• 42(current)
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)
(2014-04-03, 17:50)robweber Wrote: Just had a chance to look over the USB Wizard plugin. It appears that instead of restoring the guisettings.xml file it is just adding the missing skin settings by reading them from the old file and then using Skin.Set() to add them to the one running on the box. This is a very interesting way of updating the file.

The upside is that yes, you will get all of your skin related settings back. The downside is that any non-skin related settings like audio settings, video settings, services, timezone, location etc that are also stored in the guisettings.xml file are going to be missing. If there was a way to also insert these into the guisettings file then doing a "transfer" of settings instead of a replace might be a viable option.

It's interesting you say that as that's what the dev told me but all my settings are restoring. Like having audio as analog instead of hdmi, video calibration,
(2014-04-03, 10:31)Jarviss Wrote: Hi Rob.

Have you seen the latest version of xbmc USB wizard? It backs up the guisettings.xml and restores it perfectly. Doesn't need a restart after restore either. You should take a look.

Restoring settings without reboot is totally and utterly useless as settings are only read at startup and not during runtime
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Sorry. What I meant was I don't need to reboot my Linux box. It just restarts Xbmc and takes 2 seconds ranger than a full reboot so it's not useless for me.
(2014-04-03, 15:24)robweber Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 21:22)gibxxi Wrote: Rob, does XBMC Backup also backup the uPnPServer.xml file too? I ask for the same reason as Crssi. As it's been stated elsewhere that this file is unique to the machine it was created on, and should not be migrated to another machine. doing so may cause conflicts if/when both machines become active at the same time, thus both attempting to broadcast the same upnp data.

Since this is a "generic" xml file in the userdata folder it is most likely being backed up with the "config files" option. I took a quick look at the file and see there is a uuid being generated that is probably unique to the computer it was generated on. If you remove it xbmc does auto regenerate it as long as the UPNP server is enabled. I don't know if there are other custom settings you can store in this file as there was little information in the wiki (that I could find) about it. Might be worth excluding from the backup archives since it will get regenerated anyway.

OK, Thanks. Smile
I am using XBMCBackup on FireTV and it works beautifully....thanks!! However, there are couple of issues:

1. I have both Frodo and Gotham builds installed on my AFTV and need to back up the settings for both of them. I was hoping to use the same folder for backing up settings for both Frodo and Gotham, but it seems that is not possible. Let me know if this is expected behavior.

2. I am not able to navigate some of the NFS folders to specify the download path in the addon. I can see the folder, but cannot browse (see the contents) or select the folder (get an error). Kindly advice....thanks!!
(2014-04-17, 17:43)underworld123 Wrote: I am using XBMCBackup on FireTV and it works beautifully....thanks!! However, there are couple of issues:

1. I have both Frodo and Gotham builds installed on my AFTV and need to back up the settings for both of them. I was hoping to use the same folder for backing up settings for both Frodo and Gotham, but it seems that is not possible. Let me know if this is expected behavior.

2. I am not able to navigate some of the NFS folders to specify the download path in the addon. I can see the folder, but cannot browse (see the contents) or select the folder (get an error). Kindly advice....thanks!!

1. You should be able to specify the same path for both of them, although I would not recommend this. Mixing backups for two different versions of XBMC will get kind of confusing, what if you restore the wrong type onto an incompatible system? Unless you mean here you want to somehow merge the backups of each into the same folder, this isn't possible. Each backup will create a separate folder.

2. The NFS browsing functionality is actually part of XBMC, not the addon. The addon settings just provide an interface to launch the browser. My guess would be some sort of network or perhaps or a permissions issue if XBMC can't see the folders. There is probably some information in a debug log that would help troubleshoot this. NFS has some "gotchas" depending on the system running the NFS shares.
This addon is great, I've been using it to upload some specific setting to my Dropbox once a week , it only takes 10 mins and it done.

I've been using the custom folders function for this. I'm trying to replicate this with another addon but I only need to backup a single file , is there anyway to select the one file instead of the folder in this instance. I would select the whole folder but it take over 2 hours if I do it this way.

Thanks.
Should this work when moving from a 32bit version of XBMC (Openelec) to 64bit?

I had a quick go last night, but TVHeadend wouldn't work properly ("Tvheadend HTPS client connection lost") after a clean install and restoring a backup, but I'll give it another go tonight.
(2014-04-23, 22:16)zer04c Wrote: This addon is great, I've been using it to upload some specific setting to my Dropbox once a week , it only takes 10 mins and it done.

I've been using the custom folders function for this. I'm trying to replicate this with another addon but I only need to backup a single file , is there anyway to select the one file instead of the folder in this instance. I would select the whole folder but it take over 2 hours if I do it this way.

Thanks.

Now way to select a single file just yet. Probably wouldn't be that hard, I'll put it on the "to do" list. Could you just put this single file into a folder as a workaround?

(2014-04-24, 16:17)sausageman Wrote: Should this work when moving from a 32bit version of XBMC (Openelec) to 64bit?

I had a quick go last night, but TVHeadend wouldn't work properly ("Tvheadend HTPS client connection lost") after a clean install and restoring a backup, but I'll give it another go tonight.

Most addons will work going 32 to 64 since they use Python which would be platform independent. Binary addons (pvr stuff mostly) are another story. They are compiled for specific platforms so they probably won't transfer well to different types of systems. I thought OpenELEC camed shipped with pre-complied binaries for the pvr addons - are you actually restoring the addon or just it's settings?
(2014-04-24, 22:10)robweber Wrote:
(2014-04-24, 16:17)sausageman Wrote: Should this work when moving from a 32bit version of XBMC (Openelec) to 64bit?

Most addons will work going 32 to 64 since they use Python which would be platform independent. Binary addons (pvr stuff mostly) are another story. They are compiled for specific platforms so they probably won't transfer well to different types of systems. I thought OpenELEC camed shipped with pre-complied binaries for the pvr addons - are you actually restoring the addon or just it's settings?

Thanks, I've got it working now after numerous attempts. As you said, TVHeadend wouldn't update properly, unlike my other addons, so I deleted the TVH folders from the backup, restored the rest, then copied the addon data from my original install and everything is looking good!

Excellent addon, many thanks!
What am I doing wrong?
I backed up xbmc on my test pc (win7pro, frodo, aeon nox) this morning and restored it to my new PC (win8, frodo, aeon nox), and the movies all came in fine (all on my NAS), and the main artwork is there for each title, but absolutely NO "extrafanart" or "extrathumbs" are showing up. Even worse, it won't let me redo them (either as a new run of ArtDownloader, or individually on a movie at a time) as it seems to see that the image files exist in the appropriate folders for each movie.

I found, however, that I could delete the Textures13.db on the new PC and copy the old Textures13.db to the new database folder, and now it all looks great again.

The program description says it backs thumbnails up, so why did it not update the Textures13.db file?
Is this still alive? This is the most frustrating issue!!!
(2014-04-25, 06:10)Tjoe70s Wrote: What am I doing wrong?
I backed up xbmc on my test pc (win7pro, frodo, aeon nox) this morning and restored it to my new PC (win8, frodo, aeon nox), and the movies all came in fine (all on my NAS), and the main artwork is there for each title, but absolutely NO "extrafanart" or "extrathumbs" are showing up. Even worse, it won't let me redo them (either as a new run of ArtDownloader, or individually on a movie at a time) as it seems to see that the image files exist in the appropriate folders for each movie.

I found, however, that I could delete the Textures13.db on the new PC and copy the old Textures13.db to the new database folder, and now it all looks great again.

The program description says it backs thumbnails up, so why did it not update the Textures13.db file?

The program backups up lots of stuff. Did you check both the "database" and "thumnails/fanart" options when you ran the backup? Can you also confirm that when you did the restore it really did not update the Textures database file? I would imagine a reboot may be necessary after the restore to confirm everything syncs up correctly. To my knowledge only the guisettings file cannot be restored while xbmc is running.

(2014-04-25, 18:48)kodaxx Wrote: Is this still alive? This is the most frustrating issue!!!

Not sure what you mean here. This addon is very much alive, are you referring to some issue in particular?
(2014-04-28, 15:51)robweber Wrote:
(2014-04-25, 18:48)kodaxx Wrote: Is this still alive? This is the most frustrating issue!!!

Not sure what you mean here. This addon is very much alive, are you referring to some issue in particular?

Whatever issues he has are cleary not something you can help with Rob :p
My fanart.tv & themoviedb.org accounts.

I'm trying to write a script that will call a specific restore, and can see from the readme on github this is possible.

I'm very new to coding, and struggling to understand how to implement this.

Would you be so kind as to get me started?

Can I do this with python, or will I have to use JSON, and how do I locate the 'Archive' number?
My fanart.tv & themoviedb.org accounts.

• 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)10