Problems with moving Thumbnail folder on other profiles
I'm having some weirdness trying to change the location of thumbnails for an individual profile. I have a profile named "private", with it's own advancedsettings.xml. I set it up using a mysql database to keep everything in sync between multiple XBMC setups in the house. It all worked perfectly until I tried to set up the thumbnails in a shared location.

I couldn't get it to work right because it was for a profile that wasn't masterprofile. I tried all manner of combinations in the path substitution until I found another thread and tried this:
Code:
<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
                <from>special://Thumbnails</from>
                <to>smb://RIPLEY/Users/K/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/userdata/profiles/Private/Thumbnails</to>
        </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>
It now works and reads and writes correctly to that location. Unfortunately I have a problem when I change profiles from Private back to my master profile. All the settings change and the correct advancedsettings.xml file is loaded, but the library is incorrect. It only lists the content that's in my Private profile. I have to exit XBMC and restart, at which point it shows the content in the normal master profile. Going from master to private works fine too (the correct files are loaded)... it's only the switchback.

It definitely has something to do with the substitution too. If I comment out those lines, switching between profiles works perfectly. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug? What's the proper way to address the Thumbnail folder for a profile that isn't masterprofile?
Code:
<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
                <from>special://profile/Thumbnails</from>
                <to>smb://RIPLEY/Users/K/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/userdata/profiles/Private/Thumbnails</to>
        </substitute>
        <substitute>
                <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>
        </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>

tried that? Untested, maybe it will work
Turns out the way to do it for individual profiles is like this:

Code:
    <substitute>
        <from>special://masterprofile/profiles/Network Private/Thumbnails</from>
        <to>smb://RIPLEY/Users/HTPC/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/userdata/profiles/Private/Thumbnails</to>
      </substitute>
      <substitute>
        <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>
        <to>C:\Users\K\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails</to>
      </substitute>

Unfortunately, it still doesn't fix my problem of the library getting confused though. Whenever I'm in the private profile and switch back to master, it uses the wrong videodatabase. And it only happens when the substitute profile thumbnails is set up. It's very frustrating.
I seem to have fixed the problem by manually adding the following to my masterprofile advancedsettings.xml (which was not using the networked mysql database because it was local):

Code:
<videodatabase>
        <type>sqlite3</type>
        <host>C:\Users\K\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Database</host>
        <name>MyVideos</name>
    </videodatabase>

I guess once you over-ride the videodatabase in any profile, it doesn't get changed back when you switch to the masterprofile again.
(2012-04-29, 19:28)Mordred Wrote: I seem to have fixed the problem by manually adding the following to my masterprofile advancedsettings.xml (which was not using the networked mysql database because it was local):

Code:
<videodatabase>
        <type>sqlite3</type>
        <host>C:\Users\K\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Database</host>
        <name>MyVideos</name>
    </videodatabase>

I guess once you over-ride the videodatabase in any profile, it doesn't get changed back when you switch to the masterprofile again.

Incorrect. I do this all the time and I've never had to tell my master profile to use the local DB in advancedsettings.xml. There must be something off about your setup.
(2012-05-01, 01:54)Ned Scott Wrote: Incorrect. I do this all the time and I've never had to tell my master profile to use the local DB in advancedsettings.xml. There must be something off about your setup.
Were you also doing pathsubstitution on the Thumbnail folder? Commenting out that line and everything worked without having to point the masterprofile to the default videodatabase location, no matter how many profiles I switched between.
(2012-05-01, 02:00)Mordred Wrote:
(2012-05-01, 01:54)Ned Scott Wrote: Incorrect. I do this all the time and I've never had to tell my master profile to use the local DB in advancedsettings.xml. There must be something off about your setup.
Were you also doing pathsubstitution on the Thumbnail folder? Commenting out that line and everything worked without point the masterprofile to the default videodatabase location, no matter how many profiles I switched between.

Good catch! Very strange behavior indeed.
(2012-05-01, 02:08)Ned Scott Wrote: Good catch! Very strange behavior indeed.
Glad to see I'm not crazy Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with moving Thumbnail folder on other profiles0