AppleTV2 - "One or more files failed to play" SMB Share
XBMC (11.0 Git:20120331-ebfd899), Built on Apr 1 2012
Platform: Darwin iOS (11.0.0 AppleTV2,1, Version 5.1.1 (Build 9B830))
iOS 5.1.1

Log File: http://pastebin.com/w6XjWnt7

My desktop recently lost its motherboard and as a result I built a new computer. Since I had to reset my media shares for the new computer I decided it would also be a good time to update the OS and XBMC installs on my AppleTV2. I had no issues on my old desktop but am having some strange problems now.

My media is located on an External HDD plugged into my Windows 7 desktop via USB and shared via SMB.

XBMC is able to access this share without problems (using IP address). When I try to access files, some of them play (but it takes a long time for them to start) but some of them do not. So far I've been able to successfully play some AVI and MKV files, and have not been able to play some other AVI files and MP4 files.

Steps to generate log file/error:
1) Open XBMC
2) Access share via Videos --> Files
3) Load first video which works (135 MB MKV file)
4) Try to load second video (370 MB MP4 file)
5) Receive error "Playback failed: One or more files failed to play"
6) Exit menus and XBMC

It feels like it may be an issue with the access speed of the USB drive. Even the files that do work have unusually slow buffering issues (that I did not have before) and it often will take 30 seconds to a minute to move from one level of the drive to another (TV Shows --> Rookie Blue for instance). During this time the screen freezes and doesn't even update the debug info in the upper left (FPS, CPU %, etc.)

I know I had issues in the past with inconsistent SMB access. Before I found the final fix (windows registry issue) I took a number of steps and I seem to recall some of them having to do with the USB system settings. I cannot remember what these steps were and I've tried to find similar issues on the forums.
I am having essentially the same problem. I also recently replaced my motherboard. The difference between my setup and yours is that all of my media is on a internal hard drive. Not running over USB

All of the files I am currently trying had worked perfectly with the previous version of the ATV IOS.

Also, the files that I can get to play take a really long time to start, play only a few seconds, start to buffer, and then crash back to the XBMC menu screen.

Here are the things I have tried done so far to try to diagnose this.
1. Tried to run videos off of a share on a different computer. Those actually worked.
2. Disabled windows firewall on the media pc, and opened up all of the permissions on the share. No change
3. Installed XBMC on another PC, and tried to access the problematic share. No issues when I did this.

I wish I could understand why an instance of XBMC on a computer works fine, but on the ATV it fails.
try using IP instead of name for your smb connection, but really if you only use your appleTV for XBMC, downgrade to iOS 4.3 if you still can
After hours of troubleshooting I've fixed my problem. Try this on your window machine:

In the Network Adapter Advanced Settings find the following settings and change them to "Disabled"
IPv4 Checksum Offload
Large Send Offload (IPv4)

That seemed to do the trick for me.
Ok. So I tried those settings you suggested, and my videos played fine on the ATV.

However, the internet on the PC that has the new settings just came to a halt. Pages took forever to load, if they would load at all. I also would get a blue screen when I reset. So I reverted the settings.
The ATV went back to not working, but my PC worked again.

Your idea, plus the fact that I was getting a bsod, inspired me and I checked out the driver that was running my NIC. I have a realtek rtl8111e, and the driver for it was dated for early last year. I found there was an update on the realtek site. I downloaded it, installed it, and everything started working! All of the videos play fine, and the PC had normal internet function.

TL;DR If you are still having problems, make sure you have the most up-to-date driver on your network adapter.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the help!
I hadn't really noticed I was having issues as I hadn't really used that computer since I changed the settings.

Sure enough, I was also having issues that went away with a driver update (I swear I had checked for an updated driver a long time ago). Oh well, at least it works now.

Thanks for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV2 - "One or more files failed to play" SMB Share0