Linux Playback issues with LiveTV (tvheadend) after a while
Question 
About one week ago I decided to switch from Windows Media Center to Ubuntu 12.04 + XBMC Eden. First impression; it's awesome! :-)
As i'm using the HTPC mostly for LiveTV, that was the first priority for to make work again.
I've installed oscam + tvheadend + xbmc, and it all worked well, atleast for the first couple minutes....

After about 45 to 1,5 hour (sometimes it occurs fast, sometimes it doens't) my TV playback start to get laggy, like i'm having 2 FPS. It always takes some time before the playback is really slow. When I move the mouse, it's also laggy but when I go the main menu of XBMC everything is fast and smooth, except the TV playback on the background.
Strange thing is that I can solve it by just switching from channels.... but after 45 minutes or longer, it all starts over again.
I think it are "Interlacing Artifiacts", but i'm not sure if it's the right term.

I'm already spending a couple days trying to find the source of this problem, but still nothing. Already reinstalled everything 4 times.
- Installed newer/custom versions (XBMC XVBA)
- New ATi driver (right from their site), latest one which is Catalyst 12.4.
- Upgraded tvheadend to 2.13git (ubuntu PPA)
- Changed my videocard to a more recent model

What I also notice while watching TV, is that when there is some object moving very fast, I see "lines" in the screen. No idea what it's called, hard to describe.
From some distance you don't see it, it's just when you're pretty close to the screen.

Nothing helped. On Windows Media Center I never had any playback issues.
I hope it's solvable, as I don't what to switch back to Windows Media CenterSmile

System specs:
AMD X2 6000+ (<20% CPU load)
3GB memory
ATi HD2600XT (changed to a HD5450, but didn't make any difference at all)
TerraTec Cinergy C PCI HD
Smargo smartcard reader

Ubuntu 12.04
TVHeadend 2.13git
Oscam
Latest ATI drivers (12.4).
Have you set deinterlacing mode to AUTO and deinterlacing method to xvba?
Note that ATI only supports very basic deinterling on Linux. Watching interlaced content is more fun with NVidia.
(2012-05-05, 20:54)FernetMenta Wrote: Have you set deinterlacing mode to AUTO and deinterlacing method to xvba?
Note that ATI only supports very basic deinterling on Linux. Watching interlaced content is more fun with NVidia.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.
"deinterlacing mode" was disabled, but i've now set it do "AUTO.
But I can't choose "xvba" as deinterlacing method. For now i've selected "deinterlace". The lines in the screen are now gone, and the mouse cursor doesn't lag anymore. Let's hope this will also solve the weird playback after 45+ minutes.

But I should have an option "xvba" as deinterlacing method?
"Allow Xvba" itself is enabled in settings -> videos -> playback.

XVBA currently does not support mpeg2. If you play mpeg2 content you won't have hw acceleration and xvba de-interlacing option is not in the list.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback issues with LiveTV (tvheadend) after a while0