Intel D2700DC and Various Linux Tests
Ok, this is just a post for the benefit of users looking for support of the Intel D2700DC Motherboard, Cedar Trail chipset, GMA3650 , gma500. I thought this MIGHT be worth it even if a CrystalHD card were required

In the last week I have tested NUMEROUS linux distros that all claim some level of support for this chipset, with the intention of testing XBMC on this chipset.

The ONLY distro that even seemed to boot without further tweaks was Mageia 2 RC. However upon installing XBMC it simply hangs

Meego 1.2 for netbooks (Cedar Trail) would not output video

I tested many versions and variants of the Ubuntu Family; 10.10, 11.x and 12.x , ubuntu and xubuntu and none seemed to offer any working solution at present. In fact it has also led me to believe that ubuntu is taking a bad turn in the development . No surprise why Linux Mint is having success.

Fedora Core 17 remains untested and if anyone has tested please post results.

Likewise if anyone has had any experience good or bad running XBMC on Linux with Cedar Trail please post your results
Please read this article:
http://www.linuxtech.net/reviews/intel_D..._draw.html

Towards the end it explains some workarounds required to get various Linux distros (including Meego) working properly. A recent kernel (at least 3.3.0) is essential.

This thread (read it all!) contains even more info:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vie...28&t=63959
It was not my intention to open the flood gates to Hearsay on Blogs and Forums. I have seen most of that already after the last several weeks. I am looking more to first hand experience and more directly when relating to XBMC.

I know there is lots of stuff on blogs and forums that is outdated a day after it is written or was never accurate in the first place. Not looking for additional frustration
Suit yourself, as far as I can see the Linuxtech article has been written based on first hand experience and the SPCR forum thread contains posts by several people with first hand experience, too.

Personally I have a DN2800MT and it works reasonably fine with Mageia 2 and with Meego using the workarounds from the Linuxtech article. I don't use it with XBMC though.
I have seen numerous posts where someone CLAIMS something that is not so about these systems. In one case it was a long thread about how to make it work and later the poster admits he does not have one.

I must also ask why you yourself as an XBMC user and forum poster has not tested XBMC if you own one. That looks a little odd to me.
(2012-05-23, 17:28)tekno Wrote: I must also ask why you yourself as an XBMC user and forum poster has not tested XBMC if you own one. That looks a little odd to me.

Because I already have a HTPC (Atom+ION based)! Why should I test XBMC on every piece of hardware I own?

My DN2800MT is used as a server, I have no need to run XBMC on it and frankly I don't think it's suited for XBMC with Linux as there is no hardware accelerated video decoding in the very basic Linux kernel DRM drivers for it (with Windows 7 it's probably ok, as there are decent 1080p capable graphics drivers for it).

Frankly I don't get it why you want to use the Intel D2700DC for a HTPC when there are lots of better suited boards for XBMC. Even a AMD Fusion (E350 / E450) board is far better suited for XBMC with Linux than the Cedarview Atoms.
Actually, my first hand experience with it for Windows has not been good. The UI feels slower than the previous generation Atom and Netflix HD still does not work. As of six weeks ago, when I did my initial testing anyway, this was my experience. 1080p video was however just fine -- the only thing that was fine.
Dougie Fresh,

That is interesting thanks for the input. It is way better than another post from someone who has never really tested it!
Dougie Fresh

I just did a Win 7 Ultimate Install With XBMC Eden 11.0, and 2 Gig of RAM . I did not find it to be slow at all. I can see that hardware is decoding h264 and even on some of the HD DIVX/XVIDs that do not decode in hardware I have never seen the CPU use as displayed in XBMC during playback go over 30%. Not sluggish at all on win 7 Ultimate. I ran it playing a DVD file for hours and the fannless case remained cooler that any ITX system so far.

I just wish I could get this on Linux!

maybe the difference btween your and my tests on win 7 is that I updated the BIOS firmware on the mobo?
I am pretty sure I updated the BIOS. It's possible over the past 2 months the video drivers have improved. The "not smooth"-ness I noticed was just in min/max-ing windows and navigating WMC menus. It's something I didn't see with the D525MW. I did not test XBMC. I have to rebuild and retest this system soon so I'll run it through its paces again. IIRC, the setup was:

120W DC/60W AC power supply
64GB Kingston V100 SSD
4GB DDR-800 SO-DIMM
Windows 7 x86 Home Premium

I had it attached to a Panasonic 50" plasma.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel D2700DC and Various Linux Tests1