HTPC doubling as Desktop PC
Hello everyone! This is my first post here on the boards, though I've been browsing on occasion in the past few months. This is also my first time trying to build a computer on my own.

I'm looking to build an HTPC that will also double as a desktop PC. I've been wanting to do this for a while now but I always have trouble getting started, and I'm always concerned that the parts I pick wouldn't work together. Or I'll start looking at parts and I'll tell myself "well, that's only $20 more I may as well upgrade" and I end up blowing my budget out of the water.

Budget: $700

Goals: Stream 1080p videos from a NAS / Play Blu-Ray discs / Used as a daily desktop PC for web browsing and occasional gaming

So in a lot of other threads I see people posting builds, but they don't always include every component. Also, most builds seem to be geared toward the small set top boxes as oppose to a traditional computer case (understandable since this is an HTPC forum). I would really like a full build including RAM and HDD and any other component I need, like a wifi card or a sound card. It also seems like when I do find a good build somewhere, the post will be a year old and those components are outdated or no longer available for purchase.

Can anyone help me out here, or at least point me in the right direction? Maybe I can help you guys by providing more information, I'm sure I'm leaving some info out that could help you all list good items for my potential build.

Thanks for taking a look at my thread, I appreciate it!
Look at my Lian LI.... all it needs its a blu ray player..... it rocks! took me a while to get it right! maybe more ram for games...
Well, any PC you build for $700 will be able to perform all HTPC functions so that's not really a consideration. You should do a build with your other needs in mind (e.g. gaming). At your price point, I'd say build something around the i5 sandy bridge and a separate graphics card. I'm not familiar with the best graphics card buys right now, but it should be an easy thing to research. Then beyond that just research each component and see what you like and what suits your needs.

Remember, the drawback to having a single machine for your desktop and HTPC is that a) it will draw more power, and b) you can't have someone doing something else on your desktop screen while also using XBMC on the TV (only one thing gets focus control). If you can live with this, then go for it.
Yeah, I actually use to use Windows Media Center with some plugin (forget the name) as my primary way of watching videos. With that setup I was only able to either watch stuff on the media center or use the desktop. Not a huge concern for me.

And the other thing is that my current laptop is on its last legs. I really need to get a new computer, so I can't justify buying a stand alone HTPC box and also buying a new computer. I could, but I would have to get cheap versions of each, so I rather just get a decent computer for now that will double as an HTPC.

So I guess maybe a better question would have been "Whats a good PC build for $700 with an emphasis on the home theater aspect?"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC doubling as Desktop PC0