I found my new dream machine
(2013-09-27, 02:53)mushoss Wrote:
(2013-09-25, 17:57)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I've been building a few custom HTPCs for friends and family mainly because they wanted some specific parts used that I couldn't find in a pre-built.

HOWEVER,.....I had a friend that wanted me to configure his Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 as a HTPC running XBMC.

Man, am I glad he did,...!!! I love it,..and he loves it even more,...in fact he has since asked me to configure another 3 for his entire house.
I love the small form factor, the pre-installed OS, that it comes with a multi-media remote, and can be VESA mounted.
He wants to purchase another 3 as gifts. Yeah,..I like this guy,...just wish he'd adopt me. Wink
As for the price,..I actually find it extremely reasonable since there is no way I'd be able to build anything that small.
PLUS,...you're getting the OS, and a remote.

I have since purchased 2 for myself,...okay,..one is for the wife,...and the other is for my son who's in another state,....but I WILL get my own.

I'm hoping as the power draw for these devices drops,...the size shrinks, the price drops and the processing power multiples.
Actually I don't have to hope,...since the new CPUs coming out now, are doing just that.

So does that mean I've given up on building custom machines,....heck no,....but the Q190 is making my job easier,..and it's making me look like a genius.
and I can turn these around and get them in the customer's hands that much faster.

Sounds like your sold on this one. I took notice of your post as i have heard other good things about the Q190. What I like about it is it is a complete system. I was about sold on the i3 haswell that is coming out. But time you buy everything to make it work, it is pretty steep. My only questions is can this celeron run xbmc, netflix, 1080p flawlessly. I understand from my reading that the celeron cannot process 3d but the i3 can. What are the actual differences in the intel 2000 graphics vs the 4000. Do you think leveno will have the haswell soon.

Sorry for not responding earlier,..was away all weekend. However,...big shout out to those who stepped in and answered in my absence.
Hello Gort..

I currently have the Q-190 w/the C887... And I love it, EXCEPT for the SB macro issues with its graphics processing. So, I'm on my way to Fry's and grab a C1007 version IB.

My question is this... It seems there is a C1017 version as well. Have you researched the Bench reviews between these processors? It seems the only difference is the operating frequency between them(1.5Ghz vs. 1.6Ghz)...see HERE. The C1017 version is the one offered direct from Lenovo, both are around $350 currently.

Your thoughts please if I were to buy a third one(running W8, XBMC w/XBMC shell?
(2013-10-10, 20:45)CpTHOOK Wrote: Hello Gort..

I currently have the Q-190 w/the C887... And I love it, EXCEPT for the SB macro issues with its graphics processing. So, I'm on my way to Fry's and grab a C1007 version IB.

My question is this... It seems there is a C1017 version as well. Have you researched the Bench reviews between these processors? It seems the only difference is the operating frequency between them(1.5Ghz vs. 1.6Ghz)...see HERE. The C1017 version is the one offered direct from Lenovo, both are around $350 currently.

Your thoughts please if I were to buy a third one(running W8, XBMC w/XBMC shell?

Isn't the one from lenovo cheaper? Currently you could buy 1017u Q190 for $279+tax using visa card.
(2013-10-10, 20:45)CpTHOOK Wrote: Hello Gort..

Sorry Capt. I don't have those side-by-side benchmarks,...but,..IMHO,.....using today's CPUs a .1GHz difference is practically imperceptable.
Thanks anyway Gort!Wink

@milli... Yes Lenovo does have the C1017 version for around that price W/the 500GB HD.. The 1TB HD version is a bit more expensive. I should have been more clear, sorry bout that.
Has anybody got a boxee rf remote to work with them?
NUC I3 Haswell with external 4TB HD, Windows 8.1
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Lenovo N5902 remote keyboard/mouse
(2013-10-11, 00:34)mushoss Wrote: Has anybody got a boxee rf remote to work with them?

Bumping to see if anyone has a response to your question.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I found my new dream machine1