Off the shelf HTPC wanted, advice sought!
Hi All,

I've been a Boxee Box user for the last several years, and want to upgrade to XBMC 12.1 and an off the shelf HTPC.

I don't want / need a DVD player of any type. I want to stream all types of movie/tv content up to full resolutions smoothly, but don't care about Hulu, Netflix, etc. I just want a great streamer for local content. I'd like to have a built in HD, as my NAS isn't so fast (Drobo FS). I'd prefer to run a fully optimized OS (Linux?).

So I've been reading about the Zotac ZBox, Acer VN282G, and the Asus EEEBox. Are those good choices for me? Does one platform allow an EASY installation of the OS / XBMC with full driver integration? Sorry, I'm sorta technical, but don't want to be perpetually hacking / tweaking.

ALL ADVICE IS HUGELY APPRECIATED!

- Thanx!
- Jon
check out the thread about the Intel NUC as well.
I'd recommend looking into the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P.
(2013-03-19, 19:28)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I'd recommend looking into the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P.

DaveNinja -> Looked at the NUC - looks like I'd be in for a lot of hacking / tweaking.

Hey GortWillSaveUs - > thanks - that looks interesting. Do you use Windows 7 with XBMC? Any complaints? Looks like the latest model of Acer's RL line is the RL70-UR308 - is that better?

- Jon
Or this "Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 Desktop (Silver)"...it's should be ready for Frodo out of the box...
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-03-19, 19:45)jbauer Wrote:
(2013-03-19, 19:28)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I'd recommend looking into the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P.

DaveNinja -> Looked at the NUC - looks like I'd be in for a lot of hacking / tweaking.

Hey GortWillSaveUs - > thanks - that looks interesting. Do you use Windows 7 with XBMC? Any complaints? Looks like the latest model of Acer's RL line is the RL70-UR308 - is that better?

- Jon

That's actually why I chose it was because it comes with Windows 7 pre-installed.
I set this up with XBMC with no issues for a bunch of friends that wanted the same things you describe.
I will avoid Windows 8 at all costs! So the UR308 is out for me and my friends.
Hopefully Microsoft gets their act together on the next release.
I'm looking for the same thing.

Also, needs to bitstream or supprt DTS HD etc.

And I prefer running Linux Smile
(2013-03-19, 21:29)Pasoa2021 Wrote: Also, needs to bitstream or supprt DTS HD etc.
You should be able to bitstream DTS-HD with Q190 in post #5. You should be able to bitstream DTS-HD and everything else with the included Windows 8. If you don't like Windows 8, you can convert it to Linux later....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Off the shelf HTPC wanted, advice sought!0