Win Underscan problems with "automatic display refresh rate" on AMD E-450 CPU/GPU
hi there,

i have problems with the option "adjust display refresh rate to match video". the problem is that - after xbmc changes the display resolution - my graphics card/chip willl activate the underscan option in the catalyst control center. i thought "hey, thats easy - just turn off the underscan option for each resolution". but it doesn't work.

it doesn't matter if it is 1080p, 720p, 480p, 576p or anything else. the underscan option in CCC is deactivated. everything is ok on desktop or xbmc homescreen. even if i change the resolution direct on desktop. but when i start a movie, xbmc changes the resolution / refresh rate and the black edges on left/right will be there.

any tips? CCC is already up to date.
xbmc (eden) runs on win7 with amd e-450 gpu (hd 6320 cpu). without "automatic display refresh rate" i don't have any problems. but playback isn't very smooth.

please excuse my bad english. i don't use it very often.
XBMC should not be changing resolution. It only changes refresh rate with that option. Are you sure the resolution is changing?
Make sure you set the overscan settings in CCC for each individual refresh rate that you use.

Open CCC change display setting to 24Hz, or whatever one you want, make sure that the overscan settiing is set to 0 - slider all the way to the right, save and confirm. Do that for all the refresh rates that you use and save each one in the same manner.

All files should then render in full screen - where appropriate.
ok, maybe it is only the refresh rate.

but where in CCC can i set a refresh rate of 24hz?! i can only set "1080p 30hz" and "1080p 60hz".
In the same place you set 30 and 60hz, but I think it will only show if your display supports that refresh rate. I only used 24hz as the example - if it isn't there do it for the rates that are.
ok, got it. i had to deactivate another option in CCC to get the movie-refresh-rates. i never will understand this tool.
but it works only for 1080p/24 (hd movies).

normal dvd playback with 576p/25 playback doesn't work. underscan is disabled.

if xbmc doesn't change the resolution, it should work with 1080p/25, right? but both (576p/25 and 1080p/25) have no effect for sd-material.
Your display device will have to support 25hz. XBMC will scale the file up to the resolution you set in the display settings. Then it will switch the display to try to match the refresh rate of the video. If your display device supports 25hz, you should be fine.

The CCC panel is clumsy at best. Nvidia's is not much better. In a attempt to make things better these control panel's have truly become a nightmare.
now it works... the movie file is in 25fps. but xbmc does not play it at 25hz - it changed to 1080p/50hz.
50Hz is double 25Hz, so playback should still be smooth. You can override refresh rates using advancedsetting.xml if you want to. Look at measure refresh rate and settings in the video playback section.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Underscan problems with "automatic display refresh rate" on AMD E-450 CPU/GPU0