Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC
Just wondering if anyone uses wifi to watch movies on xbmc, where the movies are hosted on a unRaid server.
Emphasis on WiFi

Pros, Cons,..hardware concerns?
Wi-Fi adapter on the UnRAID server ... or UnRAID attached to Wi-Fi router via ethernet then Wi-Fi adapter on XBMC box?
WiFi everywhere.
Like I said on a recent post: AVOID WIRELESS = RUN CABLES

I don't want to go into many details, but wireless transmission is affected by home phones, microwave ovens (yours or your neighbours' ), and the bandwidth is shared across all endpoints... 'nuff said.

I'm a network engineer by day, so please just believe me...
While everything that jackh said is 100% true, it's also situational. I run gigabit to everything stationary, and dual mode g/n to everything mobile. My wife and I can both watch 1080p Youtube without trouble.

You're going to hate life if you try to run everything wifi, but if you have 1 or 2 places you just can't get a cable to, don't sweat it too much, you'll probably be ok.
My main pc connects to my router via wifi. My NAS drive connects to my router via cable, and my second pc connects via wifi. Both pc's accessing the same NAS drive and both playing movies at same time with XBMC.

I have no issues with play back at all.
(2012-04-27, 04:48)Jooney Wrote: My main pc connects to my router via wifi. My NAS drive connects to my router via cable, and my second pc connects via wifi. Both pc's accessing the same NAS drive and both playing movies at same time with XBMC.

I have no issues with play back at all.

I agree that it's situational, and the interference patterns vary wildly from location to location, but one thing is certain: wireless interference is there.

I propose a little test: watch 1080p video on as many devices as possible over wifi, and then put the microwave oven to work for 1 minute. Check your video while the oven is working, still smooth? Big Grin
I may look into buying a pair of PowerLines and seeing how they work.

(2012-05-01, 15:26)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I may look into buying a pair of PowerLines and seeing how they work.

In my experience, in my apartment, wifi was unreliable past 480p content from my UnRaid server to XBMC. Bought a couple of 200mbps powerline adapters, and I was streaming 1080p without issue (including ff and rew). If you can find a pair of 500mbps units for near the same price as the 200mbps, you should get a bit better performance then the 200mbps.

Here's a good article article.

lol, I'd use two cans and a string before powerline adapters =)

Fun fact: I can connect to two neighbor's networks from work. If you're electrically inclined, they can be pressed into service, but it's definitely an ideal solution. Everything you have plugged into your wall outlets becomes a source of interference. Normal home connections to the grid don't filter the signal either, which is why I can connect to my neighbor's networks.

If you're in an apartment, your only serviceable option is wireless N at 5ghz or bite the bullet and run cat 6 around under your baseboards. If you're in a single dwelling, and don't use cable TV but have jacks ran, look into MoCA.

At the end of the day, run cat6 unless it's absolutely impossible, then fall back to wireless N
I agree, avoid wifi, if possible.

Use it only for mobile devices / laptops etc. Severs and media players / htpc located somewhere on a fixed location should be wired - best case GBit ethernet.

Powerline works sometimes well, but there are out there installation with 3-phase power and there can be trouble also when using some machinery in the kittchen / laundry etc. I know, there are solutions out there for powerline (coupling modules, filters) and for wifi like repeater etc to get a better coverage and signal strength).

Anyway, a dedicated wired cat5e / cat6 network is still the best and the cheapest solution in the end.
Quote:I may look into buying a pair of PowerLines and seeing how they work.

I had POE and thought it was working well for gaming, etc. I was able to stream movies via my ATV2 and XBMC. I ran into problems when I was streaming from XBMC using my HTPC and videos would not play. Surprisingly, I eliminated my POE adapter and haven't had any problems (yet) streaming wirelessly (and that was wireless G, just recently made the switch to N).
My HTPC Setup:
Inwin BQ 656 Case
MSI E350IS-E45 APU
(1.6GB AMD Dual Core/AMD Radeon HD6310)
30GB OCZ SSD
4GB Kingston Hyper X Ram
XBMCbuntu 11.0
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR705

Well....I say MoCA if you have existing RG6 Cable running throughout your home which most of us in the USA should have if you've ever subscribed to digital cableTV. PowerLine performance is intermittent depending on the type of wiring you have in the walls and what types of appliances you use. Streaming large 1080p files Is however possible when using MediaServer software(Serviio Y TVersity) and PowerLine, but when streaming directly, performance drops off quite considerably. WiFi.... I would only use for basic Internet surfing and and streaming Internet media... u should NOT rely on WiFi for home network media streaming!

I admit to using both MoCA and PowerLine on my network with success while pulling media files from unRAID. CAT5e/CAT6 is ideal, but not entirely necessary for home media streaming purposes and XBMC!

....oh yeah, Gort will only save us if Mr. Carpenter A.K.A Klaatu sees us all getting along!
While I have been able to watch movies over my wireless. (Although I will get stutters sometimes which can get pretty aggravating)

I decided to take the plunge and purchase this PowerLine solution. Since I didn't want to run CAT cables through my walls,...a few coworkers Highly Recommended these and said they use them flawlessly with their HTPC.
ZyXEL PLA401v3 HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Powerline Wall-plug Adapter (Starter Kit - 2 units)
If you have to use wireless, only use 5ghz N to avoid interference.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC1