you happen to export your database files? I had thought that xbmc should check the database file for fanart/poster location and then re-download them if they do not exist as part of the image cache already. If this isn't happening then xbmc must not know where to look to find these items.

One thing you could try is doing another export of your library but do not export the fanart - this should update your NFO files to be as current as possible. Then reimport the whole thing. Time consuming but it might be the only way to get everything working again.
Quote:I can't see any restore points when choosing "Restore", what is the problem?

If you've created restore points with an older version of the addon (pre 0.3.6) you may see this issue. New versions of the addon look for a file called xbmcbackup.val to validate that a folder is a valid restore archive. Your older restore folders may not have this file. All you need to do is create a blank text file and rename it to xbmcbackup.val. Then put this file inside the archive directory. Your restore points should show up after selecting "Restore" in the addon again.

Hi

Ive done this but still it wont see the backup to restore. Anything else I can try?
(2013-08-15, 18:00)umanbean Wrote:
Quote:I can't see any restore points when choosing "Restore", what is the problem?

If you've created restore points with an older version of the addon (pre 0.3.6) you may see this issue. New versions of the addon look for a file called xbmcbackup.val to validate that a folder is a valid restore archive. Your older restore folders may not have this file. All you need to do is create a blank text file and rename it to xbmcbackup.val. Then put this file inside the archive directory. Your restore points should show up after selecting "Restore" in the addon again.

Hi

Ive done this but still it wont see the backup to restore. Anything else I can try?

To give some more info on my problem. I backed up everything to an other PC on the LAN using the xbmcbackup add on with xbmcububtu. I've now installed xbmc on windows (13 Gotham) and installed the xbmcbackup add-on. Connecting to the LAN PC is not a problem and it finds the directory where the backup is stored but shows the directory as empty!! xbmxbackup.val is in the folder .
What else can I try? . I dont want to have to completely rebuild the whole install from scratch.
I figured you must be trying this from a new install as there is no reason the addon wouldn't show your restore points if you did everything from the same system. Without a debug log from the machine you are trying to restore from I can't tell a whole lot, but here are a few things to check.

1) there actually are some restore points in the backup folder? Sometimes people think they've done a backup and because of network permissions none of the files actually get written.
2) when setting up the new addon you set the backup location correctly? If you folder structure is \\Server\backups\ use that as the root directory. don't set it to \\Server\backups\20130816 - that is incorrect.

The restore point listing is really nothing more than a file listing from a directory. If xbmc is looking in the right spot and can see the folder on the network that is all that really has to happen. A debug log might be the next best step here.

If you're just sick of messing with it, just manually copy the files/folders from your backup to the new system and put them in the right places. If it's on Windows it would only take a few minutes, kind of defeats the purpose of the addon I know but if you're having issues it might just make life easier.
Where is the .val file saved?
It should be in the root each of backup. For instance, if your backup directory is \\Server\backups\ and you ran a backup today you'd have a folder with today's date, 20130818. The xbmcbackup.val file would be within that folder. \\Server\backups\20130818\xbmcbackup.val
Guys,

I backed up before establishing a destination path or Dropbox account, what is the backup default directory (Apple TV 2)?
The default backup directory is blank, which generally means the root "/" of the file system. I tried this on my setup just now and that is what happened. This is probably not the ideal location for your stuff since it is on the same device as the original data. Also, depending on what user the xbmc process is running as you may or may not be able to write to this location anyway. I would set the path for where you actually want the backups to go and run it again.
Pushed a new feature to Git today. In the scheduler you can now specify "Just Once" in addition to the other scheduling options. As expected this will run the scheduler just once at the specified time and then disable the scheduler. This will help in those situations when you want to do a backup but don't necessarily want to stop using XBMC for the 10-20 minutes it might take to transfer all your data right then. This way you can schedule a "one-off" without needing to remember to turn the scheduler off later.

I'll push this to the main repo within the week. Anyone interested can pull from the git repo.
Hi, have been trying to get XBMC backup to work with drop box and sftp and both have failed

dropbox starts and sftp just plain fails

when i use sftp i get this error
18:48:58 T:2932864064 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Source: /home/pi/.xbmc/
18:49:20 T:2902455360 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
18:49:21 T:2835346496 NOTICE: Thread XBPyThread start, auto delete: false
18:49:21 T:2835346496 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
18:49:52 T:2835346496 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Starting
18:49:52 T:2835346496 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Local Dir: /home/pi/.xbmc/
18:49:52 T:2835346496 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Remote Dir: sftp://rpi:[email protected]/shares/rpi/20130826/
18:49:52 T:2835346496 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Mode - Backup
18:49:53 T:2835346496 ERROR: Create - Error creating sftp://rpi:[email protected]/shares/rpi/20130826/
18:49:53 T:2835346496 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Creating Files List
18:49:53 T:2835346496 ERROR: Create - Error creating sftp://rpi:[email protected]/shares/rpi/20130826/addons

I vied the log by logging into the rpi xbmc.log

also I am using Raspbmc

Now I just ran the XBMC backup with DropxBOX
I was able to backup to DropBox, but when I tried restoring the same one it fails, here is the log, the first part is the BackUp log, the second part is the restore

19:24:26 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Starting
19:24:26 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Local Dir: /home/pi/.xbmc/
19:24:26 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Remote Dir: /20130826/
19:24:26 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Mode - Backup
19:24:32 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Creating Files List
19:24:46 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Writing files to: /20130826/
19:24:46 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Source: /home/pi/.xbmc/
19:46:10 T:2902455360 NOTICE: Thread XBPyThread start, auto delete: false
19:46:11 T:2902455360 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:46:14 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: {u'referral_link': u'http://db.tt/1adPH6o0', u'display_name': u'Jack Sorter', u'uid': 206431092, u'country': u'', u'quota_info': {u'shared': 0, u'quota': 2147483648L, u'normal': 52400569}, u'email': u'[email protected]'}
19:46:14 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Starting
19:46:25 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Local Dir: /home/pi/.xbmc/
19:46:25 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Remote Dir: /20130826/
19:46:25 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Mode - Restore
19:46:26 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Creating Files List
19:53:38 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Writing files to: /home/pi/.xbmc/
19:53:39 T:2902455360 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup: Source: /20130826/
20:00:03 T:2902455360 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <class 'resources.lib.dropbox.rest.RESTSocketError'>
Error Contents: Error connecting to "api-content.dropbox.com": [Errno 0] _ssl.c:340: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/pi/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmcbackup/default.py", line 32, in <module>
backup.run(mode)
File "/home/pi/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmcbackup/resources/lib/backup.py", line 278, in run
self.backupFiles(fileGroup['files'],self.remote_vfs,self.xbmc_vfs)
File "/home/pi/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmcbackup/resources/lib/backup.py", line 298, in backupFiles
source.get_file(aFile,dest.root_path + aFile[len(source.root_path):])
File "/home/pi/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmcbackup/resources/lib/vfs.py", line 169, in get_file
f = self.client.get_file(source).read()
File "/home/pi/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmcbackup/resources/lib/dropbox/client.py", line 391, in get_file
return self.rest_client.request("GET", url, headers=headers, raw_response=True)
File "/home/pi/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmcbackup/resources/lib/dropbox/rest.py", line 250, in request
return cls.IMPL.request(*n, **kw)
File "/home/pi/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmcbackup/resources/lib/dropbox/rest.py", line 177, in request
raise RESTSocketError(host, e)
RESTSocketError: Error connecting to "api-content.dropbox.com": [Errno 0] _ssl.c:340: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)
-->End of Python script error report<--
20:00:45 T:2902455360 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true

THANKS
The first backup, the SFTP, had a pretty definite error. It looks like there is a problem writing files to the server. I would check and make sure the user you are logging in with actually has write permissions on that machine. There are probably lots of "Error creating ...." messages in the logs while the backup is running.

Code:
18:49:53 T:2835346496 ERROR: Create - Error creating sftp://rpi:[email protected]/shares/rpi/20130826/

For the dropbox side of things you are getting this error related to connecting to the dropbox website. It could be internet related or DNS related. Hard to say. You could try just pinging api-content.dropbox.com from that machine and see if you can even resolve it for starters. Why are you getting this on restore and not backup? Hard to say, they could be using two different sub domains for uploading vs content access, I really don't know. I tried both a backup and restore on my machine just now and they worked 100%.

Code:
Error Contents: Error connecting to "api-content.dropbox.com": [Errno 0] _ssl.c:340: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)
Thaks Rob for your reply, I have been at this for days, and finally decided to submit in a forum.

I pinged api-content.dropbox.com, and this is the response

and there is NO response at all, will try a direct connect to the main router

in the meantime, I would also like to use the sftp, I believe I did everything right, I even made sure that the userid is in user_list in the /etc folder

what I am using is a WD Mybook Live 2TB as my network drive and trying to backup to it through the WAN IP

Thanks
So anyways, I pinged from the NAS drive and still no ping response, I also tried a web based ping and still got no response, tried ping.eu with 100 % packet loss

I also tried http://network-tools.com/default.asp?pro...ropbox.com with 100% packet loss.

I'm using a Rpi with a SD card running Raspbmc, new install, just installed XBMC Backup, put in the credentials for DropBox, updated the dropbox permission, then clicked ok, when back, did a restore, goes for a bit, then fails. Logged into dropbox, and the previous restore's are there

Anyways if you have ideas, or what I can do with respect to sftp

many thanks
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)10