Interlaced video output - proof of principle
I think we were talking at crossed purposes. I was under the impression that the interlaced output aim was to avoid having to de-interlace native interlaced content (stuff shot with 50/60Hz motion at 480i/576i/1080i) at anywhere in the chain, but to handle 480i or 576i content at 1080i.

However re-reading the thread I see the aim is to not scale 480i or 576i - and to output this natively as well - to allow higher quality scaling off-board?
480i and 576i native output is challenging for regular PCs because the HDMI connection requires pixel doubling at that resolution in order to avoid going below a minimum permitted pixel rate. So there are some tricks that have to be done with horizontal scaling to do this. The Rpi however has full support for these modes so it could be done with that without any horizontal scaling.
Just to make sure I am reading this correct. Doing this for 480i and 1080i is not support in the official XBMC 12.0. I was looking for a low power way of playing video and found this thread. The integrated GPU on an Intel Celeron could handling progressive and the TV handling interlaced seemed like the perfect solution for getting this working.
Tongue 
(2013-02-17, 16:04)noggin Wrote: I think we were talking at crossed purposes. I was under the impression that the interlaced output aim was to avoid having to de-interlace native interlaced content (stuff shot with 50/60Hz motion at 480i/576i/1080i) at anywhere in the chain, but to handle 480i or 576i content at 1080i.

However re-reading the thread I see the aim is to not scale 480i or 576i - and to output this natively as well - to allow higher quality scaling off-board?

For me scaling 576i and outputting it at 1080i is just what is needed.
Is this on progress?

At the moment xbmc output is jumpy, when using interlaced output. It is jumpy even when material itself is not interladec, but output is.

Just say no to deinterlacing Smile
I do not believe it is possible to scale 576i to 1080i without first deinterlacing then scaling.

Have you tried the weave output under software only decoding? (i.e. no VDPAU or other hardware decoding). Providing you processor is strong enough you should be able to watch 1080i source with 1080i output. 576i/480i as I mentioned earlier in this thread is more challenging, but you could test the theory by turning off all scaling and watch 576i/480i in a small window with 1080i output.
(2013-05-29, 15:09)Stu-e Wrote: I do not believe it is possible to scale 576i to 1080i without first deinterlacing then scaling.

Have you tried the weave output under software only decoding? (i.e. no VDPAU or other hardware decoding). Providing you processor is strong enough you should be able to watch 1080i source with 1080i output. 576i/480i as I mentioned earlier in this thread is more challenging, but you could test the theory by turning off all scaling and watch 576i/480i in a small window with 1080i output.

My processor is not strong enough for h.264 1080 material.

Equally important is to use 1080i output with material which is not interlaced. At the moment output is very jumpy.
Is this possible? My hardware is AMD E-450.
Yes progressive video/film should work with weave. This will stop the jumpy output you describe. It's then up to your TV to perform inversetelecine (IVTC) to properly recombine the interlace fields back into progressive frames.

Your AMD E-450 I suspect is not powerful enough for 1080 H264 decode so no interlaced output for you. At least until someone can figure out how to port the new weave deinterlace feature to AMD XVBA hardware decoded video (and nVidia VDPAU).

Oh forgot to say 24p film would speed up to 25p in order to work with 50Hz 1080i. I can't see anyone spending time making 24p work with 60Hz using 3:2 pulldown. This is complicated and results in jerky video anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Interlaced video output - proof of principle0