720p over wifi - ideas?
Okay so right now I'm in my flat and I can steam 1080p very easily, no interference over wifi.

Soo... I've over the year upgraded all my collection from 480p DVD rips to 720p rips.

This lies the problem.. I'm going back for summer for 3 months home and I need to setup everything there. Now, last year streaming 720p/1080p was very hard. So what shall I do this year?

The router here is a Skybroadband one. Back home I'm using a BT homehub. Are the two different? Sorry I can't provide more information but I'm not good with this kind of shit.

At home I need to supply: 1 iMaC which is just next to the room with the router, 1 PC which will be in the room with the router and 1 PC in the lounge which is downstairs.

has anyone discovered any good solutions? or is it best to just smash in 3 ethernet wires to the router? what if my router can only support 2? also has anyone got any nice wiring solutions, since the wire does need to go down the stairs etc. Thank you so much!
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
try using powerline.

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-XAVB5001-P...376&sr=8-5

i have used these in the past for customers and they are awesome!
wire will always be superior if you can route it, if you ran out of ports just get something like a 4-port dumb ethernet switch to get more ports.

Does your lounge downstairs have TV cable jack? I've tried powerline before and don't like the perf on my setup, currently I'm using moca to hookup my htpcs from upstairs and am pretty happy about it.
I agree with the Powerline solution.
I've talked with 3 people I work with and they all use it flawlessly.

Here's what they use and what I just ordered yesterday:
ZyXEL PLA401v3 HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Powerline Wall-plug Adapter (Starter Kit - 2 units)

The great thing is that you can purchase individual add-ons to expand the system if needed.
For me, I only need high throughput for my HTPC and my unRaid server.
All other computers work fine with wireless.
(2012-05-17, 20:48)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I agree with the Powerline solution.
I've talked with 3 people I work with and they all use it flawlessly.

Here's what they use and what I just ordered yesterday:
ZyXEL PLA401v3 HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Powerline Wall-plug Adapter (Starter Kit - 2 units)

The great thing is that you can purchase individual add-ons to expand the system if needed.
For me, I only need high throughput for my HTPC and my unRaid server.
All other computers work fine with wireless.

I personally have never worked with this brand. i do however have had someone use a off brand (might be the same one listed here) and they get full speed and love it.
Also it is cheaper here: http://www.pcrush.com/product/Power-line...it-2-units
Your Price
$65.93
(2012-05-17, 19:10)waver123 Wrote: wire will always be superior if you can route it, if you ran out of ports just get something like a 4-port dumb ethernet switch to get more ports.

Does your lounge downstairs have TV cable jack? I've tried powerline before and don't like the perf on my setup, currently I'm using moca to hookup my htpcs from upstairs and am pretty happy about it.

Never heard of moca before. just looked it up and seems interesting. How well does it work?
300mbps wifi router and 300mbps adapter.....I'm streaming 1080p just fine with this setup.
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
(2012-05-17, 21:54)Predator04 Wrote: Never heard of moca before. just looked it up and seems interesting. How well does it work?

You can read the smallnetbuilder article about it, it has some links inside for benchmarks as well.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/...s-coverage

Basically it uses unuse spectrum of your cable jack connections for networking. It's very reliable in my setup and seems very tolerant of noise.
MoCA is a good solution if you don't have cable TV (in the US at least). Cable techs are horrible about cutting lines to things if they don't know what they are. Coax is also really susceptible to interference if not terminated correctly.

I've yet to have a good experience with powerline equipment, unless you count being able to tap two of my neighbor's networks at will lol.

At the end of the day, you might find a shortcut that will work for your situation, but there is no better solution than running cat 6 end to end (except maybe fiber). It's dirt cheap and easy to run. If you don't want to fish around in the walls, an often overlooked solution is to run it down next to your heat and air vents. For bonus lazy points, get plenum rated for a few bucks more and run it inside the air vents.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720p over wifi - ideas?0