• 97(current)
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)
I have this strange behaviour from Krypton version, after restoring the backup im not able to use the addons immediately, i have to go and enable all the addons and repositories one by one MANUALLY , this was not the case during Jarvis 16.1
Anyone have any solution to this as its taking more than 30 minutes for complete restore and enabling all addons and repositories ?
You can download the zip file from the master branch. This has everything merged in now. It's version 1.1.0. Just click the "clone or download" link.
(2017-02-14, 22:59)ssarava9 Wrote: I have this strange behaviour from Krypton version, after restoring the backup im not able to use the addons immediately, i have to go and enable all the addons and repositories one by one MANUALLY , this was not the case during Jarvis 16.1
Anyone have any solution to this as its taking more than 30 minutes for complete restore and enabling all addons and repositories ?

Read the thread. You'll find enabling ADDONS is not currently supported.
(2017-02-06, 15:35)sim099 Wrote:
(2017-01-25, 21:38)robweber Wrote:
(2017-01-24, 22:14)gillmacca Wrote: Working on amazon fire tv, but still getting the message 'not all files were copied'
Usually this means the files were in use somehow - might be related to a specific addon. Debug log would help.

I'm having the same issue, but it seems to go away when I uncheck the "Config Files" option.

Posted a debug log here: http://pastebin.com/QWcKvCpC

From the log, it looks like the script is attempting to create the root of my hard drive; "E:\"... Huh

(2017-02-15, 03:00)ed_davidson Wrote:
(2017-02-14, 22:59)ssarava9 Wrote: I have this strange behaviour from Krypton version, after restoring the backup im not able to use the addons immediately, i have to go and enable all the addons and repositories one by one MANUALLY , this was not the case during Jarvis 16.1

Read the thread. You'll find enabling ADDONS is not currently supported.

I have a Windows box with Krypton setup and am playing around with ways to auto enable the addons from the backup. I have some fixes and tests but nothing concrete yet.
That's by design.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I have a pretty good version of this working now. It checks for enabled addons on backup and then tries to restore them in order of their dependencies on restore. Watch for something to hit github tomorrow - I'll post back here.
(2017-02-17, 00:01)robweber Wrote: I have a pretty good version of this working now. It checks for enabled addons on backup and then tries to restore them in order of their dependencies on restore. Watch for something to hit github tomorrow - I'll post back here.

Since starting work on this I've been contacted by a few members of Team Kodi asking that I not move forward with providing "automatic addon enable" functionality as part of this addon. According to them the manual enabling of addons isn't a bug, but a calculated feature implemented on purpose. To quote one of the messages I received:

Quote:"It's designed to try and stop (or at least slow down and hinder) piracy build makers, some of whom up until now have basically just installed Kodi and then dumped their junk into the add-ons folder to set up their builds."

Now I know there is probably a lot of strong feeling one way or the other regarding the intent and the consequences on end-users regarding such a policy. Depending on if I'm wearing my "syadmin" or my "user" hat I can see a lot of strong points each way. As with most things it's a balancing act between giving the end-users tools they need while still maintaining some aspects of security (or in this case not overtly allowing piracy).

Apparently there are some other addon authors in the same boat that were reached out to in a similar fashion. In the end this addon is maintained by me and it's my choice if I'm going to include it or not. The implicit downside with adding the automatic addon enabling code is that this addon will more than likely be pulled from the official Kodi repository. I wasn't threatened in that manner but Team Kodi can ultimately decide what addons they want to include; and anything deamed as enabling piracy will most likely be tossed out. With many online sources basically saying Kodi is a piracy tool these days I can see why they'd want to take a strong stance on this matter.

With all that being said I won't be pushing any updates to address this particular change with the Krypton release. I realize this may invconvience some users, especially those using the Backup addon more as a file syncing tool than a true backup/restore option. Sorry to anyone that was waiting on this.

For anyone interested in some reading here are some relevant PRs where this was discussed a bit. I'm sure there are others as this seems to have gone through multiple iterations. Just wanted to clarify that wasn't done under the table, there was a indeed a lot of discussion on this point:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9493
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9110
This is strange as official Kodi Addon repository has video addons that contains pirated contents, i understand those will not be enabled by default but still couldnt see the justification to limit the piracy, its just my view
(2017-02-17, 17:03)robweber Wrote:
(2017-02-17, 00:01)robweber Wrote: I have a pretty good version of this working now. It checks for enabled addons on backup and then tries to restore them in order of their dependencies on restore. Watch for something to hit github tomorrow - I'll post back here.

Since starting work on this I've been contacted by a few members of Team Kodi asking that I not move forward with providing "automatic addon enable" functionality as part of this addon. According to them the manual enabling of addons isn't a bug, but a calculated feature implemented on purpose. To quote one of the messages I received:

Quote:"It's designed to try and stop (or at least slow down and hinder) piracy build makers, some of whom up until now have basically just installed Kodi and then dumped their junk into the add-ons folder to set up their builds."

Now I know there is probably a lot of strong feeling one way or the other regarding the intent and the consequences on end-users regarding such a policy. Depending on if I'm wearing my "syadmin" or my "user" hat I can see a lot of strong points each way. As with most things it's a balancing act between giving the end-users tools they need while still maintaining some aspects of security (or in this case not overtly allowing piracy).

Apparently there are some other addon authors in the same boat that were reached out to in a similar fashion. In the end this addon is maintained by me and it's my choice if I'm going to include it or not. The implicit downside with adding the automatic addon enabling code is that this addon will more than likely be pulled from the official Kodi repository. I wasn't threatened in that manner but Team Kodi can ultimately decide what addons they want to include; and anything deamed as enabling piracy will most likely be tossed out. With many online sources basically saying Kodi is a piracy tool these days I can see why they'd want to take a strong stance on this matter.

With all that being said I won't be pushing any updates to address this particular change with the Krypton release. I realize this may invconvience some users, especially those using the Backup addon more as a file syncing tool than a true backup/restore option. Sorry to anyone that was waiting on this.

For anyone interested in some reading here are some relevant PRs where this was discussed a bit. I'm sure there are others as this seems to have gone through multiple iterations. Just wanted to clarify that wasn't done under the table, there was a indeed a lot of discussion on this point:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9493
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9110
WTH?!? What backup/restore as to do with piracy add-ons?!? I see no relation. It should be an option to have enable add-ons after restore. The user has to have that power!!! That has nothing to do with piracy!!

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Living Room: TV LG OLED55C9PLA, Onkyo TX-NR808, Xbox One S, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), PS3, Wii, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1, Sub BK Gemini, Logitech 650 Remote
It would provide a route to clone piracy builds and easily fill boxes with pre loaded crap.

I would have thought that to be obvious. There's nothing to stop users re-enabling restored addons manually. Yes it may take a few moments to do but how often do people actually need to restore backups?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-02-19, 10:12)DarrenHill Wrote: It would provide a route to clone piracy builds and easily fill boxes with pre loaded crap.

I would have thought that to be obvious. There's nothing to stop users re-enabling restored addons manually. Yes it may take a few moments to do but how often do people actually need to restore backups?
If you're cloning a build / box why would you need to enable addons?
(2017-02-17, 22:22)ssarava9 Wrote: This is strange as official Kodi Addon repository has video addons that contains pirated contents, i understand those will not be enabled by default but still couldnt see the justification to limit the piracy, its just my view

What add-ons are you referring to? Add-ons in the official repository are carefully vetted so I would be very surprised if this is the case.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2017-02-14, 23:31)robweber Wrote: You can download the zip file from the master branch. This has everything merged in now. It's version 1.1.0. Just click the "clone or download" link.

Hi everyone, I hate to sound ignorant but how is this done? Thank you,

Ron

P.S. I guess I'm making progress since I finally found and downloaded the .zip file referenced above!
Hi everyone, I hate to keep sounding ignorant but I cannot authorize Dropbox or Google Drive in Kodi Backup on my Amazon Fire TV Stick. I really thought I was making progress since I finally found, downloaded, and installed the latest version 1.1.0 .zip file! Now, I'm unable to use the URL/validation code (at the OK dialogue box) correctly in my web browser. Every time I try to, Kodi restarts and the dialogue box is gone causing an authorization error. Is this a limitation of my Amazon Fire TV Stick? If so, is there a workaround?

Rob, I like the way you changed the addon so that the cloud authorization occurs in the setup now. I just wished that I could get it to work for me!

Thank you,

Ron
Are you trying to use some kind of browser built in to the fire TV? Best use case is to type the URL in to a second phone/tablet/computer.

Sent from my SM-G930V
  • 97(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)10