XBMC Eden video/audio stutter on Mac OSX 10.6.8
I've been getting frequent video/audio stutter in XBMC Eden watching MKV episodes of Seinfeld (MediaInfo below).

The video/audio will stutter simultaneously for about a second or two and then resume. None of these episodes have actually crashed XBMC.

The episodes stutter with or without hardware acceleration enabled. The stutter doesn't occur in Plex 0.9.3.4 or 0.9.5.2.

In the XBMC log below, the stutter occurred somewhere around 16:43. I then did a rewind and played over the same scene without incident, and then shut down XBMC.

* OSX 10.6.8
* Mac Mini 2010 (2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400)
* SVN Revision: XBMC 11.0 Git:20120321-14feb09 (Compiled: Mar 22 2012)
* XBMC skin: Aeon MQ3 2.0.1

XBMC.log: http://pastebin.com/BDHFwPq7
MediaInfo on sample episode: http://pastebin.com/rFmU9sWj

I can put a video sample in my dropbox on request.
Is there more info I can provide to help troubleshoot this? It's killing my XBMC experience and I'd like to get it solved ...
xbmc on your box should eat that without problems. I would suspect a configuration or post-processing issue.
Configuration settings meaning XBMC settings?

All that's running on the Mac Mini is XBMC. Nothing else. My hard drives plug straight into the Mini, and the Mini goes straight into the TV via HDMI (through a Monoprice mini DVI-to-HDMI adapter).

My setup is about as simple as they come.
16:32:27 T:2967646208 ERROR: CCoreAudioRenderer::InitializePCM: The selected device (Built-in Output) does not have a speaker layout configured. Using the default layout.
16:32:27 T:2967646208 ERROR: CCoreAudioRenderer::InitializePCM: Please go to Applications -> Utilities -> Audio MIDI Setup, and select 'Configure Speakers...'

try what it says in the log.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
EDIT: I take it back; I just did some tests and both my speakers are fine.

Thanks Memphiz.

I ran the Audio MIDI Setup, and it looks like my right speaker is dead -- but could that be causing an audio/video stutter?

It's just a pair of plain old 2.0 speakers that plug into the headphone port on my 2010 Mac Mini. This has been my media center setup in Plex for the past two years and it's never been an issue.

Here's a screenshot of how my audio is configured in Eden.
No you should just ensure that you've configured the speakers right in osx. The picasa link is broken.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Hey Memphiz.

At the risk of being totally dense here, I just don't see what there is to configure. My Creative T20 2.0 speakers go straight into the headphone jack on the back of my Mac Mini and ... that's it.

In Preferences -> Sound and Audio Midi Setup, the speakers are recognized as headphones (it's always been that way) and the only thing to configure is balance and volume.

Hit the "configure speakers" button ... i don't know this error message in the log was implemented by another dev - but iirc he allways told the people that they should do it when this appears in the log. Basically i just copy his opinion here Wink
OK, well the only way I could configure the speakers was to flip them around and make the left channel right and the right channel left. So I did that.

I'll post back if it solves the problem. Thanks again for your help.

Well, I made it through one episode with no stuttering and I was starting to feel optimistic, but then it returned with a vengeance.

Here's the XBMC.log. The stutter occurred around 20:12.
Looks like you got network problems around 20:12. But your log wasn't done with debugging turned on, so the interesting messages might be hidden.
OK. I'll turn on debugging and give it another shot tonight.

Quick question though: How would network problems cause audio/video stutter if I'm not streaming? My hard drive is plugged straight into the Mac Mini, and the Mac Mini goes into the TV.

Thanks Memphiz.
Mhh it wouldn't influence the local hd of course. The log messages just told the same thing they tell when network bandwith cuts out.
Here's a fresh XBMC.log with debugging on. Stutter occurred around 19:52.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Eden video/audio stutter on Mac OSX 10.6.80