• 72(current)
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)
(2015-07-18, 03:49)ed_davidson Wrote: Have you tried doing a force close after the backup finishes?

Need it to just write that script to the device from the archive during the restore process - openelec on Rpi2.
(2015-07-16, 21:29)mattmartinolc Wrote: Is there a way to make this addon backup and restore autostart.sh as part of the same process that backs up and restores the other files? The reason I ask is because I want it to restore guisettings.xml by placing my autostart.sh script in the directory with the following code:

I can hide a fresh guisettings.xml file in the xbmcbackup folder that would be copied into the userdata folder on startup, thus getting around that file being overwritten during shutdown

I really really need to make this work. I have machines running the same setup in different areas and don't want to have to copy each one over manually.

Have you tried using a "custom path"? Not sure what the permissions are on that script - guessing this is OpenElec. Also, the backup addon does restore the guisettings file in the userdata folder as guisettings.xml.restored - so you don't have to stash one away manually. Just do the restore, then reboot and your script can copy the "restored" to guisettings.xml before Kodi starts.

(2015-07-20, 14:24)Lusa Wrote: Hi Rob,

First of all what a great addon!
I've been new with Kodi en Raspberry PI 2 but using this addons now for a couple of weeks.
I use the backup and restore option through my nas network and it works perfectly.
But I have a question and sorry if this has been asked before, but maybe i use the wrong search strings?

Now I wondered i have prepare Kodi (helix) with addons and skin on my PC (Windows) and that works well.
Is it possible to backup this and put it back with a restore on my PI 2 where Openelec is installed?
For the GUISETTINGS.xml restore option i will use the tip in the TS to stop the stop xbmc.service.
Or is it not recommended to restore to a different (OS) device?

There shouldn't be any major reason you can't go between operating systems with your archives. All the addons and files are cross-platform. The only exception would be any binary addons you may have installed yourself in the addons folder, but there aren't many of these floating around.
(2015-07-21, 16:50)robweber Wrote:
(2015-07-16, 21:29)mattmartinolc Wrote: Is there a way to make this addon backup and restore autostart.sh as part of the same process that backs up and restores the other files? The reason I ask is because I want it to restore guisettings.xml by placing my autostart.sh script in the directory with the following code:

I can hide a fresh guisettings.xml file in the xbmcbackup folder that would be copied into the userdata folder on startup, thus getting around that file being overwritten during shutdown

I really really need to make this work. I have machines running the same setup in different areas and don't want to have to copy each one over manually.

Have you tried using a "custom path"? Not sure what the permissions are on that script - guessing this is OpenElec. Also, the backup addon does restore the guisettings file in the userdata folder as guisettings.xml.restored - so you don't have to stash one away manually. Just do the restore, then reboot and your script can copy the "restored" to guisettings.xml before Kodi starts.

There shouldn't be any major reason you can't go between operating systems with your archives. All the addons and files are cross-platform. The only exception would be any binary addons you may have installed yourself in the addons folder, but there aren't many of these floating around.

Never thought of the custom path. That means I can use that to point at the autostart.sh script specifically?
Doing all this on RPi2 running openelec 5.0.8.

So I place autostart.sh into the .config directory and have it set to overwrite the guisettings.xml.restored file over guisettings.xml. It seems to work as my menu now appears the way I want it. Now when I set custom directory 1 to /storage/.config/ it backs up to a folder called "custom_2f4fb54c" - when I run the restore, it tells me that there is no temporary directory for custom_2f4fb54c but restores the rest of the files. But unfortunately my autostart.sh file is not in the /storage/.config/ folder
This can solve the issues for anyone wanting to be able to restore guisettings.xml. as Rob suggested I have the autostart.sh script located in /storage/.config with the following code:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
(cp /storage/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml.restored /storage/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml;
sleep 10;
)&

This code works. now we just need to get xbmcbackup to properly back up and restore the autostart.sh file to /storage/.config/ so it can be there to run on startup.

I tried Rob's suggestion of using the custom path option in the config. I set the custom directory #1 to /storage/.config/

The backup proceeded, and the custom folder backup shows up as custom_2f4fb54c but the files inside are 0bytes in size. So I overwrote those with the good files from the system. upon restore, I get an error about a path not found in /temp/custom_2f4fb54c and nothing is written to the /.config directory and therefore no autostart.sh file is written.
I have openelec so I'll attempt this myself and let you know what happens on my system. I thought the issue of file in the custom directories was all sorted out.
(2015-07-22, 16:06)robweber Wrote: I have openelec so I'll attempt this myself and let you know what happens on my system. I thought the issue of file in the custom directories was all sorted out.

Awesome. This can solve a lot of issues with people not being able to update their guisettings.xml files. I would gladly post a tutorial on how to do it after it's all working.

In the meantime, since you said you had fixed that glitch involving the custom paths, I realized that I have version 1.0.5 and on the git it says you are at 1.0.6. So I will overwrite the addon files with the newest ones, try again and report back.
(2015-07-21, 16:50)robweber Wrote:
(2015-07-20, 14:24)Lusa Wrote: Hi Rob,

First of all what a great addon!
I've been new with Kodi en Raspberry PI 2 but using this addons now for a couple of weeks.
I use the backup and restore option through my nas network and it works perfectly.
But I have a question and sorry if this has been asked before, but maybe i use the wrong search strings?

Now I wondered i have prepare Kodi (helix) with addons and skin on my PC (Windows) and that works well.
Is it possible to backup this and put it back with a restore on my PI 2 where Openelec is installed?
For the GUISETTINGS.xml restore option i will use the tip in the TS to stop the stop xbmc.service.
Or is it not recommended to restore to a different (OS) device?

Rob thanks for your explanation.
Backup and restore from a PC to the PI 2 was completed without problems.
The plugin was not updating for whatever reason so I just overwrote the files in script.xbmcbackup with the fresh ones I download from the git. Then I did a fresh backup including the custom path and all worked as it should. Thanks for your help Rob.
That may be my fault - looks like 1.0.6 never got pushed to the repo .... sorry. I'll correct this (probably the last Helix release).
Hello, i am a noobie at kodi (started using it yesterday). I am trying to restore a backup but it always fails. Could you please help me? here is the script (i think this is what is important)
11:27:19 T:7712 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.5: Starting
11:27:32 T:7292 NOTICE: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false
11:27:32 T:7292 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
11:27:33 T:6516 ERROR: CCurlFile::Stat - Failed: Timeout was reached(28) for http://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/isengard/s...h/icon.png
11:27:34 T:7292 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.5: Starting
11:27:35 T:7292 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.5: Local Dir: C:/Users/nikos/AppData/Roaming/Kodi/
11:27:35 T:7292 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.5: Remote Dir: D:/15/201507251043/
11:27:35 T:7292 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.5: Mode - Restore
11:27:35 T:7292 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::Create - Error creating C:\
11:27:35 T:7292 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.5: Creating Files List
11:27:35 T:7292 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.5: Writing files to: C:/Users/nikos/AppData/Roaming/Kodi/
11:27:35 T:7292 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.5: Source: D:/15/201507251043/
11:27:35 T:7292 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::Create - Error creating C:\
11:27:43 T:7292 ERROR: Previous line repeats 5002 times.
11:27:43 T:7292 ERROR: XFILE::CFile:Big Grinelete - Error deleting file C:\Users\nikos\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Database\Addons19.db
11:27:43 T:7292 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::Create - Error creating C:\
11:27:43 T:7292 ERROR: Previous line repeats 7 times.
11:27:43 T:7292 ERROR: XFILE::CFile:Big Grinelete - Error deleting file C:\Users\nikos\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Database\Textures13.db
11:27:43 T:7292 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::Create - Error creating C:\
11:27:46 T:7292 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1804 times.
11:27:46 T:7292 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting C:\Users\nikos\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\media\Fonts\
11:27:46 T:7292 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/media/Fonts/
11:27:46 T:7292 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting C:\Users\nikos\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\media\Fonts\
11:27:46 T:7292 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/media/Fonts/
11:27:46 T:7292 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.5: updating: locale.charset, value: CP1253
11:27:46 T:7292 NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.5: updating: locale.country, value: Ελλάδα
11:27:46 T:7292 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError'>
Error Contents: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 108-113: ordinal not in range(128)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\nikos\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\default.py", line 73, in <module>
backup.run(mode)
File "C:\Users\nikos\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\backup.py", line 436, in run
gui_settings.run()
File "C:\Users\nikos\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\guisettings.py", line 47, in run
xbmc.executeJSONRPC('{"jsonrpc":"2.0", "id":1, "method":"Settings.SetSettingValue","params":{"setting":"' + aSetting.json_name() + '","value":"' + aSetting.value + '"}}')
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 108-113: ordinal not in range(128)
-->End of Python script error report<--
hello there forum, my question is pertaining to dropbox. i have multiple firetv sticks with kodi installed in my home and a few of my friends have them as well. so my question is while using dropbox as my backup can i use the same authorization token on each device ie njust copy one to the other or does each device have to use its own token
so ive read how people are having problems with skins not restoring, ive gone through some weird stuff with this as well. like i said i have kodi 14.1 installed on fire sticks and was having this issue as well i discovered on the firetv when the restore box disappears to unplug the power cord from firetv when you power back on skin is restored so maybe in windows if you close kodi the same results will happen....now as regarding dropx wwhen you restore it ive found if you change skin to one that is not "yours" and then restore once the restore is done you get the prompt box asking if you wanna keep skin
Rob, I tried to restore but no file was showing up. I have this on my dropbox. Drop Box Menu - Folder - 201507261727 inside that folder there is the addons and userdata folder along with the xbmcbackup.val

am i suppose to do something else? thanks

i was able to backup to my dropbox with compress file from my kodi via PC
Hey rob,

I normally back up Kodi to my network drive, so I was surprised to see a very large .tar file in the XBMC>Backup folder.

I assume this is a rogue backup I have misplaced, so can I delete it?

It's the only file in the folder. Thanks.
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
  • 72(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)10