Path substitution for SMB/AFP file shares
Hi,

Problem summary: I would like to move from a pure SMB sharing environment to a mixed AFP/SMB environment, while preserving my central MySQL DB.

Perhaps best to start with a small note on my setup:

- File/MySQL sever (Ubuntu 12.04), sharing all media via SMB, MySQL library and Thumbnails (via SMB path substitution)
- Windows & XBMC Live v11 clients, running wired or wirelessly
- Since yesterday (and reason for this post) an ATV 2, running wirelessly

Unfortunately I can't run a cabled connection to the ATV at the moment, it was bought in preparation for a move we're planning next month.

Since setting up the ATV, on the whole everything has worked fine, however at some times I do experience slow browsing and stuttering audio or buffering video. While investigating, I came across the optimisation section on the Wiki, where one of the suggestions was running AFP instead of SMB to share the media files. However as I have a central MySQL db, I had also read that this would wreak havoc on the central DB due to different file path structures etc.

Is that right? Or would it work if I had the same root for both the SMB shares and the AFP shares (e.g. afp://path/to/episodes and smb://path/to/episodes)? If not, I read that path substitution could prevent the issue, but I'm unsure of how exactly? Would that mean remapping the shares on both the SMB and the AFP clients so that they both have the shares substituted to be somewhere under their working directory or something? I saw the example on the Wiki but unfortunately don't quite understand it.

Thank you so much for any help you could give.
Don't go for AFP - go for NFS when you have an UBUNTU server!

Beside that the right path substitution should take care of your old db entrys.

AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Path substitution for SMB/AFP file shares0