Win First HTPC Build Recomendations
Ok, I'm looking to build my first dedicated HTPC as I have just been using my desktop for the last year or so.
Right now I already have a NAS setup using an HP Datavault and I had purchased the GT430 GPU for my DT to support full HD which I can swap into this HTPC but from the sounds of the A6-3500 it's not needed. I classify myself as a #7 per eskro's guide. I plan to use this mainly as an HTPC but sometimes for video/photo editing but not gaming at all. I do want full 1080p HD and the option for 3d in the future just in case (which the 430 should already support if needed). Also I would like the ability to power on via remote.
Right now this is what I'm thinking of, but I am on a budget so if it's more than needed please let me know:

[CPU+iGPU] AMD A6-3500 3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz HD6530D FM1 65W ($80)
[MOBO] ASRock A75M FM1 CIR USB3.0 SATAIII UEFI μATX ($75)
[PSU] SeaSonic SS-400ET 80+ Bronze 400W ATX12V ($45)
[RAM] Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model KHX1866C9D3K2/4GX ($40)
[HDD] Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ($85)
[CASE] SILVERSTONE ML03B μATX ($60)
+
[REMOTE] ASRock Universal Smart Remote Control (SMART REMOTE) ($26)
OR
[CASE W/Remote] Antec Fusion Remote HTPC Enclosure - FUSION REMOTE WHITE ($157)

Anyone able to tell me how the functionality of these 2 options compare?

Total: $411 or $482 + shipping

Does this looks solid? Am I missing anything? Will this Remote power on and control my HTPC? Does anyone know of cheaper prices on these components as a few seem to have gone up in prices?

What would the difference be for this MB vs the one above besides $10 cheaper, or is it the same one? Specs looks very similar but not seeing the model # on amazon to compare... ASRock A75M-HVS FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Thanks!!
JB
i say forget about the Antec Fusion Remote HTPC Enclosure...
yeah u can Power ON from S5 like u want but,
the LCD screen is Junk, un useful, a pain to set up,
mapping the buttons on your remote using imon software is
the worst thing earth came across to.

i say keep your 1st choice there, with ML03B case.
but as far as the ASROCK remote, so far, comments aren't A1...
range is pretty bad..
However, just the Receiver itself appears to be good for Power ON from S5.
so, just the get the CIR receiver without the remote.
contact ASROCK AMERICA directly for that, ==> [email protected]
they'll ask your around $10 for it.
and dont worry about range, for the Power ON feature, it works from ~7feet at least.

so you still need a MCE remote package...
Beer40 uses a good one easy to setup!

or u can check my HTPC guide, second post of it,
neat the bottom, i list many remote combos to make it easy for you to select
the one you like and that fits your wallet!!

Smile
Ok, I will do a little more reading on the remotes but if I get the CIR receiver do I still need the IR receiver on the remote packages in your post? Is the CIR to boot from a complete power off then the IR with one of your posted remote packages for actual control of the HTPC once it's booted? I'm not familiar with this setup at all...
Also can you tell any difference in those MB's I posted? I believe the one I posted at the bottom from NewEgg would work and possibly is the same as the one you linked on amazon but $10 cheaper...
im not sure which part wasn't clear Tongue

what u can do is,
just the get the USB CIR receiver without the remote.
and dont worry about range, for the Power ON feature, it works from ~7feet at least.

after that,
you still need to buy a IR Remote and USB IR RECEIVER.
Beer40oz uses a nice one easy to setup!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...=GP-IR02BK
I guess the part I was confused about and looking for clarification on would be that I would have 2 receivers; the USB CIR receiver and the one that I get to go with the remote and only 1 remote. And as far as how it works, the remote will send signal to the USB CIR receiver to power on from S5 then once on the USB IR receiver would then provide the control?
yepp, u got it

oh let me precise, i haven't tried this way i describe personnaly,

i only assume it would work.

however, if u want a true bullet proof way for Power ON from S5,

there's SImerec CPS-1 device
or
INTESET CIR RECEIVER (which needs to be re-pinned to fit on ASROCK CIR headers)
(2012-04-24, 04:03)eskro Wrote: im not sure which part wasn't clear Tongue

what u can do is,
just the get the USB CIR receiver without the remote.

after that,
you still need to buy a IR Remote and USB IR RECEIVER.
Beer40oz uses a nice one easy to setup!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...=GP-IR02BK

I got me just the iPazzport and that remote on newegg..

Never really intended to turn on my HTPC from my couch.....

Now I just use my iPassport to turn it on incase I am lazy to get up.....
I would suggest ditching the A6 and go for an Intel G850 or i3 if you can get a good deal.Both intels have integrated GPUs and these will be really good for video editing. I just ordered the A4 APU but its strictly HTPC. Intels CPUs are really good for editing and things of that nature. Also Tigerdirect had (I beleive they still do) 4Gb DDR3 for $17.99 once you applied the $20 MIR. Also on Superbiiz (where I purchased my A4) if you use the coupon code HOMERUN it gives a discount. Newegg also has a %15 off on OCZ SSDs.
+1 for not getting the Antec Remote Fusion 350. It has to be the biggest PITA case I've ever worked with. Why they ever designed it so you have to remove the LCD (which immediately breaks off in your hands) to put in the HDD I have no idea. I've also never seen so many wires inside a computer case. NIGHTMARE.
Thanks! I Will be sticking with the Silverstone ML03B and going with a separate remote.
jabrake88, your making the right choices! Tongue
Thanks eskro!
no problem jabrake88, better to get right stuff now then be sorry later on Tongue
hows your build going? i'm looking to build the same thing (total noob) wondering if you figured out the remote situation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC Build Recomendations0