Mixed content
Sad 
Hi!

I'm a rookie with xbmc and I have a bit of a problem with these menus that insists on only showing one type of content at a time.

E.g., when I am in Music menu I can't see my music videos. Why? Isn't that a logical thing to wanna do under "Music"?
In my world it's logical to group all content from a certain group/band/musical in one place.

So does anyone know if there's any way to see videos while in the Music menu, just like you can watch videos from the Pictures menu?

Perhaps I can just add one source in the system menu (like /home/shared) and just ignore the content type menus (Videos Music Pictures)?
I just want to browse around and click and dont want the system to filter out which content I can watch in different menus.

/Goran
Simple and short....no (afaik)

A bit more explanation....

You have to understand (and accept) how kodi works. Music is for music files only. Not for videos. So this is meant, music have to be mp3, flac, wav etc...

Video is for video files...mkv,avi, ts and so on

There is an option for music videos seperately but you have to set this in your sources and it cant be done, that you can add your music videos to your music library because there are different scrapers which works for this and different players that are taken.

So what you want might be done...but you have to create your own skin and program things like the way you want them to. Every skin is built for having seperate sections for music, videos and music videos. The only thing, that I know of is, that you are able to add your music videos to your movie library be creating own nfo files.

Greetings
Thanks for your reply!

Like I said, I am old school, and all these bells and whistles that scraping and content libraries offer is of small interest to me.
I just want to browse around in nfs sources like in a file manager and click any file to view/listen to it.

You see, I have a separate movie database on my linux box where I have the descriptions and rating of all my content.
I don't want to build a dependancy on any one media player's content library, since I have several mediaplayers:
Playstation/Dune Smart/Minix. So one content database + a well structured file tree works well for me.

Well, because, I anticipated the answer "no", I actually went ahead and moved the music video files to the part of the file tree added as source to "Videos".
But I still think these Playstation-type of menus are inflexible. Why can't you have both a normal file browser that can see everything, and these content type menus?

That is certainly not your fault of course. But is there some place here, where you can Post request for changes?
Just an option in the Music menu setting that says "File listing/Show video files (yes/no)?" whould do it for me.

/Goran

/Goran
Well if you don't want to scrape and have the XBMC bells and whistles, whay are you uing XBMC?

Scraping and metadata are really one of the main strong points about XBMC. Without them you may as well just cruise round in a file browser.

But of course XBMC does have files mode, it just ain't as nice as when you have metadata.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Because I wanted a really small form factor media player, like Minix.

And on Minix, using XBMC is the only way I know of tho get access to NFS shares....

See? :-)
File mode then.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi!

Well, like I said, I am not completely obstinate, so I went ahead and moved the video files in the directory tree so that they will be accessible under the sources I have added for videos.
It was a quicker work-around then waiting around for xbmc to change into what I want it to be. :-)

I'lll survive, but I am trying to figure out how to avoid xbmc mangling my file names after setting content and scanning internet for info.
Can I tell it not to touch my names?

/Goran
For I suppose historical reasons, Kodi has a "video" database and a "music" database. In many ways there is a wall between the two.

To some extent, "music video" (which is treated as a flavor of video) is integrated with the music library. Mainly through the "artist" name but also partly through the "album" name. There is a theory or usage problem, as for some users a music video file represents a single song, while for others a music video is a concert that includes numerous songs. So in some cases treating the file like a song is appropriate, for others like a movie. There has been a suggestion that something like a CUE sheet for concert-style music video files (that would provide time offsets for specific songs within the file and metadata for the songs) would help bridge the gap.

Note that in the settings menu for both video and music there are options for file lists on how files are listed. Also you can have many sources, so shouldn't have to move directories around, as long as there is a root folder of some sort for music video - containing folders you can add that root as a source with content music video.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
The reason I thought I had to move them was that I have started using multiple NFS shares, and I dont think you can add sources in different menus sources from overlapping nfs shares, so to speak. Now I have added these sources as NFS:

/home/shared/media/pictures/
/home/shared/media/music-video
/home/shared/media/music-audio
/home/shared/media/misc
/home/shared/media/movies

I wish I could just "/home/shared/media" as one system-wide source, like I can on my Dune player, and then just browse into, and refer to subdirectories with bookmarks or whatever. Also, I don't seem to be able to add the same or overlapping nfs sources in different menus, because my poor little Minix x6 tends to go into deep freeze if I do.

In short, do I have to go ahead and add sources separately for every type of content? Or am I missing something here? :-)

/Goran

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mixed content0