So many options, some one offer some direction?
I feel like all I do anymore is scour the internet researching products and things, only to be disappointed with how few results pertain to what I am looking for or the question I am asking.

I am looking to get my house set up XBMC friendly.

Current set-up

15" MBP 2011 OSX 10.6.8
XBMC "stable" Eden release
Thuderbolt to HDMI adapter to Dynex 32" tv (used as monitor and for video playback currently)
100 plus gigs of HD and SD movies (assorted file types, mostly .mkv or avi)
100 plus gigs of HD and SD TV Shows
All on my MBPs HDD
I run add-ons Hulu, XBMCflix, Free Cable, Icefilms.info, youtube and VEVO

40" Sceptre HDTV that is more or less useless until I get a media center set up (can watch DVD's, BD's, DTV and Super Nintendo)

Additional parts to potentially be used
Windows PC core Duo 3.66ghz Vista Home Premium, 4gb ram, 360gb HDD
Netgear WGR614 v8

What I am looking to achieve

1. All Movie and TV shows off my MBP's HDD onto some form of Network storage 2-3TB
2. All Movies and TV shows accessible on my MBP through the network using XBMC
3. The Sceptre 40" Streaming as the main "TV" device in the house with Access to the network storage using XBMC
4. Moving iTunes music library to networked storage
5. Least important but willing to pay extra if easy to achieve is using the network storage to back up my mac, (with time machine or CCC or manually)

Budget ~$250 (the cheaper the better)

I have 1080p, 720p, and all kinds of SD Video resolustions but I don't care if the 1080p actually streams at 1080p as long as it streams to the TV without issue.

Suggestions, the whole reason I am here is to get recommendations on what to do.

As I see it I have a few options but I am having trouble finding the "cons" with any of them.

Option 1: Get a 1-3tb HDD and an HDMI video card for the PC, transfer the media to that Computer and Set-up network sharing, Plug the PC directly into the TV through HDMI

Concerns: Will I be able to access ALL those Shared video files from the PC on the Mac and if I add another TV will the PC share with a Jailbroken ATV2 with XBMC
ALSO can I back up the mac to the Shared folder on the PC

Seems like the cheapest option as I can get the card and HDD for ~$150 (and I can get the card now and wait on the HDD)

Option 2: Get some form of network Drive and a streaming box, this should allow me to partition the drive and use it for backup as well correct?

Concerns: I would like a box with support for XBMC to keep everything stream lined and that would support most if not all of my video files and will stream a "1080p" file even if its not truly streaming it at 1080p

ATV2 Seems like a pretty good option when jailbroken, would it do what I am suggesting, does the Jailbreak add additional support for mkv, flv, avi etc? and will it work on the network drive and like I said I'm not a stickler for "1080p" support as long as they playback.

Any preferred boxes?

Costs about $99 for the box ~$150 for the network attached HDD about $250 total cost, plus time to Jailbreak (not an issue)

Option 3: Sort of combines 1 and 2 Get a 2-3TB HDD for the PC and use the PC to share Files to streaming box, as well as macbook

Concerns are the same, Will I be able to us the PC's Shared folder to back up my mac, will it share files with the ATV2 or whatever box I would choose for streaming, will it share files with the MBP for streaming

This would cost $99 for the ATV2, ~$100 for the HDD total cost $200

My inclination is to go with the cheapest, that also seems to be the most feature rich which is Option 1 as I don't mind having the PC near the TV and I would benefit from it having a dedicated monitor (I still use 1 program on the PC called TabIt but currently never use it because I have to Switch the monitor out) My concern is the quality and stability of file sharing through Windows vista with UAC turned off, can I set-Up XBMC on my macbook to use the shared Movies and TV shows folder on the PC for my library for when I do want to watch a movie on it? Can I back up my mac to that folder? I also like this option because I can start sooner using the current 360gb HDD already in the Vista PC. This also cuts out a potentially unnecessary NAS device and TV stream box as I will be plugged in direct. I am also willing to upgrade the router to a Dual band N or something of the like to increase speed and support if necessary.

Thoughts? Ideas? I am a relative novice so, I can't really fix code or anything without EXPLICIT instruction.

Am I missing some options?

Thank You in advance!

EDIT: I could also use a DVI-D (with audio support) to HDMI adapter I has 2 composite TV tuner and Coax in as well as digital audio out (is most of the stuff to dated to make use of?) It has a dual DVI card added because the integrated graphics wont register through VGA on ANY monitor.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/produ...ct=3303830 (that is the exact model PC)

Potential converter box http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...largeimage

Downsides to converter vs new HDMI card?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
So many options, some one offer some direction?0