Apple TV crashing
Everything was working fine for months, then today all of a sudden my Apple TV starts behaving very strangely.

The ATV 2G boots up normally, gets to the main apple interface, then immediately the screen flashes black for about 10 seconds and then returns to the main apple UI. The white light on the apple tv blinks once during this ongoing problem. It has been doing it constantly since the issue started.

The only thing I did prior to this problem occuring is I unplugged the apple tv (while it was on) and replugged it into another outlet.

Anyone have any clue what this is? I'm thinking I'll have to rejailbreak, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Update: One other thing I can mention is that when I removed the LAN cable, the rebooting stopped. But as soon as I put the LAN back in the reboot/flash would occur. I even tried wifi, but that had the same issue. I decided to restore back to 4.4.4 and am in the process of transferring back my XBMC backup.
The interesting this is that I had a friend mention that he was seeing this same thing. I thought he was nuts, but then it happened to me. Maybe 11.0-3 could have caused it?
definitly unrelated to xbmc. if you still can ssh in you could try to get the syslog - this could tell whats going on...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I disagree on that, i had the same issue after i started playing around with some skins.
Open a shell to your apple-tv and delete/rename your userdata folder. This should get you back into XBMC
I had the exact same problem after I updated the software using NitoTV's update all option. The ATV2 kept rebooting over and over again when the network cable was attached. Removing the network cable would stop the reboot loop, and as soon as the cable was back in, reboots all over again.

I found a solution on the firecore/seas0npass forums. This worked for me, and ATV2 and XBMC now run properly again.
For details, go here: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/7837?page=2

In a nutshell, you need to ssh into the ATV2, and then remove and re-install these three packages: beigelist com.nito.nitotv org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
Only beigelist is the problem then. And when i say its unrelated to xbmc the i mean it. As the op stated it doesn't crash on starting xbmc, but its just in a reboot loop without even beeing able to do anything with the box @IT-King.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Here is the info from the syslog I pulled:

May 1 15:03:13 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: DISP: About to set display mode to: mode:<CADisplayMode 1280 x 720; pixelAspect 1> refreshRate:60.000000
May 1 15:03:13 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: DISP: Display mode change successful
May 1 15:03:13 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: DISP: setting color mode from preferences to 1
May 1 15:03:13 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: DISP: setting color mode to 1.
May 1 15:03:13 Apple-TV timed[48]: (Note ) CoreTime: Received setup time request.
May 1 15:03:13 Apple-TV timed[48]: (Note ) CoreTime: TMSetupTime: timezone already set.
May 1 15:03:13 Apple-TV timed[48]: (Note ) CoreTime: Received setup timezone request.
May 1 15:03:13 Apple-TV timed[48]: (Note ) CoreTime: TMSetupTimeZone: timezone already set.
May 1 15:03:13 Apple-TV kernel[0]: AppleRGBOUT, capabilitiesConfusedupportsMirroring=0
May 1 15:03:13: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
May 1 15:03:13 Apple-TV wifid[46]: WiFi:[357591793.754493]: Enable WoW requested by "AppleTV"
May 1 15:03:13 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: AP: Failed to get current network for WiFi channel.
May 1 15:03:14 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: Appliance com.apple.frontrow.appliance.movies not loaded because it doesn't have any categories.
May 1 15:03:14 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: Appliance com.apple.frontrow.appliance.music not loaded because it doesn't have any categories.
May 1 15:03:15 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: Appliance com.apple.frontrow.appliance.tv not loaded because it doesn't have any categories.
May 1 15:03:16 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: NITOTV INITIALIZE
May 1 15:03:16 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: +[<ATVSWUpdateCheckTask: 0x3eab793c> _shouldPerformCheck]
May 1 15:03:16 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: Appliance com.apple.frontrow.appliance.movies not loaded because it doesn't have any categories.
May 1 15:03:16 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: Appliance com.apple.frontrow.appliance.music not loaded because it doesn't have any categories.
May 1 15:03:16 Apple-TV AppleTV[266]: Appliance com.apple.frontrow.appliance.tv not loaded because it doesn't have any categories.
beigelist should be updated, so you should be able to fix this by applying updates either via NitoTV or by doing these two commands

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

This isn't enough to fix the problem, what fixed it was:
# apt-get remove beigelist
# apt-get install beigelist com.nito.nitotv org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
(2012-05-05, 20:18)dieselboy27 Wrote: apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

This isn't enough to fix the problem, what fixed it was:

I guess the guy didn't bump the version number when he posted the update.. how odd.
(2012-05-05, 20:18)dieselboy27 Wrote: This isn't enough to fix the problem, what fixed it was:

Thx - this fixed my problems as well.
Two days ago my atv2 exhibited these symptoms - infinite bootloop.

As others have done I found I could boot as long as there was no internet connection.

I tried the solution here (apt-get remove and install beigelist etc) but the problem still exists.

I tried reinstalling my current iOS version (4.2.1) using iFaith saved blobs but iTunes errors on restore.

As a last resort I did a "standard" restore - i.e. I upgraded to iOS 5.3.

My aTV works perfectly at iOS 5.3. No bootloops.

I used iFaith to downgrade back to iOS 4.2.1 and this time no errors in iTunes and the restore completed successfully.

But the bootloops are back, exactly as before!

With an internet connection it is in permanent bootloop, with no internet connection it is fine (although un-jailbroken).

Can anyone suggest a solution please?

Thanks
Paul
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
To resolve this issue I had to do the following:
  • get to the point I was at before (unjailbroken 4.2.1 iOS)
  • rejailbreak using Greenpoison
  • using winscp, ssh to the atv and edit hosts (add a line "127.0.0.1 ax.init.itunes.apple.com" to /etc/hosts)
  • ssh in and install xbmc
  • ssh in and uninstall com.nito.nitotv

I'm starting to think this was a nito issue....?
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
Installing updatebegone should have solved it aswell (blocking ios updates)
sorry wrong thread.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV crashing0