• 5(current)
Any interest in hiding tv thumbnails when hiding plot?
(2014-09-29, 09:17)da-anda Wrote: Actually it's way more easy to just ignore a plot in GUI then a thumbnail that might even spoil in peripheral view.

That's my thoughts on the subject as well but I was just thinking of all the 'Where's my thumbs gone!" threads this might start. Wink
Thats why Im suggesting you use fallback artwork which already exists to go in place of the thumb thats been ommited. So you get a generic filler thumb no matter what. In either case I would expect this setting to be default on.
I managed to hide the thumbs along with the plot but I'm not having a replacement image in place yet (maybe use fanart?). Issue though is, that "recently added" list shown on homescreen doesn't respect that setting - so I suppose skinwidgets would have to be adjusted accordingly as well?

edit: heavily blurring unwatched thumbs might also be an option, but we can't do that atm
Fallback should be to DefaultVideo.png imo.
Not really, not all thumbs are spoilers. Default fallback would suffice
Default does not suffice. Default expresses to the user "no image found", because that's when they normally see DefaultVideo.png. A special image expresses to the user "this image is being hidden to prevent spoilers".
Spoilers is a English word, so it would have to be some image that expresses that in all languages. Text in images that cant be translated makes no sense, if that can be done then I suppose is by overlay some actual string over the default fallback image (in a bigger font size) and have that translated, then sure.

By using a default image only the settings explanation could also inform users of this fact anyway that the image show is not for lack of a real thumb is because its a potential spoiler.
Obviously, I'm not suggesting we use that exact image. For starters, it's taken from 4chan who took the basic image from MST3K, and who knows what copyright it actually has.

The point still stands, using some kind of expressive "this is being hidden" icon, would be better than using the image that most people associate with meaning "no artwork".
That's not simple at all, an image that expresses that visually in a universal iconic recognizable manner that is simple to understand by all in a non textual manner, is hard to achieve in very least.

What would be conceivably easier, since you cant blur the actual image is to overlay a blurred solid color image over the top and have its opacity to 70% or 80% so you can see the original thumb underneath but not so much as you could easily glamour the possible visual spoiler. Something for thumbs like the dim screen-saver type idea.
I'm done trying to explain things to you. This is a thread to toss around ideas, not to shit on anything you can't wrap your head around. Thank you for sucking all the fun out of it.
* un1versal unsubscribes
(2014-09-29, 16:52)uNiversal Wrote: What would be conceivably easier, since you cant blur the actual image is to overlay a blurred solid color image over the top
I wonder how a solid colour image would look like when blurred - right, exactly the same as not blurred Wink

So what about simply using fanart? Or overlay a question mark with 90% opacity or something - but the later would have to be skin specific
A couple of quick thoughts for a custom image.

1st thought was a curtains type one to suggest something hidden

2nd would probably look totally out of place, and that's a "Shhh" icon as that's widely understood to mean either something secret, or to keep quiet. Only posting in case it might inspire a better idea.

Also along the same thought lines as da-anda, rather than fanart what about just using the series poster thumbnail.
I like the Shhh one - should work in alot of cultures i hope Smile
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any interest in hiding tv thumbnails when hiding plot? 3