my new Lenovo Q180 XBMC HTPC
Hi all,

I would like to share my first experience with my new media player/HTPC with you.
Note: I'm a typical computer heavy user, but not really a "nerd" or "computer hobbyists"
like most of you.
I'm coming from the Hifi-/High-End-/Homecinema hobby.

The idea was to replace my Xtreamer PRO. He plays really all kinds of formats,
may DTS Master and TrueHD audio output and was above all a decent picture,
but had the following weaknesses:
- In slow panning scenes in high definition film material there was stuttering slightly (always have been!)
- More and more disturbed me the more slowly becoming in the movie wall of the Xtreamer Jukebox, depends on the
number of films (there was more than 700 movies on it). This was at the end of the Xtreamer
performance and it often took longer to get the next movie Wall-sides have built up
- There was no way to load XBMC as an alternative into the PRO
- The maintenance of the movie Wall Jukebox GUI was despite a very complicated.

So I researched for weeks, what alternatives there are to now.
Condition: XBMC and audio output of DTS-HD Master and TRUE. Here you have to watch very carefully!
There are many devices that can read these formats, but then they give only a downmix out
in DTS, you can see directly on the HD AV Receiver instead display "DTS MSTR" only "DTS" or "DTS"
OR Dolby Digital instead TRUE HD.
There were in all the research very contradictory statements, also depends on the device version
from. Often it was not clear which version is currently available equipment and what the final features
are. The number of retailers surveyed are often not really experts or they hope bring the "old generation"
equipment to the people.

What I have excluded from the outset, I build an HTPC itself. For this I am missing a lot
know how doing so. On the other hand had set myself a budget limited to 300 €.
In consideration was also the new Ultra 2 Xtreamer. However, I am so far with Xtreamer
"finished", cause after 2 years lifetime the don't support with updates/frimware.
In addition, you can currently only buy the Ultra 2 from the Xtreamer Store delivered from
Hong Kong; no-go issue for me (shipping costs and so on).
There were several vendors, specify the DTS Master & Co. in its features. But if you ask
a little bit deeper: output only as downmix to DTS or Dolby Digital.

And then ... I'm become acquainted with "mad-max"...a "famous" XBMC nerd.
mad-max recommended the Lenovo Q180 for me
a) all the requirements technically met
b) fits in the budget and
c) quality/design

mad-max has me set up the Lenovo. I wanted to make sure that I get maximum
performance out of hole. Furthermore, it shoulld be ensured that DTS Master / TrueHD and remote functions
(Harmony One) works.

finally my first impressions / experiences:
- The device is a real eye-catcher design, high-quality workmanship and surprisingly small
- There are 4 USB ports alone rear and front another 2 (do even USB 3.0)!
- The concept of the boot and shutdown is getting used to for me. The Xtreamer
was ultimately served as a Blu ray player. Here we have to start first Windows 7 surface
must be controlled by mouse and open XBMC; not possible today to boot by Harmony One
- if XBMC first opened, it's on Blu-ray player control mode, normal control.
At best, you could start the Lenovo, it also my family can manage at home without my presence the device.
- I have the skin of mad-max installed, so I'm in the main menu "order" of my serveral
movie, audio files, e.g. concerts, documentaries, home video camera, HD demo trailer, etc.

IN OPERATION:
- My test equipment: Pioneer VSX-2021 AV Receiver, Panasonic HD projector PT-AE 4000, 7.1 sound system, etc.
Martin Logan electrostatic speakers, Sansui POWER AMP for front-electrostatic
- picture width of 4.30 meters with 21:9 material
- I've probably overdone it with the inititial-charge at the start: I loaded all files from my hard drives (Fanteq QB)
placed at once in the XBMC Lenovo. The movies played from the start, but the XBMC movie wall was going slow
.. the cover flow would no longer run as fast
leraning for the future!
- I spent a lot of time so that the image scaling /calibration of the Lenovo and XBMC terms, but now it's perfect
- Although I was absolutely satisfied (except for the camera pans) with the Xtreamer in terms of image, I noticed
directly with the Lenovo a better focus, better contrast and black levels and more intense colors.
The films are also panning the camera smoothly without any jerkiness.
- Although not really technically to explain: I myself have the impression that the sound details as well as the placement
of the surround effects has been again improved
- Due fast-charge of all the files I had problems initially with the Lenovo: XBMC freezed and to one or
Lenovo hung on and had to be completely rebooted. This is no more since yesterday the case.
Apparently the Lenovo needed (so the think of mad-max) a moment to cope the database.
- The movie wall cover flow is not running as quickly and smoothly as they would otherwise
as other solutions here ... BUT ... fully OK!
- The infrared sensor, which referred me to mad-max, has a very good reception performance: responding at all times "liquid".

CONCLUSION:
- full precision landing
- leaves nothing to be desired according to image and sound (on the contrary, see above!)
- exactly the solution that I wanted to reach
- very cost effective solution
- solution for pure end-users like me well suited
- If there would be a solution to boot/launch Lenovo + function start XBMC and "shut down" function
by remote control in the future: 100 points!

Many thanks to mad-max for his advice, configuration, and especially his patience!
Even though I'm Hifi-/Homecinema freak, I just noticed with this "project" my little
know how according to computer/HTPC matters.

best regards,
Blade[/size]
I'm still hesitating to buy it so thanks for your feedback!!!
Do you have the model with 4GO Ram with Normal hard drive?
Did you try 3D? in 1080p?
if have the model with the 2GB RAM...the hard drive within the Lenovo was already build in....

no...3D is one of my next projects...
but...premise was...that the Lenovo can handle 3D from hardware side
@Blade-
I'm glad to read about your happy ending.......

I brought it up in this thread "The Smallest Pre-built Windows 7 HTPC" last year.....and there are a lot of threads on it........
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
now I have 7-8 weeks experience working with the Lenovo Q180

on the one hand there are now nearly 1,000 movie files including concerts, documentaries,
making ofs and serial on it
on the other hand I have already seen many movies

I'm always critical, and "restless" and I'm always try to get the maximum

I've learned a lot during the last week.
Again: a HTPC is a device that you don't have only to unpack :Wink

From my point of view, there are a lot of friendly and helpful experts here
and in other places.
The communication is sometimes not really easy, cause, this is my
first HTPC or XBMC-System and the most of the "helpers" are
longtime experts. So sometimes it's hard for me, following all
the technical terms. One given answer causes mostly another
set of questions. Huh
BUT ... it works. Some of the issues I had, I had finally figure out on
your own by Google and try on error.
I have spent many many hours, on the 24P issue, that also
SD material has the same picture size as HD material...
the stuttering on first time and so on.
This case is solved since more one week.
The setting options for example are not comparible with e.g.a PS3.
.XBMC here is very "sensitive": the change of a setting on one
setting point can lead to surprising unwanted results, if you do not
make appropriate adjustments to other points.
In addition it's also hard, find the best working settings in
combination XBMC and the Catalyst Lenovo settings.
Only trial & error solved my problem.

The audio device problem now is also solved since some days.
There were two active audio devices, one too many:
the Realtek audio device. Since I've disabled the Realtek device, the
XBMC/Lenono runs without any failures.

I also use since 2 weeks already, the simple solution
that my Harmony One brings the Lenovo/XBMC into standby and back.
Since that time the HTPC/XBMC is family friendly Big Grin

Now is slowly more and more calm, and the Lenovo
makes his normal home theater job, like any other components.

The whole debate
- larger HTPC with much more power
- 4GB RAM 2GB anstantt (as I'm on)
for me personally not given, cause the Lenovo is used 90% of the job
in the home cinema.

I'm still waiting now on the one or other customized
skin and a new XBMC version, where the cache Mgt. is improved
for even smoother coverflow.

Conclusion: again the best solution for me after a lot more
practise/experience. And a very cheap solution then I think
about, that I have best picture, best sound a fantastic
workflow with XBMC for movies, pictures, TV series and
music.

Regards,
Blade
Great Blade! Enjoy the movies! Smile
(2012-06-15, 13:11)Bladerunner1962 Wrote: Conclusion: again the best solution for me after a lot more
practise/experience. And a very cheap solution then I think
about, that I have best picture, best sound a fantastic
workflow with XBMC for movies, pictures, TV series and
music.
Try Thor (DTS-HD master 7.1) on your HTPC, you'll smile.....Big Grin

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
yes, Thor, I have already for long time, at least 3 times seen... :-)
Bladerunner,

Have you had any problems with the bluray/cd drive? I'm trying to rip CDs and am getting errors. I can't even play a CD. The problem seems to be because the drive is on a USB channel and xbmc has a problem with usb drives.

here's the link to the discussion of the error.

http://goo.gl/O4j5F

@rcrh

I don't have the Lenovo Q180 version incl. a bluray/cd drive. So I can't answer your question. Sorry.
too bad. I mean, not too bad that you're not having problems, but too bad you can't help me out.

Thanks for the reply, though.
Hi will this remote work with it http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Y330-Y430...fresh=true
I need a small one. And will it be able to power on from sleep with ir only? Which ir receiver do you recommend?
I have just purchased the Q180 with no optical drive and DOS. I have had several issues with this unit all of which I have over come (HDMI audio being the biggest issue) which only leaves issues that I have with XBMC from Ubuntu repositories. I understand there are a few lib files missing from that version for various reasons but when adding the PPA to get perhaps a more reliable source for the files I keep getting SSL socket errors which I believe is down to my seriously poor internet conneciton at home so I know its not really and xbmc issue but just needed to vent!

I love xbmc, been using it for a couple of years but recently have been having a few issues which are really testing my hacking skills!
I've just purchased a Q180 and wanted to leave my feedback. I installed Frodo RC2 and instantly had an issue with hardware acceleration, as in it didn't work, but after a few hours and trawling through the logs, realised that the environment variable for the xvba driver was pointing to the wrong location. Anyway after a bit of testing, now with hardware acceleration working, i still have issues with video/audio play back stutter and tearing. I've also tried Eden and although hardware acceleration works out of the back, i still have the video/audio stuttering and tearing. I bought it to replace a foxconn NT330 (Atom + ION) which was flawless.
To me it works without problems. Which os are you using? I'm on linux and have tested all possible testing videos without problems (even those with birds). For tearing try sync option under video/playback.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369

I have also moded my Q180 so it is nearly silent. Problem with Q180 is that the users do not configure them right.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
my new Lenovo Q180 XBMC HTPC 1