CraftyTV, is it legal?
Sad 
i got a request to create a script for crafty tv.
they provide .nsv streams for old tv series like simpsons, friends, m.a.s.h, etc for free. haven't watched any of them though, since you need an activex control to do so.

i was wondering is this site legal?

ok the stuff has been broadcasted on the tv back then. and i don't think there is any country where the simpsons haven't been broadcasted yet.
but i don't think this would allow people to stream it into the net for free.

so can anybody please comment on this.
i don't want to create any scripts that access illegal sites.

bernd
well right on there site under the conditions of use section it states.

legal notice

if you wish to be a viewer of this website you must meet the following requirements before you watch:
1) you own the program(s) on dvd/other legally obtained form of media.
2) you receive a cable/satellite/antenna feed with the program(s)

it is your fundamental right as a consumer to record/copy/digitize/re-view/ anything you buy or subscribe to at any time you wish to review them. since these tv shows are easily accessible to nearly 100% of the u.s. population, and a majority of the foreign population we do not wish to burden you with any proof of ownership/subscribership. we make what you have the fundamental right to record and review available to you 24/7 if you do not have the personal ability to record/view at home.

so you can go from that.

th3_h0und
(th3_h0und @ june 18 2005,20:24 Wrote:well right on there site under the conditions of use section it states.

legal notice

if you wish to be a viewer of this website you must meet the following requirements before you watch:
1) you own the program(s) on dvd/other legally obtained form of media.
2) you receive a cable/satellite/antenna feed with the program(s)

it is your fundamental right as a consumer to record/copy/digitize/re-view/ anything you buy or subscribe to at any time you wish to review them. since these tv shows are easily accessible to nearly 100% of the u.s. population, and a majority of the foreign population we do not wish to burden you with any proof of ownership/subscribership. we make what you have the fundamental right to record and review available to you 24/7 if you do not have the personal ability to record/view at home.

so you can go from that.

th3_h0und
and then there are local and international laws and copyrights which all overrule this creative "legal notice".

ofcourse this site is not legal. it is the same as cartoonfridge which had to give up "due to bandwidth and legal issues"
(bakman @ june 20 2005,06:55 Wrote:then there are local and international laws and copyrights which all overrule this creative "legal notice".
yes, local laws at both ends, it's probebely illegal (copyright breach) to stream that from a website hosted in the united states but probebely legal from a handfull of other small contries which have other copyright laws, then on the end-users side it's the copyright laws of the country he/she is in that needs to be respected, ...on the other side you as a script-writter should in theory not be affected by this as you do not host or stream the materials yourself, you are only the a person who 'tell/show others' where to find the material, kind of like a site that host bittorrent-files and trackers shouldn't be resposeble for what other individuals share and download through that site.

disclaimer: i am not a lawer, the above argument is only based on logic and not facts, i can not be held resposable if you or users of a such script becomes legaly accountable :p
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(gamester17 @ june 20 2005,08:25 Wrote:...on the other side you as a script-writter should in theory not be affected by this as you do not host or stream the materials yourself, you are only the a person who 'tell/show others' where to find the material, kind of like a site that host bittorrent-files and trackers shouldn't be resposeble for what other individuals share and download through that site.
there are other countries where it is even illegal to link to such sites.
i read about a guy in germany getting a fine for selling an old computer magazine containing an article about and link to a cd-duplicator program which was completely legal at the time of printing.

i'm also not a lawyer. and as long i'm not 100% sure the usage of that site is legal i won't continue working on the script.
i don't want to get me or any xbmc user into trouble.

although they have nice shows there.

damn! life was really easier back in the good ol' analogue days :nuts:
the only thing was a small icon on the backside of my vinyl lp cover saying "home taping is killing music"

bernd

ps:
just checked out nic.
the site was registered on 2005-04-14.
so we'll wait an see wether the site is still running in a month or two.
after seeing this site i went ahead n made a script. it works just need to make it more pretty, den ill upload it
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
what an awesome site!

can't wait to see the script to use it in xbmc.

thanks!
same here... was going to script it myself but davey boy has sorted it... look forward to it mate.
k its finished just need somewhere to host it
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
put it on xbmcscripts. its the place to be for scripts.

bernd
i am not sure i will approve this. will think about it for a while (read: some days, i usually get wind up with something else and forget all about it Wink ). the problem is that i wouldn't approve a script that let you download copyrighted movies/games/xbmc from the web. i can't see how this is different.
xbmcscripts.com administrator
hi everyone,
what it comes down to is the "fair use" of what you paid to "use".

if you want to read about the extreme, and legal, use of fair use...
http://www.darknet.com/2005/06/story_fair_use_.html

basically,
it is legal to record, for your own purposes, something which you already paid for (cable or sat channel you pay for) or was given free (over the air tv)... ie tv shows.

but, if someone with enough money wants to fight you on it, they will... and can, but not always, win.

the bottom line is this is nothing to worry about... no one if profitting from it and the likelyhood that the industry will come after the people here is very, very slim.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Sad 
howver if you buy a vhs-tape with a movie that doesn't give you the right to get the dvd-version for free :p or if you seen it on cable/satellite you can't legaly download it from p2p :hmm:
...again the copyright and fair-use laws may differ from country to country (or even state to state if you're in the usa), then it may be interpreted differently by diffrent lawers and judges.

ps! the odds of someone 'attacking' a script for a website before 'attacking' the website itself is slim to none, even then they usually send you a polite warning first asking to please stop.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
its like saying isohunt.com is illegal, but all that does is retrieve links from other site. the script itself is 100% legal and doesnt break any laws.
if u want ill add the legal notice to the script so every1 no's the terms and conditions of use. but the script itself doesnt in any way break the law.
for all those who have requested the script by email, ill be happy to send it to you, im at work but will send it to you as fast as i can, found a small bug, audio books dont work yet. but ill add that later. part from that all seems fine. i recommend adding it to your submenu, ill add a guide and a screen shot later or in the zip.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CraftyTV, is it legal?0