• 1(current)
Completed my A6-Pack Build and an unRaid server (with pictures)
Star 
Well,..while in some ways I feel like a copy-cat,...I guess you can't argue with a system that works.
Thanks to all who gave comments on their systems and helped me decide on this system.

So, here are the parts that should arrive within the next 5-7 days:

[CASE]
SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B (Black) $59.99
[Power Supply]
SilverStone Strider 400W, 80 PLUS, Active PFC Power Supply ST40F-ES (Black) $48.99
[CPU]
AMD A6-3500 APU with AMD Radeon 6530 HD Graphics 2.1/2.4GHz Socket FM1 65W Triple-Core Processor - Retail AD3500OJGXBOX $74.99
[CPU Cooler]
Scythe BIG SHURIKEN 2 Rev B. 5-Heatpipe Universal Low Profile CPU Cooler (SCBSK-2100) $47.95
[MOBO]
ASRock MB-A75M Socket FM1/ AMD A75 FCH/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ Micro ATX Motherboard $74.99
[RAM]
Kingston HyperX Genesis 4 GB Kit (2x2 GB Modules) 1866MHz DDR3 PC3-15000 240-Pin Non-ECC CL9 1.65V DIMM XMP Desktop Memory KHX1866C9D3K2/4GX $35.74
[SSD]
Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2 $80.99
[BD-ROM]
LG UH12LS28K LightScribe 12x SATA Blu-Ray Combo Internal Drive, Bulk (Black) $57.39
[OS]
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack $99.99
[Keyboard]
IOGEAR Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel, 2.4GHz Wireless GKM561R (Black) $39.08
[Remote]
Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition $15.41
I didn't buy an internal HD, since I already have a 2TB and a 1TB just laying around.
I'm also going to try going wireless with this system to the unRaid, and I already have a few Wireless N USB sticks

Total: $635.51 (Yikes,..more than the Ausus or Zotac I was originally looking at for $335,..but I should be happy once this is all done)

and for the unRaid (I already have several SATA Drives laying around, as well as a motherboard and RAM,...just hope this mobo boots from usb):
[Case]
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $44.99 (after discount and rebate applied)
[Power Supply]
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $39.99
Will try the Free 3-drive version of unRaid, and make sure all works, and if it does,..I'll buy the 10-drive version (or is it 6-drive version, whatever,.. you get the idea)

Total: $84.98

I suppose I will probably be missing a few SATA cables, but I can run down to Radio Shack.
I believe the CPU will ship with heat sink paste,...right?
I also brought a HDMI cable that I didn't list above. That was like $8.00

So,..any comments? I won't unwrap anything until I have received all of the parts. I can always return something if anyone spots an obvious mistake I made.

Build looks solid but i haven't looked through all the details on each item. if you did your research then it will be a great box.

Quote:I'm also going to try going wireless with this system to the unRaid
I would not go wireless to your main HPTC, for the occasional viewing in other areas inside your wireless range it would be fine but for the full enjoyment of your main I wouldn't. You may say I only have 720HD which is ok for wireless but sooner or later that will turn into 1080HD and then you will run into problems. Just my thoughts and experience I have streaming content over wireless.
(2012-05-07, 14:43)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Well,..while in some ways I feel like a copy-cat,...I guess you can't argue with a system that works.
Don't feel bad....the builds in this forum can be found all over the net!

You'll enjoy your HTPC......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Sweet setup......

One thing I would of changed was the PSU for the unRAID rig....

you need +12V Single RAIL.......

This ANtec Neo Eco is recommended a lot for unraid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817371030

You did not do your homework correctly....

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=12219.0

Also I had tried CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 it crapped out on me.....

I have neo eco's on two systems....

when ever you need help with setting it up.... let us know.....
The heatsink paste in my experience comes applied to the stock cooler. Not sure if that aftermarket cooler will have anything, you might need some.

I'm really liking the 300 case, just built a PC for someone and wen with the 300. Should hold a ton of drives! I turned the two top case fans around to blow in (current setup has issues with dust build up so this might help).

(2012-05-07, 18:19)Kirky99 Wrote: The heatsink paste in my experience comes applied to the stock cooler. Not sure if that aftermarket cooler will have anything, you might need some.

I'm really liking the 300 case, just built a PC for someone and wen with the 300. Should hold a ton of drives! I turned the two top case fans around to blow in (current setup has issues with dust build up so this might help).

Yup the Shuriken cooler and most coolers come with paste. No need to buy others.....

unless you need more (witch you wont) or are picky what paste .....

I use this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835186038
ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Cooling MX-4 Non-Electrical Conductive

But the stuff that comes with the SHURIKEN's its great! Smile and they give you way more the needed...... dont apply all of it Smile it will run down the sides into your cpu slot.... you just a nead a pea size in the center.... and with the pressure it spreads correctly all over the top of the CPU....
(2012-05-07, 18:08)Beer40oz Wrote: Sweet setup......

One thing I would of changed was the PSU for the unRAID rig....

you need +12V Single RAIL.......

This ANtec Neo Eco is recommended a lot for unraid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817371030

You did not do your homework correctly....

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=12219.0

Also I had tried CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 it crapped out on me.....

I have neo eco's on two systems....

when ever you need help with setting it up.... let us know.....

Wow, that's tough to hear, "you did not do your homework correctly",...but you're 100% right!
That power supply was the last thing I ordered and I rushed buying it.
I read that link and I'm still confused by the whole "single rail, multiple rail" issue.
I believe it's saying that a single rail, can split all the power,..while more that one rail already splits the power across multiple rails,..leaving you potentially power starvedHuh

At least I got the rest of the system right. Big Grin
I'll be returning that PSU as soon as it arrives (they've shipped it already).
I may just order the proper PSU for an unRaid later today.
you did not do your homework correctly ....

lol I am not trying to say anything bad about it Smile we all make mistakes.....

but yes.... get the neo eco..... and be worry free..... its the server and if it fails bye bye documents on less you have some other backups....

Smile

better to order now then to be sorry..... Smile

I want you to be HAPPY!!!!
(2012-05-07, 19:51)Beer40oz Wrote: you did not do your homework correctly ....

lol I am not trying to say anything bad about it Smile we all make mistakes.....

but yes.... get the neo eco..... and be worry free..... its the server and if it fails bye bye documents on less you have some other backups....

Smile

better to order now then to be sorry..... Smile

I want you to be HAPPY!!!!

No worries,..I didn't take it the wrong way.
I screwed up,..but I'm glad I asked for help!
I just ordered what you recommended:
Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

And when that wrongly ordered PSU comes, I won't even open the box, I'll just RMA that right back.
Seems that NewEgg has a pretty automated process for returns.

Cool.... yes that 520 Neo Eco has a lot of power plugs Smile

you might want to chat to Newegg..... tell them you did not open it so they wont charge you a 15% restock fee..... its always a try..... and that your ordered the right one! from them.....
(2012-05-07, 19:59)Beer40oz Wrote: Cool.... yes that 520 Neo Eco has a lot of power plugs Smile

you might want to chat to Newegg..... tell them you did not open it so they wont charge you a 15% restock fee..... its always a try..... and that your ordered the right one! from them.....

Thanks, I did chat with them and they will not charge a restocking fee.
In fact they said if I could refuse the package from UPS, the process is even smoother. No need to file a RMA.
Hard part is, UPS usually drops off packages and leaves right away.
It doesn't matter, one way or the other, it'll be resolved.

Wow, NewEgg is FAST! I ordered a PSU for my unRaid build on Saturday night,..and it arrived Monday late morning.
Too bad it's the first part to arrive in which I ordered the wrong one and have to return it.
Hopefully, that's the only thing that will go wrong with this order.

Shuriken, RAM, and unRaid case all shipped and on their way. Other parts still awaiting shipment.
Looking good. Excited to see another unraid build!
520 Neo Eco is FTW!!!
Received the case and the correct power supply (based and beer's suggestions) yesterday for my unRaid build.
The case is awesome! The fans are amazing,..can't wait to give them power and play with the speed settings.

Any suggestions on the case's fan speed settings? This'll be in an out-of-the-way area where noise is of no concern.
I have five SATA drives, but I'll only install three drives and start with the Free version of unRaid until I understand how it works.
Then I'll hose the system, install the other two drive and purchase the upgraded version of unRaid.

[Case]
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $44.99 (after discount and rebate applied)
[Power Supply]
Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Hope to install the motherboard (one I had laying around and I hope it boots via a USB stick), the ram, the video all tonight.
I should be able to power on and see if this baby passes its first test.

The other parts for my HTPC still haven't shipped,..but I'm glad, since I'd probably want to put that together first.

Stay Tuned!

• 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Completed my A6-Pack Build and an unRaid server (with pictures)2