only show video files in video-> files view
Hi. I tried searching the forums because I thought this would be answered, but is there a simple way to filter the file browsing in video to only show video files. I'm seeing zip files, .exe, etc... Doesn't make sense to display these.

It would also be excellent if instead of showing folders, it would could flatten it out. I know there's an option for this for tv series but not specifically for this.

This is so I can see downloaded files prior to moving them to their permanent location and/or don't need TV/Movie info.

Really loving xmbc btw. Just switched from media portal and I don't think i'll be going back.
Welcome to the forums.

Your first question is a bit unclear, so please forgive me for misinterpreting. The XBMC interface doesn't show anything but media content and does filter extraneous material from the listings... but perhaps you're talking about the actual file manager? (which of course shows folder contents)?

You can have all your media in separate folders (recommended) or all together in one folder.. you add content, and XBMC tries to make sense of all of it, picking up meta data etc and then displaying it in many different views.. including a flat 'list' view. It sounds like you have a temp folder in which you place new content and need to massage them before you decide to store them off in your database? XBMC is more of a media center and player and give the chance will make your collection sparkle.

Here's a few guides links that might help out.

http://lifehacker.com/5900626/create-a-k...lete-guide
http://lifehacker.com/5536963/the-ultima...dia-center
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...tart_Guide

The wiki's accessible from the top of the web page are fairly comprehensive.

Hi and thanks for the reply. Sorry I'm new and might not be using the terminology correctly. Let me explain what I wish to achieve.

I have gotten the movies and tv shows from the respective directories to show up. What I'm looking for is adding my downloads folder which contains all sorts of random files. Sometimes the files are in /downloads, other times they are in /downloads/folder/... but in addition to videos it has anything else I downloaded.

When I go to videos, and then files, it shows me every file in /downloads. I don't think it should show executables, zip files, txt files, etc... only a video (or music file if browsed via music). Can it be configured to filter non-playable files?

Does that make what I'm trying to do more clear? Thanks for the links I plan to read through and tweak xmbc but for now I'm enjoying the fact I had to do very little tweaking to get this working. This would just be a cherry on top and it's really not too difficult to skip past the files for the time being.
If you go to Videos->Files it will show .zip files but won't show .exe or .txt files.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ah you're correct. And it treats archive files like folders. Brilliant! I guess I got confused because I have so many things in there right now.

It would still be great to filter out folders ot archives that do not contain playable files. I understand recusing through a huge set of folders to filter wouldn't be efficient but in my case I'd endure that cost for eliminating all the noise.

Xmbc is killing it. Thanks for the awesome application.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
only show video files in video-> files view0