problems with playing some rar files in xmbc
hi ...
I've had some problems with playing some rar files in a while. I've tried everything I could imagine about what the problem could be but nothing works.
can anyone help me here?
when i try playing a rar file it just dont do anyting... if i then continues to try playing it. it suddently pops up with. " one or more files could not be played check the log file for more info."
the log file dossent help me that mutch. but i hope you guys can see what the problem is.
adds a log file here below about one of your files.

xbmc log

Sincerely Silencewind
Could be a problem with the version of .Rar in the files.. a corrupt file etc... for those troublesome files, why not properly unrar them, and stick them in the folder as a video file.
(2012-04-29, 18:18)PatK Wrote: Could be a problem with the version of .Rar in the files.. a corrupt file etc... for those troublesome files, why not properly unrar them, and stick them in the folder as a video file.

have been thinking about that... but i have way over 100 files i have to decompress then and i relly cba doing that as it takes a ton of time... i just hoped that some1 could come with an anweser why xbmc just suddently after a reinstall of windows started to refuse to play some rar files...

have been seen on some boards that it could be ownership of the elements... but have check it and tried to fix the maps so i stood as the owner of the maps and files under it... but it still wont work.
Can you enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging and post the log. Enabling debugging gives more info about what's happening.
sry my long responce but have alot going on around me for the moment.

here is the debuging... Smile

debugging version
Hmm, the debugging info doesn't help. Obviously there's something about the rar that XBMC doesn't like.

XBMC uses an open source rar library; we didn't write the rar code ourselves. We'd have to dig into that code to add more detailed error reporting. For now I'm afraid the only option is to unpack and repack the file.
bah it was not the answer I was hoping for.
But if so then I have to bite the bullet and extract all the files it can not handle.

Thanks for the help anyway.

ps. THX for a great program. you guys do a great job... Smile
I have a simular problem.

I just reinstalled ubuntu 12.04 and now i cant seem to be able to play movies/series from within rar files, which worked fine for months. Those directories that worked yesterday now show up empty.
Same here, i just notice it yesterday when I wanted to play one old movie and my folder was empty.

in ubuntu 11.10 and XBMC 11.0 or older version worked fine only in ubuntu 12.04 is this problem.
I also have the same problem after upgrading xbmc and ubuntu.
This is the Windows sub-forum. XBMC from the official Ubuntu repo don't have rar support due to some licensing issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
problems with playing some rar files in xmbc0