How to switch from XBMC to Ubuntu in XBMCbuntu
You need to choose a different session in the pulldown menu.
Hi guys

Just jumping on to the back of this one.... I've just installed XBMCBuntu and needed to go into Ubuntu to access Gparted. When I exited XBMC and select Ubuntu from the login screen and logged in I just got a blue background and cursor but no icons, desktop, etc, and there was no way to get out of it or do anything. When I rebooted it put me straight back into the same session and not back into XBMC. I also tried doing the same on an XBMCBuntu live drive and that did exactly the same.
Any ideas what happened there? And how I get out of it?

I'm on a Revo R3700, if that's any use.

Thanks
I'm having the same issue as Finchy, is there any way to solve this?

Additionally, I'm looking to change the power settings on my labtop, as this doesn't seem to be a standard Ubuntu distro I can't find the power management controls anywhere.
I couldn't find a way to get back into anything. I had to reinstalled XBMCBuntu. I've not tried logging back into Ubuntu on it as I can't be arsed to reinstalled another time to fix it if it doesn't work! I used Ubuntu live to make the changes I needed to the partitions, easier that way!
Later today I'm going to see if I can't maybe track where this comes from. I think it's possible that it's unintended to have anything more than XBMCBuntu and XBMC as an option on the boot menu. It's likely it's not a fully configured desktop interface. I'm not entirely familar with Linux so I'll have to look and see how they set those options up.
(2013-06-06, 17:51)Finchy Wrote: Hi guys

Just jumping on to the back of this one.... I've just installed XBMCBuntu and needed to go into Ubuntu to access Gparted. When I exited XBMC and select Ubuntu from the login screen and logged in I just got a blue background and cursor but no icons, desktop, etc, and there was no way to get out of it or do anything. When I rebooted it put me straight back into the same session and not back into XBMC. I also tried doing the same on an XBMCBuntu live drive and that did exactly the same.

Thanks

I am having this same issue. This is killing me because I was just about to have a marathon movie watching session on Fathers Day and wanted to stream something through the desktop, but now the whole system is stuck in this blue screen and I cant get out, and just dont have the energy today to completely re install everything.
you have an overscan issue and the icons is down beyond what you can see.
You can probably bring up up the start menu down at the left if you try real hard,

This thread should be improved, not good enough to be a sticky. What is the best way to sort this problem? randr?
If it was simply an overscan issue right clicking should bring up the contextual menu. When I attempt to bring up the terminal using the keyboard shortcut nothing would come up, instead of the error that is supposed to appear. Besides that, I use two monitors, so I should have seen something on one of them. However, I will be sure to make sure that it isn't something as simple as an over scan issue. I would be surprised though, since this same configuration worked fine in the XBMCBuntu session, the "Ubuntu" session is that which seems to have a problem.
(2013-06-16, 21:20)constrictor Wrote: I am having this same issue. This is killing me because I was just about to have a marathon movie watching session on Fathers Day and wanted to stream something through the desktop, but now the whole system is stuck in this blue screen and I cant get out, and just dont have the energy today to completely re install everything.

I was able to get out of this "blue desktop" mode by plugging a real keyboard into my HTPC (I normally use a media remote) and pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL and a box appeared asking if I wanted to logout. I was able to TAB over to the OK button and it took me to a login window, where I was able to select XBMC and then log back into the normal XBMC mode.
I actually discovered that trick yesterday, I'm shocked I didn't try it. Unfortunately this trick doesn't work if you log into the "Openbox" or "Openbox/Gnome" sessions. Although one of them auto-logs you out as soon as you login due to some error. I'll attempt to document it later, currently I'm away from home, but when I get back I'm going to be working on my backend server.
(2013-06-17, 18:04)Lord_Twilight Wrote: I actually discovered that trick yesterday, I'm shocked I didn't try it. Unfortunately this trick doesn't work if you log into the "Openbox" or "Openbox/Gnome" sessions. Although one of them auto-logs you out as soon as you login due to some error. I'll attempt to document it later, currently I'm away from home, but when I get back I'm going to be working on my backend server.

I actually got stuck in that Openbox screen once before on a previous screen and had trouble getting out of it. Im pretty sure I had to hit F12 or one of the function keys to close XTerm or something. My memory is fuzzy, but that rings a bell.
(2013-06-06, 17:51)Finchy Wrote: Hi guys

Thanks

I have the same issue with my Asrock ION. I have'nt had this problem before it recurred after upgrading to 12.2, and I really need that damn desktop.

EDIT: I just realised that you need to log into "XBMCbuntu" and not "ubuntu" in order to get to the desktop.
I had a similar problem myself when messing around with different desktops and I couldn't find the GUI way to log out.

A quick emergency google found me this

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15795/how...e-terminal

so ssh into your computer from another pc and type

"gnome-session-save --force-logout"

remember google is your friend but sometimes it helps to know what to look for! Big Grin
I figured out how to at least get some functionality out of my XBMCbuntu system after I installed it this morning. I have been using the SSH command shell
to manually edit .conf files using a nano editor. That sucked.

I fooled around with the XBMC menus and tried various things and this worked for me.

I'm running version XBMCbuntu 12.2

Exit out of XBMC (System -> Exit)
Select XBMCbuntu from the bottom pulldown menu and login with your username that you installed with (default is xbmc:blank)
right-click anywhere on the screen
go to Desktop Preferences
click the Advanced tab
click the checkbox that says "Show menus provided by window managers when desktop is clicked"
Click Close

Right-click again anywhere on screen ...the menu will look completely different now...
go to Applications
then PCManFM

It will open a file browser so you can move files around but if you expand the menu in the left browser windowpane (mine was squished) you will see
"Applications" under "Desktop" and "Trash".

The Applications menu allows you to change and modify many settings from network to video and sound preferences.

I also had to change the "View" to "Detailed List View" because the menus looked wonky.

I was also able to move files and folders and rename movies using the file browser.
Okay so I just fought this thing for twenty minutes trying to reboot back into XBMC out of Gnome (the GUI you get stuck in when you login to XBMCbutu).

The only way out was to go back to the Applications menu in my post above and go XTerm (terminal) and kill all the processes and kick you back out to the login screen.

Type in "kill -9 -1" into the command line without the quotes and it should bounce you back out to the login screen. You have to log in and select XBMC from the pull down menu to get it back up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to switch from XBMC to Ubuntu in XBMCbuntu1