Can I stream media to my friends XBMC over the internet?
Question 
aight, i want to know how to stream media that i have shared on my network to be streamed over to my friends xbox. so if i am streaming a song to my xbox, how would i have my friend also access that same song? please help and to anyone that does i will send you a free xbox live trial subscription. thanks in advance.
you need to provide much more information before anyone will be able to help you, please read/follow our faq
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
right now i have a softmodded xbox with xbox media center, and am using relax to stream videos and other media to my xbox. i havea wireless router and use it to connect to my xbox. i want to know a way that my friend, from his house, can also stream my files from my computer.
so what have you tried? how far away is your friend's house.

if they are close you might be able to use the wireless ap, or um, a long cable, or it might be possible to access your shared files from relax - never heard of that being done though.
relax (and the xns-protocol) is officialy no longer supported, use smb or xbmsp/ccxstream instead, ...oh, and still think you provided way too little information!
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
(armageden @ june 28 2005,10:44 Wrote:aight, i want to know how to stream media that i have shared on my network to be streamed over to my friends xbox.  so if i am streaming a song to my xbox, how would i have my friend also access that same song? please help and to anyone that does i will send you a free xbox live trial subscription. thanks in advance.
i still don't know what you want to do. do you want to have the same file visible on two xboxen? do you want one xbox to control another? are you and your friend on the same network? if not, are there routers? what brands?
it sounds like your friends xbox is not in the same house, so you need to be able to set up some sort of remote share.
you could set up a vpn between both of your houses, depending on your router it could do it or you will need to use windows xp (built in function) and forward ports on you router.
you could open your router to let netbios ports through but i strongley advise against this.

here are a few links you might want to read
howstuff works
microsoft
I'd like to share my meida with my friend, 40 miles away, also. I was thinking of using a linksys router with upgraded firmware.

Does anyone have a favorite model?
Or even a simpler way?
Way to dig out a 2-year old thread! Anyway, I think to only way to stream over the internet to XBMC is via FTP, see the manual.
You want to share your media with a friend 40 miles away?

Emmmmm....... Is this just MP3 files and some photos, or are you talking about movies too?

If you are3 talking movies, I suggest getting a leased line between both houses. This will be quite expensive, but if you get a fast enough connection, he should be able to stream off your PC. Be aware that this is very very expensive.

Alternatively, you could set up an ftp share, and your friend could download what he wants when he wants it. Depending on your broadband connections, this can be tedious and slow.

Thirdly, tell him to purchase an external hard drive - 500GB drives can be got for €100 these days - and come over and copy everything on to it, then you could post him weekly updates on DVD.....

Thats just my thoughts. Obviously anything you share, you obviously have the legal right to do so......

mj
That last line should read...

Obviously anything you share, you must obviously have the legal right to do so......
leased-lines?, please, here in Sweden (and many other european countries) we have 10Mb, 30Mb and 100Mb internet connections as standard today.

Even on 'slow' ADSL subscriptions you have 1Mb-12Mb upload bandwidth depending where you live.
Copying media isn't the issue.
My friend Joe is a bit slow on getting into new tech. I've had to drag him, kicking and screaming, into the 21 century. It took me three years to talk him into broadband from AOL. (Which now he loves) I just gave him an Xbox and installed a 200GB HD and XBMC. (Which now he loves) Right now he is under the impression that 200Gig is more room than he could ever fill with music and video. So talking him into running a file server in his home is a bit far off. If he did have a file server I start an FTP and send him the files. But that is not the goal.

The goal is to run UPnP or SMB through a VPN. I'd like him to be able to browse my file server without downloading the whole thing. I've looked around and I can't find any info about whether UPnP will work through a VPN or not. I know I can have shares open but I don’t know if XBMC will see them.

Normally I would do some testing to figure out the best way to set this up. But I don’t have a way of accessing another Xbox across the internet. (Without driving 40 miles each time) So the question is: Has anyone out there been able to bridge two LAN’s and had the Xboxes see each other?
Gamester17 Wrote:Way to dig out a 2-year old thread! Anyway, I think to only way to stream over the internet to XBMC is via FTP, see the manual.

I was looking pretty hard for an answer! ha ha ha

FTP isn't designed for streaming though. Would it even work that way? That would be easy if it did.
earthtorob Wrote:FTP isn't designed for streaming though.
True, and normaly I would not recommend it but over the internet it is probably the best choise, thought you might want to try XBMS as well to compare (XBMS is also a routable protocol).

earthtorob Wrote:Would it even work that way?
Yes, XBMC does support streaming from FTP, (no need for VPN even, just open the out-port on your firewall/router).
http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph....29_Client
http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph...ia_Sources

SMB was not designed to work over the internet, and I doubt it preform well over VPN. UPnP should work fine over VPN, though I have no experince in using it over the internet (so not sure if you need VPN or if you could just open the needed ports).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I stream media to my friends XBMC over the internet?0