UPS
Anyone using one for the media server? Well-spent money? Suggested devices?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Yes Cpt Hook is using the APC Back-UPS Pro RS700 on his unraid ..... it works with the unraid software....

It's great! more safety in case of a black out! shuts down your server correctly....
I use a Aiptek Powerwalker 2000 VI (Line Interactive) It has a great support for Linux / Unix (NUT), so you can use many computers get notified when the ups goes down over the LAN (client/server set-up). Works with all linuxes / freeBSD, solaris, Windows...

I use it for my NAS and for the phone system / fax. However, you need to change the accu-packs after 3 years or so... Safety has it's price.

It is capable to overcome a power outage of up to 40 minutes and then shuts down everything smoothly, plenty of time to replace a fuse ;-)....
Steve Very good question! I was thinking of buying the APC Back-UPS ES 550VA. I know people recommend a higher VA but I can afford this now and its on sale at staples.
What is your goal regarding a UPS? for the xbmc media center it is almost useless (at least on windows - because quick recovery from power loss, no long file system checks like in linux).

A Ups makes only sense on storage systems or on systems, that need to run on power loss.

A media center PC is useless when the TV set goes off - or do you want to watch movies on power loss? then you will definitely need a higher capacity, that can supply your plasma, your xbmc client, your router and your nas for at least the time a movie takes (2 hours?)
I just wanted to get it in the case I have power loss and can turn off everything the right way. Also concerns about some external hard drives I have connected to it.
O.K, than a weak UPS will do, it will power down your system safely - but take care on the maximum current it can supply. As long as your system has less power needs - it will be OK. Most UPS's have both USB and serial control interfaces. Some have serial only - and many newer mini ITX boards do not have serial ports, but you still can use a USB2Serial converter cable - if necessary.
(2012-04-25, 21:55)xbmcg Wrote: What is your goal regarding a UPS? for the xbmc media center it is almost useless (at least on windows - because quick recovery from power loss, no long file system checks like in linux).

A Ups makes only sense on storage systems or on systems, that need to run on power loss.

Let me describe a bit more why I am thinking of it - I have a media server with 40TB of media on it. I stream from it to my HTPCs. I don't want to protect the server against longer power outage, but occasionale outages that last a few seconds. In addition, would be nice if it shuts it down properly if there is really ever an outage that would last a few minutes.

I looked a bit online and there are dozens of different models with different specs. What should I be looking for?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
here is some reading about the different types of ups:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterrupt...wer_supply

usually a cheep line interactive would be sufficient, how ever it sounds, you have a big server with many disks.
I would check your power requirements first, the usv must support enough Watt to your server.

I have the PowerWalker Line Interactive 2000VI ( 2000VA or 1200W). it has 2 battery packs 12V / 9Ah, what means 216VAh.

So if you have a device, that consumes approxymately 120W AC (~200VA), it could run about 1 hour if the battery was full charged - until it is discharged completely.
So there is a chance in real world to survive about 45 Minutes (deep discharge protection, battery wearing over time), before the UPS turns off - as a rule of thumb.
Online it uses 10% of the total capacity (120W out of 1200W possible)- so the fan is off and quiet and the device is almost cold.

http://powerwalker.com/line-interactive.asp

If you take the weakest (450VA / 240W, Battery capacity 12V / 4.5Ah), it means 54VAh or approx. 30Wh, and you run 120W, you will end up 15 Minutes best case.
I would think 10 Minutes is more realistic, and you will have a heavy load on it (50% - 120W out of 240W) , so it could get warm and noisy...
(2012-04-25, 21:28)Chuck King Wrote: Steve Very good question! I was thinking of buying the APC Back-UPS ES 550VA. I know people recommend a higher VA but I can afford this now and its on sale at staples.

I use 2 of these at home, one for my server and the other for my HTPC (they are on different rooms). Very solid and easy to configure on the machines for control via USB. But my power needs are low, if you need higher power output then you need a bigger model.
Thanks for your replies. I am still a bit undecided. Would also love to understand how you are using it? Are you indeed expecting power outages of more than 30 minutes and (if so) are you wacthing movies in these circumstances?

I am asking as I try to understand what device to pick. I am more worried about outages of a few seconds, which on its own will have the server being off (basically a tenth of a second without power will turn it off). Also, in case there is really an outage, it would be nice to have the server being shut down after one minutes without electricity.

Even with my excessive electricity consumption (my server has a 1000W P/S), it appears that the very tiniest UPS device would be sufficient for my needs. Is that a correct conclusion?
Well, you can calculate it easily (see the formulas above), if you know your power requirements and your estimated outage times you want to overcome.

To my usage: I use my ups in my home-office for my freeNAS storage server running 24x7 and in parallel for the phone system, router, GBit switches and my laser fax machine - all connected to it, so I do not miss a call / fax from my customers just in case.

I've had some power outages during the last years, most of them for a few minutes - some because of stormy weather and some because of some damaged bulbs that fired the safety fuse one or two times. I also have done some re-wireing in my house and needed to turn off the fuses to prevent accidents while working - during this time the office stuff run on battery for a half hour. So all in all I am happy with my ups. However, after 2-3 years the battery packs are wrecked and need replacements. I just bought some online and replaced them - easy stuff.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPS0