My first HTPC build (Ivy bridge)
I've been looking at HTPCs for a while now, and decided it's time to step up from my laptop. I will mainly be using it as a HTPC, but also as a torrent downloader, browser and photoediter. Because I live in a very small apartment I need my HTPC to do everything a non gaming PC would have to do. Mainly I will be playing 720p and 1080p, but the thought of 3d interests me aswell since I've already bought myself a 3D tv. I guess I would classify myself at #7 on eSkRo's group chart, although streaming is not my first priority at this time.
Since it's my first time building a PC at all I need some advice on my imagenary setup on this Micro ATX:

Case: SILVERSTONE GD05B M-ATX (Because of the depth)
Motherboard: Intel DH77EB (To have the CIR option to turn "hard" on from remote)
CIR module: IR Receiver w/Cable and Custom Mounting Bracket for Intel CIR Motherboards (To use with mye Harmony One, that I already own)

SSD Crucial m4 SSD 2,5" 64GB (After reading a bit about SSD, everyone seems to recommend this)
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR GREEN 2TB SATA/600 64MB (Because it's supposed to use less power than many others)
Ram: KINGSTON DDR3 HYPERX 8GB 1600MHZ CL9 (2X4GB) (This was just a random pick and I thought that the price leap from 4-8gb wasn't to much)
PSU Seasonic S12-II 380 (Silent according to silentpsu.com, and seasonic fanless psu was very pricy)
Bluray player might be added on later

Ending on around 4000NOK or 700$ before choosing CPU.

CPU: Thinking about Ivy Brigde here, i7 3770t or the i5 3570k (Because they are some of the first to release? and the 3770t has a pretty low power consumption)

1. What do you guys think of the overall setup, is it an overkill, or just something that will work for several years to come?
2. Is it possible to cool this with the three internal fans from the case or do I need a CPU cooler aswell?
3. How many watts do you guys think this setup will draw?
4. Is the i7 3370t a complete overkill? Maybe wait a bit longer for the i5/i3 t models?
5. Would this build be "silent", like not hearing to much noise when watching tv with this thing underneath?
5. Am I missing something? (since I'm a newbie)

Hoping someone will have some smart inputs for my setup!

Thanks!
Brann
If you can afford it, overkill PC is a good thing (especially the Intel® Core™ i7-3770T Processor ). You'll have a blast with Intel 3.7GHz 4-core and HD4000 iGPU......extremely low power consumption at 45W TDP.......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I wasn't really thinking about using 1000$ before I started putting it together in my head. I like the low power consumption and hope the three fans in the case will be able to keep it cool. Do you think that they can do it?
(2012-04-26, 16:26)brannrev Wrote: I wasn't really thinking about using 1000$ before I started putting it together in my head. I like the low power consumption and hope the three fans in the case will be able to keep it cool. Do you think that they can do it?
It shouldn't take much to cool a 45W CPU.....and the case you selected should have plenty of room for air flow too.....

Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm just hoping for a not to high price on the 3770t in Norway when they release them
i expect it to be highly priced.
hi,

I have the same case and sandy bridge processor 2500T which is passively cooled, I wanted a low power htpc with added performance to, check my thread for details in the last pages. I only have one aftrmaket fan on the case and one aftermarket one on the gpu. the htpc overall is really quite which is perfect as I wanted to use it as download station Smile

a5ian300zx
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
(2012-04-28, 19:32)a5ian300zx Wrote: hi,

I have the same case and sandy bridge processor 2500T which is passively cooled, I wanted a low power htpc with added performance to, check my thread for details in the last pages. I only have one aftrmaket fan on the case and one aftermarket one on the gpu. the htpc overall is really quite which is perfect as I wanted to use it as download station Smile

a5ian300zx
I think that he is after a low power hi-end all-in-one CPU....the 45W Intel® Core™ i7-3770T should make a powerful hi-end HTPC....

(2012-04-28, 20:30)bluray Wrote:
(2012-04-28, 19:32)a5ian300zx Wrote: hi,

a5ian300zx
I think that he is after a low power hi-end all-in-one CPU....the 45W Intel® Core™ i7-3770T should make a powerful hi-end HTPC....

I was just saying as my CPU is 45w too but with intel hd 2000 but higher gpu clock, my g skill memory is only 1.35w with CAS Latency: 7-8-7-24 tight timing at 1600mhz,

I would change the ssd to crucial m4 sata 6 much better driver with better controller and reliability, look for low voltage ram with tight timings and psu with high power efficiency I have the seasonic fanless pus with gold rating.

But even mine was a bit overkill, the only reason I bought the 7750 AMD because it was low power a has new browser feature to boost the speed and better video enhancement controls.

This is just my 2cent

A5ian300zx

TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
(2012-04-28, 22:29)a5ian300zx Wrote: But even mine was a bit overkill, the only reason I bought the 7750 AMD because it was low power a has new browser feature to boost the speed and better video enhancement controls.
In computer term, overkill is a good thing. I never hear anyone complain that their computer is too fast......Big Grin

Ok, decided to change the PSU and SSD after your help and some reading! Thanks for the inputs guys

PSU Seasonic S12-II 380 (Silent according to silentpsu.com, and seasonic fanless psu was very pricy)
SSD Crucial m4 SSD 2,5" 64GB (After reading a bit about SSD, everyone seems to recommend this)

Still waiting for the Ivy Bridge release...
Quote:SSD Crucial m4 SSD 2,5" 64GB (After reading a bit about SSD, everyone seems to recommend this)
Noooooooo..... Go with 120G+ for the SSD. I know it's a little more money, but at 64G you'll be forever fighting to manage that last 10G of space. Also, the more free space on the SSD, the longer the lifetime. It's definitely worth the investment, more so than the i7 vs the i5.

BTW: Has anyone see an i7-3770t for sale yet? I still can't find one.

mp
(2012-05-03, 02:27)mpatnode Wrote: BTW: Has anyone see an i7-3770t for sale yet? I still can't find one.
It is due this quarter, and it should be out soon....but the i7-3770s is out....

I got tired of waiting for the i7-3770t, so I decided to go for the 17-3770s. After trying it a couple of days I decided to buy a Big Shuriken cpu cooler instead of the stock cooler. I've also got some fan controllers to reduce the fansound and now I'm really pleased with it. I can still hear the sound if the computer is the only thing that's on, but you have to listen for it, to notice it.

Really happy with my choice, although it's highly priced and maybe a bit overkill. But I hope that it will last for years to comeWink
you should check out the build i did... similar but running i5 ivy... its AWESOME! ripping blus (just movie) takes about 20 min and playback is flawless!!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=135211

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first HTPC build (Ivy bridge)0