Linux Moving from Windows Based XBMC to Linux
How do!

Ive built a test XBMC machine on my netbook and really want to migrate my HTPC over to Ubuntu but just wanted some advice on the best way to do it.

Currently my HTPC has 2 x 1tb drives, the first being split into 2 partitions (C: and DSmile and the 2nd drive is just 1 partition E:.

C:\ holds the windows install, D and E hold my movies/mp3s etc

Is there an easy way to install Ubuntu just using C: so I dont need to migrate all my data off, and once installed will Ubuntu be able to read the other partitions etc?

Bottom line I dont want to loose any data,is this possible?

Thanks
Yep this is possible. The installer will ask which partition you want to install to. I personally would delete the partition before installing and then choose to let Ubuntu install its self to the largest available free space as it will take care of setting up a swap partition.
ok cool, once Ubuntu is up and running, do I need to do anything with the paritions for windows D and E drives? Or will Ubuntu just be able to deal with them?
You may need to install the ntfs-3g package to be able to read the ntfs partitions. You can mount the drives manually through the Ubuntu file manager or you can add entries to the fstab file to have them auto mounted on boot.
ntfs-3g is afaik for write support, it has ntfs read support out of the box
ntfs works fine out of the box. Do not install anything, mount the disks. Makes sense?
I'd also try to eventually convert all your partitions to EXT4.

Ntfs3g works, but it'll sometimes be a real resource hog.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving from Windows Based XBMC to Linux0