• 68(current)
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)
Thanks Rob. We Appreciate all your help.
Yes indeed! Thanks for this addon & the help Rob. Best addon out there if you care about your setup.
Ive found a temporary fix for this. If the path error occurs then go back into the open settings option and change the type path to browse path and browse to the temp folder here is the link to finding the special folder http://kodi.wiki/view/Special_protocol . You will have to have Show hidden files and folders ckecked in the system-> appearance-> file lists option in order to find the temp folder. If doing a restore then you will be faced with 2 files of the same name. Pick the top one as this is the unzipped file in the temp folder.
(2015-06-18, 06:03)ed_davidson Wrote: Ive found a temporary fix for this. If the path error occurs then go back into the open settings option and change the type path to browse path and browse to the temp folder here is the link to finding the special folder http://kodi.wiki/view/Special_protocol . You will have to have Show hidden files and folders ckecked in the system-> appearance-> file lists option in order to find the temp folder. If doing a restore then you will be faced with 2 files of the same name. Pick the top one as this is the unzipped file in the temp folder.

Thanks Ed. I already have a workaround for it. "The way I get around this is to play a movie for about 10 seconds or so then stop it. I go back to restore then it'll work." My settings are already on browse path. My FTP server is setup in File Manager as a network location. When it fails, the file is already downloaded, it really doesn't take long to extract & dump the backup files after starting & stopping a movie real quick.

I really appreciate the support here. Great and helpful community
May I ask what operating system are you on? Does the zip file and the extracted zip stay in your temp folder after you exit and reboot. The issue I'm having is I get these 2 big files staying in my temp folder after I do a restore and it takes up a lot of space.
Do you just play a movie from anywhere then?
Do you just play a movie from anywhere then?
(2015-06-19, 16:33)ed_davidson Wrote: May I ask what operating system are you on? Does the zip file and the extracted zip stay in your temp folder after you exit and reboot. The issue I'm having is I get these 2 big files staying in my temp folder after I do a restore and it takes up a lot of space.

Hi Ed. I'm on OSMC RC3 on the RPi 2. But it doesn't matter which OS or version of the RPi (1 or 2) I use. It's consistent & it happens with OpenELEC as well. I assume the zip backup file is in the temp folder but haven't really looked. I go to, not sure if we're allowed to say but, IceFilms or Genesis. Haven't tried with other addons or local movies. Here's the steps: Try to restore a backup, it'll fail. Do not reboot. Start a movie, play it for 10 seconds then stop. Do not reboot. Go back to restore, file is already downloaded as I don't see it pulling from my server again, and it starts extracting & dumping the backup. It never fails this way. I have done this multiple times. The weird part of this is if I make a brand new clean install of either OSMC or OpenELEC, it'll work without issue. The failure only happens on an already configured system.

After reading in this forum and my own troubleshooting, I could be very wrong (I'm not a coder), it seems that backup addon looks for the backup file it previously created in the temp folder, hence the unable to find path error. But if it deletes itself after creating the backup, it can no longer find the file (as expected) since it's deleted by the addon itself. Lets say you want to use a backup created by one RPi on another RPi, same version OS, it's not going to find that in a temp folder because it was created by another RPi so it'll fail. It should not look for a backup file in the temp folder before attempting to restore, if that makes sense. But again, I'm puzzled as to why it'll work on a clean new system, as it also didn't get created on that system so no temp file would exist. Or why it would work after playing a video in one of the addons. Write lock maybe? Or multiple issues leading to one error. Again, I'm not a coder & I could be way off. It's just my thought process that leads me to this.

All in all, even with the minor error, this is still the best backup out there. If playing a video for 10 seconds will do the trick, I'm ok with that.
Have you tried just doing the restore a second or third time without playing a movie? It does work sometimes for me.
(2015-06-19, 19:13)ed_davidson Wrote: Have you tried just doing the restore a second or third time without playing a movie? It does work sometimes for me.

Yes I've tried that but only 3 times, during one session. It failed on me. I haven't attempted that again
Cool I'll try the playing a movie thing.
First off - the zip file restore showing up as "Destination does not exist". I've been able to recreate this but not reliably. It seems like a 50/50 thing. My initial guess was that the OS was simply not reporting the files as "ready" due to them being extracted, but even a temporary sleep() call on the thread didn't seem to fix it. It's very random, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It is clear that if you just wait (watch a movie, whatever) it will pick it up the next time. I think this is because at that point the files already exist, they don't get cleaned up after the crash and are already there. Still working on this so hang tight I guess.

(2015-06-14, 17:57)kurai Wrote:
(2015-06-13, 23:24)Drdan Wrote: Hi Rob,
Thanks much for the backup addon. It works great on my minix android box.
I'm writing to request a "feature". What I need is the ability for the addon to recurse into all sub directories of the chosen custom directory. Currently I get everything in the custom folder but nothing, except the folder name, from any folders contained within the custom directory. I use 2 each 1tb local external drives for backup.
Thanks again for all the great work,
Dr Dan
+1 to this request from me.

I'm getting the same issue - when selecting a directory as custom backup target I was only getting the first level of contained subdirectories backed up, and they were empty. At first I thought it was a problem with hidden dirs (display hidden files option is turned on in Kodi appearance settings) like .config (on Linux based OpenElec), but creating a link (with ln -s) from .config to normal "un-hidden" folder /storage/testconfigbackup and using that as the custom target still gave the same issue.

Is there some technical reason I've missed that means recursing through sub-directories of a custom target is impossible ?

Thanks for pointing this out. I did some testing and you are sure right, it doesn't work. I think I pushed a fix to github. If you're the type of person that doesn't mind running off the "master" download it and try it out. I don't want to do a repo pull just yet as I'm hoping to fix the zip file restore problem as well.

(2015-06-17, 05:45)vudiff1 Wrote: Hi Rob. Great addon! I've been using this a lot the past few years. But I have a question, is there a way to omit the users' movie, tv and music collection from the restore process to where it keeps those files? Lets say I don't have any movie collections on RPi-1 but I want to have the same settings, addons, etc on RPi-2 but I don't want to wipe out my movie collection during the restore on RP-2. Is there a way to do that? Also, is there a way, using the same logic as above, to keep favorites saved in the addons during a restore?

You mean like the video/music database files right? If you want to omit them from the restore just uncheck them from the "file selection" menu in the addon settings. The settings work both ways. Whatever you have selected during the backup gets backed up, and whatever you have selected during the restore gets restored. If you only want to pull config files from the restore, for example, only check config files. Even if other stuff is in there, it will only restore those.

Not sure what you mean about "favorites saved in the addons" - like addon settings? Again, just don't restore those. Will that work for you?
(2015-06-17, 05:45)vudiff1 Wrote: Hi Rob. Great addon! I've been using this a lot the past few years. But I have a question, is there a way to omit the users' movie, tv and music collection from the restore process to where it keeps those files? Lets say I don't have any movie collections on RPi-1 but I want to have the same settings, addons, etc on RPi-2 but I don't want to wipe out my movie collection during the restore on RP-2. Is there a way to do that? Also, is there a way, using the same logic as above, to keep favorites saved in the addons during a restore?

You mean like the video/music database files right? If you want to omit them from the restore just uncheck them from the "file selection" menu in the addon settings. The settings work both ways. Whatever you have selected during the backup gets backed up, and whatever you have selected during the restore gets restored. If you only want to pull config files from the restore, for example, only check config files. Even if other stuff is in there, it will only restore those.

Not sure what you mean about "favorites saved in the addons" - like addon settings? Again, just don't restore those. Will that work for you?
[/quote]

Hi Rob. Yes, i was meaning the local video/music databases. I wasn't sure if system settings or other kodi settings are stored in the "database" or just the users' personal local movie/music collection. But I will try that.

"favorites saved in the addons" I was meaning saved tv shows in favorites of any addon. I have a lot of tv shows bookmarked/saved in a certain addon. I just didn't want to wipe those out during a restore. I realize there is an "addon data" tick box under "addons", but not sure if this is just the addon settings or any/all settings and favorites having to do with the addons.

Thank you for your time Rob.
@vudiff1 if you only want to omit the favourites from certain addons but not the settings from that userdata folder then you will have to restore all the addon_data then using a Mac or PC go in and delete the favourites folder. If you are doing that you might as well backup everything and adjust it on a computer later.
If you don't want the library messed with then delete the database folder as well.
Make sure to delete the movies and TVSHOWS folders on the Genesis USERDATA as well.
  • 68(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)10