Linux Wake On Lan WOL server on XBMC startup
Hello there.
I need some help. Somehow the Wake-on-lan thing does not work right with me.
I use xbmcbuntu and want to wakeup my server before startup of XBMC because it includes my mysql database and all my files.
I followed these instructions: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...n_(Ubuntu)
And in fact when I use the wake-on-lan command, the mashine is woken up. But it soesn´t start automatically on boot.
Can someone tell me what I need to do?
Thanx
Make sure that you follow the init.d script. THat will make sure the network card stays on, ready for the magic packet once the machine is shut down. You need to make sure the BIOS settings are correct as well.

Maybe I'm not understanding your problem right. Are you talking about 1 or two machines?
I talk about two mashines.
My server is ready to be woken up by a magic packet. That´s not the problem. I want my HTPC to wake up the server as it boots up:
Turn on my HTPC ---> Magic packet --> Server boots up
So I need a script for that. Any clue how to do that?
Thanx
Somebody there who can help me?
You can try the following:
  1. Get to the XBMCbuntu desktop and launch a terminal session
  2. If not already installed on your system, install the wakeonlan package: sudo apt-get install wakeonlan
  3. Create a script file to be executed at startup: sudo nano /etc/xbmc/live.d/littlesusie.sh (pick your own filename)
  4. Enter the following text into the file:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Script to wakeup file server so XBMC will have access to those files
    # Replace xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx with the MAC address of your file server
    /usr/bin/wakeonlan xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    # Allow time (expressed in seconds) for file server to complete startup
    # before launching XBMC. Use an appropriate setting for your server.
    sleep 60
    exit
  5. Press Ctrl-O
  6. Press ENTER
  7. Press Ctrl-X
  8. Make the file executable: sudo chmod 755 /etc/xbmc/live.d/littlesusie.sh
I don't have an XBMCbuntu installation to confirm that the script will get executed at startup, but in theory, it should work. Also, keep in mind that the sleep statement in the script will give the appearance that your system is hung... so, if others will be booting up the system, tell them the delay is normal and to just be patient.
Hey thank you.
This is what i needed. I guess my attempts so far were wrong because i didnt know which the right folder was to put this script into. Will try it and let you know if it works.
Sorry for my bad English, I'm Italian. I want to know if the method artrafael work?
Thank you all for the great job!
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

(2013-03-20, 15:57)teo84 Wrote: Sorry for my bad English, I'm Italian. I want to know if the method artrafael work?
Thank you all for the great job!

Have you tried it yet? It only works if it works on your system. Smile
hello thanks for the welcome and response.
I just tried it and it does not work ...
Does your script work if you run it manually from a terminal window?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wake On Lan WOL server on XBMC startup0