For the last several months I have been tediously converting my movie collection to MP4s. 120 or so, working great, all done as of last week. Today, I go to watch one and discover that it wont play. Then I discover that none of them will play. No love from VLC, XBMC, etc.
After spending all day in research mode, it sounds like my problem may have something to do with broken mp4 headers. This is merely an educated guess (which if true, I'd have to attribute to one of the media organizer apps that I had tried in the last week).
To correct this, I've tried several apps & scripts to demux/ remux/ resave/ export the mp4s to get them to work... but so far, nothing has been able to play the actual video file within.
Everything about these files looks like they should work. I have no idea what happened, but the properties of the container & the media within look good as far as I can tell.
Can anyone help me? I'm pretty much at the end of the road.
- I try to play an MP4 from my within Movies folder, via multiple players, but the files simply won't work.
- Windows 7 64bit
- Lenovo Q180
Things I've tried that have failed:
- codec replacement - shark 007 update/ re-install
- ffmpeg - a simple acodec/ vcodec copy
- mp4box - demux/ remux
- mp4creator - demmux/ remux
- AVIDemux - open/ export
- YAMB - demux/ remux
- Grau GbR Video Repair Utility - open/ export
Other interesting tidbits:
- Any MP4 not in my Movies directory plays perfectly, on all players.
- I'm no newb, but I certainly feel like one.