Next HTPC build -- Acer Veriton L series?
Hi, I'm looking to build my next HTPC. Right now we're saving for a house, so it has to be a rather low-cost affair. I'm not after anything fancy, just something we can watch SD videos on (with maybe 1-2 HD videos, but that's rare) and to perhaps play some emulated games (N64, MAME, SNES etc.), and possibly Minecraft on my 42" plasma TV with the possibility of upgrading it later on as money comes in.

I work as an IT helpdesk operator, and software is my forté, but I'm not really sure about hardware, which is why I'm asking for assistance. At the minute I've got my eyes on the Acer Veriton L460 (link) which I can pick up for $185 AUD. It's got DVI and supports 5.1 surround sound (even though we don't own a surround sound system). I can also maybe pick up the Acer Veriton L670 (link, PDF) for $230 or so

The problem I find with hardware, is that clock speed means less to me these days, as two 3ghz processors can vary in speed depending on number of cores etc., and with graphics cards, there are sometimes two versions of the same card (e.g. the L460 has a GMA 3100, while there is also a GMA X3100 which is for mobile computing, and people (and Google search results) often confuse the two), plus benchmark results mean little to me, and maximum resolution may be fine for word documents and stuff, but not for games or XBMC.

So if anyone has suggestions about these machines, or can suggest a similar machine (within Australia) that would be better bang for my buck, I'd be glad to hear it!
Welcome
Those are both aging systems, looks like your trying to keep it under $250. Do you have the ability to build a system? or do you want a assembled system?
Check out something with the AMD Fusion APU .. ether A6 3500 or A8 3850. Both have descent graphics and you can add a dedicated card for X fire later

Check this page out: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199
+1 yes on the A Series.....
(2012-04-25, 06:45)Jetster Wrote: Welcome
Those are both aging systems, looks like your trying to keep it under $250. Do you have the ability to build a system? or do you want a assembled system?
Check out something with the AMD Fusion APU .. ether A6 3500 or A8 3850. Both have descent graphics and you can add a dedicated card for X fire later

Yep, under $250 (AUD) is preferable, as is a pre-built system (partially due to my skills with hardware, but mostly because I'm impatient and want a gadget now Tongue), but if necessary, I'm capable of building a PC, so I might investigate some of those options.

(2012-04-25, 06:45)Jetster Wrote: Check this page out: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199

Thanks for the link. This was one of the first pages I checked out when researching on the forums, but kind of shied away from it, as the prices were in USD and were component based, not a pre-built system. I figured more advanced HTPC goers would know about pre-built machines.

I'll keep hunting around for prices and such, but if anyone has a machine for sale in that price range, or can suggest a pre-built system, I'm all ears Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Next HTPC build -- Acer Veriton L series?0