Default volume -60.0 dB
bluray has already gave the awnser all of you want...
(2012-04-30, 23:52)bluray Wrote: You can adjust the volume to your desired volume, and then scroll down to "set default for all movies" and set it......

What he means is you set the decibels to 0 instead of -60...then at the bottom of the settings menu select the "set default for all movies" button

PS, make sure your audio output is correct or you won't hear anything
(2012-06-01, 23:59)digitaltomj Wrote: bluray has already gave the awnser all of you want...
(2012-04-30, 23:52)bluray Wrote: You can adjust the volume to your desired volume, and then scroll down to "set default for all movies" and set it......

What he means is you set the decibels to 0 instead of -60...then at the bottom of the settings menu select the "set default for all movies" button

PS, make sure your audio output is correct or you won't hear anything

As I wrote above:
When a remote is added, the test signal during configuration is a 'mute' signal. XBMC is then automatically on mute from then on (and thus goes back to mute on a re-start) and you always see the red icon, and the volume is set to -60 (mute ...). Changing from -60 to 0 when a movie is playing is thus a temporary setting, which is why it doesn't stick.

In other words, yes, you can do what you say, set default for all movies, yes we tried it, but the setting goes right back to -60 on your next restart, so it's not a permanent fix.
well what are all you guys doing to add a remote?...I have added remotes to windows 7, 8, and ubuntu 12.04 now and have never ran into those problems...are you all using a specific remote or a specific OS?

PS, it says for ATV 2:

(2012-01-07, 03:38)Snookieboy Wrote: Edit: Self Fixed, Edited GUISettings.XML on this line:
<volumelevel>-6000</volumelevel>
To:
<volumelevel>0</volumelevel>

So just go into your GUISettings.xml file and edit it yourself if you have this problem...the file's location depends on what OS you are using
Android in my case, XP, XBMC 11.0/Eden. The problem also occurs with an iPad remote. If either remote included a 'mute' button, and/or the instructions on the app said to be sure to turn the volume back up after the communication test (or a different function than 'mute' was used for the communication test), there would likely be less of an issue.
Android is your OS or your remote? Assuming you meant remote and didn't accidently write XP for no reason...your GUISettings.xml file should be here:
Code:
C:\Users\%User Name%\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\guisettings.xml
You might have to go into your folder options in the control panel and enable hidden folders or you won't see the AppData folder

PS, this is not as far as I can tell, a problem with xbmc...but with the app you used so you could use your android/ios device as a remote
I haven't "added" a remote, I'm still using the standard one that came with my PC, same as I was before.
I tried editing volumelevel in guisettings.xml as suggested above, but it just resets to -60dB when XBMC is started, the same as if I turn the volume up myself.
(2012-06-02, 12:42)Xobbo Wrote: I haven't "added" a remote, I'm still using the standard one that came with my PC, same as I was before.
I tried editing volumelevel in guisettings.xml as suggested above, but it just resets to -60dB when XBMC is started, the same as if I turn the volume up myself.

are any of your other media playback programs affected? what OS are you using?
(2012-06-02, 22:08)digitaltomj Wrote: are any of your other media playback programs affected? what OS are you using?

Nothing else is affected, as far as I can tell. OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.
Incidentally, the red symbol remains even after putting the volume back up. Don't know if this means anything.
damn...i was hoping you were using linux...but with windows 7 I really dont know what the cause of the problem is...and that is weird that the mute button remains even after it is unmuted...Someone must know what the problem is...but if it were me...id use revo uninstaller, and do an advanced uninstall to delete all of the registry keys, and program files associated with xbmc...and then I would do a fresh install of the stable release...you may want to save that option as a last resort however...and I would recommend exporting your libraries first just incase too
Thanks, I was thinking of trying to reinstall anyway. I'll try with Revo.
(2012-06-02, 00:56)digitaltomj Wrote: Android is your OS or your remote? Assuming you meant remote and didn't accidently write XP for no reason...
Correct :-)

(2012-06-02, 00:56)digitaltomj Wrote: your GUISettings.xml file should be here:
Code:
C:\Users\%User Name%\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\guisettings.xml
You might have to go into your folder options in the control panel and enable hidden folders or you won't see the AppData folder

PS, this is not as far as I can tell, a problem with xbmc...but with the app you used so you could use your android/ios device as a remote

Exactly. My take on it is the addition of a remote sends the mute signal to XBMC as part of the remote configuration process of the software on the remote (ipad, Android phone etc.). Thus the problem is with the remote. Nothing you do with XBMC settings (like turning up the volume for that movie using the XMBC screen interface like bluray said, or changing the guisettings.xml like you suggested) is a permanent fix, as XBMC just goes back to the last setting from the remote (the mute setting) on program reboot.

To solve the problem, as I did, was to turn up the volume *using the remote*, which permanently got rid of the red button and muted sound.

So in short, the remote caused the problem, so you have to use the remote to fix it, and not the XBMC screen interface itself.

For Xobbo, did you try turning up the volume with your *standard [remote] that came with [your] PC*?
(2012-06-04, 00:36)SHO NUT Wrote: For Xobbo, did you try turning up the volume with your *standard [remote] that came with [your] PC*?

or pressing the plus sign on your keyboard...as simple as it sounds sometimes its the simple things we overlook...like i didnt know the tab brought what ever was playing in focus till a month ago
The plus key worked! Thanks, digitaltomj!
Actually, as simple a solution as it might seem, I don't use the keyboard for that PC so the solution wasn't exactly right in front of me. The same goes for returning to Now Playing, which was my other major issue with XBMC too - without a keyboard, most skins get stuck in the menus without any way to return to whatever's playing. It really annoyed me when people kept saying "it's easy - just press the tab key to go to full screen!" but I don't want to have to go searching for batteries to put in my keyboard every time I want to get back to the player. I thought the whole point of having a Media Center was so that you could operate your videos just from a remote control without getting "stuck". In the end I just had to find a skin with that option built into a menu.
Anyway, volume problem solved now it seems, although the fact that it XBMC can get stuck in a mode which constantly reset the volume setting, and which can only be solved (so far as we can tell) from the keyboard, seems like a bug to me. And I'd say the same about the "Now Playing" problem, despite the protestations of some members who claim it's not a problem because you only have to press the "Tab" key (which I don't have) or edit the XML settings files (a ridiculously complicated and time-consuming requirement for such a fundamental function).

Anyway, as I said, problem solved, so XBMC is now once again the best Media Center by far!
set as default for all movies does *NOT*, i repeat *NOT* apply to the volume. the volume is an app-global and is not saved per video.

and xobbo. you go solve keymapping for all input devices there is. that would be some *MAGIC* code. i want it.
My comments have very little to do with key mappings. If there was a standard menu option to go back to "Now Playing" that would prevent people getting stuck - it's a design problem, not a technical one.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Default volume -60.0 dB0