HOW-TO play Nero AVC (H.264) in AVI
i just downloaded the danoon's mplayer from the 2nd page. here is it.
http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3009f...13h0vemm9v

file was dated 26-jun-05 if anyone have newer version, please share.
he-aac audio volume is soft compared to ac-3. to get he-aac audio volume on par with ac-3 audio, i recommend to change the output in the settings to +10db. changing this setting will not change the ac-3 output volume. Smile
what is your audio headroom set to? set it to 0db will help.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(jmarshall @ july 17 2005,10:57 Wrote:what is your audio headroom set to?  set it to 0db will help.
yes, 0db. he-aac audio (particularly multichannel) is very soft. on my computer it is also way softer than ac-3 audio. Smile
(stoneroses @ july 16 2005,21:16 Wrote:i just downloaded the danoon's mplayer from the 2nd page. here is it.
http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3009f...13h0vemm9v

file was dated 26-jun-05 if anyone have newer version, please share.
it's gone from that link mate...

you can always convert the h264 file to an ecoding format a little easier for the xbmc to handle Wink

[i used ffmpegx on mac os x, i'm sure their are tools aplently in the windoze world...i wouldn't know as i don't play in it anymore)

let's just hope only a few of the "bleeding-edge" crazy groups decide to jump on the h264 bandwagon. i expect that h264 support in a newer mplayer won't be happening 'til next year at best.
hi all, i've done lots of reading on this great forum (and on doom9) and i have come to understand why there is no support for nero avc... but thanks to the fantastic explications i found in this forum from the xbmc tech guys, certainly dday, i could make my xbmc play nero avc. i've searched for a guide which describes this procedure completely but i couldn't find it, so i made a guide in pdf form you guys can use... i hope you can use it, i've tried to explain everything as easy as possible, and as schematic as possible.

i have uploaded the guide to geocities but i don't know how long it will be available for free...

you can find the document at
http://www.geocities.com/s4m3y/xbmc.nero...t-same.pdf

do not thank me, thank the great guys from xbmc !!!

i hope this guide makes it very clear for everybody who likes to watch nero avc on their xbmc... be sure to read the warning section in the guide!!! because even though xbmc plays nero avc, there is a 'but' ... :p enjoy...
Lightbulb 
k here,

1st of all, just wanna thank u 4 the little neatty guide. :thumbsup:

i've just followed it and compiled the whole stuff... k no prob at all.

but it seems i can't play any h.264 encoded files with xbmc. tv screen shows its black face each fuc**** time i try.
sighh... despair and sorrow... No

so i was wondering : do i have to add some codecs in xbmc mplayer codec part ? or do i have to change something into codec.conf ? or else do i have 2 throw my damn' box through that damn'window ?

pleeze answer me cus i'm gettin nervous ....

br from tot'
did you encode your movies with nero, or with something else (like x264 or sorenson, etc...) i only tried to play movies encoded with nero digital. but i noticed in full dvd resolution (720x575) that the xbox's cpu power is way to weak... i had to downsample to a width of 592 pixels instead of 720 to be able to play it without any probs...
(same @ july 25 2005,20:37 Wrote:did you encode your movies with nero, or with something else (like x264 or sorenson, etc...) i only tried to play movies encoded with nero digital. but i noticed in full dvd resolution (720x575) that the xbox's cpu power is way to weak... i had to downsample to a width of 592 pixels instead of 720 to be able to play it without any probs...
thx 4 ur quick answer !

nope => i've just tried avi fansub of "full metal panic tsr" and some samples grabbed from this page.

no luck so far. :veryangry:

btw r u able to play some of those above mentionned samples ?

hope u'll find something to deal with my issue Image

br from tot'
i tried the examples you gave me, and ... nope, no go on my xbox either... so my guess is that maybe it is indeed h.264 quantisation but maybe the files use some other entropy coding than cabac or cavlc (if that's possible) anyways, nero digital works fine but those do not ... just don't know why
here's the results of some tests i did this morning with h.264 (encoded witn ffmpegx) on xbmc.

http://pub.abuserz.com/xbmc.h264/compare.html

none of my test videos skipped, but then, i was testing with 480x272 resolution videos.

all in all, i think even the lowest 459kbps is fine. you loose some details, like the dirt relief on the 1st test picture, but eh... who really see those when watching an action movie!

next, i'll encode a 24 dvd i got.
a 720x480 h.264 encoded file at 1517kbps (2-pass encode, no cabal, no deblocking) with ac3 audio (passthrough), 438mb for 42mins file, skips a lot in xbmc. i encoded episode 1 of season 1 of 24, and i see a lot of dropped frames on xbox.

*edit: 720x480 at 1000kbps, 310mb for 42 mins file, also drops a lot of frames.

640x432 at 1000kbps drops less frames (3-4 times less frames dropped). the file is the same size as the previous one, but i guess having a smaller resolution with the same bitrate is easier to decode in h.264...

trying to encode at 624x418 and 900kbps right now.
hello

seems that very recent xbmc builds (03/08/05) are able to play h264 fine. thanks to the use of a cvs version of mplayer (new ffmeg) :d
Thumbs Up 
well spotted!
rabomil- those were some nice posts on usenet- please post more if you've got more-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO play Nero AVC (H.264) in AVI0