Missing episode thumbnails after update from Eden to Nightly
I’m trying to move from Eden stable to a nightly build for x264 10bit support and AudioEngine. Updated to 20120515-2687fac and most recently to 20120523-9f2a548 but I have some problems with the library. While using Eden all TV Shows had a unique thumbnail for each episode, and with the nightly about 95% of them have the series poster instead of the thumb.

Eden:
http://oi45.tinypic.com/91ezvd.jpg

Nightly:
http://i49.tinypic.com/112eb1j.jpg

Only those with a episodename.tbn are the 5% working, all thumbs not extracted from the file but from the scrapper (AniDB.net). I thought the solution might be to export the library to single files from Eden, but only exports scrapper generated thumbs and ignores the rest.

Tried a fresh install removing AppData\Roaming\XBMC\ with the same results. The “Extract thumbnails and video information” setting is on but makes no difference turned off.

Also, exporting the library with nightly doesn’t work, the dialog appears briefly and no error is shown on screen or the debug log:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2913

All this in my HTPC, using Win7 64bits. Oddly enough, in my secondary machine with XP the thumbnails work fine, using the same build, skin, settings and scrapper.
Did more tests today. Moved the working XP profile to the Win7 machine... not working. Removed Program Files (x86)\XBMC and AppData\Roaming\XBMC, and did a new install with just one one show and one episode, not working. Run as admin, as Windows XP... nothing. Why XBMC doesn't want to extract thumbnails in my computer?

I see nothing in the debug logs, no errors, no warnings. I don't know what else to try.

Windows 7 Pro 64b SP1, i5-2400, 8Gb DDR3, Ati 6670 Catalyst 12.4, HDMI for audio and video.

Please help.
You need to do a Debug Log while actually browsing your media.

My bet is the episodes art URLs are either invalid or don't download from aniDB.net for whatever reason.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the reply. Here's the log:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2961

Clean install, added AniDB.net scrapper, added source, no episode thumbnails. For this series AniDB.net does not have episode thumbs, so Eden just extracted from the file. Now the series poster is placed instead.
Check your art table in the video database against the episode table (for the id from the episode title for example). What is present?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I have little knowledge of SQL, but using SQLspy on MyVideos64.db shows on the art table that the url for the episodes is C:\test\Keroro Gunso\folder.jpg. I've done some more tests, now on the XP computer. If folder.jpg is present in the folder, it's used as episode thumbnail. If missing, the thumb is extracted from the video and the url is blank. Looks like I was wrong, it's not a Win7 issue. Damn my bad testing methods!
That's odd. The episodes aren't folders, so should not be using folder.jpg. What are the filenames of the episodes and what is your basic folder layout for these?

They're very simple, c:\test\Keroro Gunso\Keroro Gunso Ep157.mkv. Everything is c:\test\*seriesname*\*seriesname* EpXXX.mkv. "c:\test" is used now, it was "c:\anime" previously, but made no difference.

All this only happens when the scrapper doesn't download the episode thumb and folder.jpg is present. I've also noticed that exporting the library stops if one of this series is in the library.
I think this can be reproduced.

Install AniDB.net scrapper.
Create folder named "Goldfish Warning" (a series with no episode thumbs in thetvdb.com), put a video inside and rename to Goldfish Warning Ep01.mkv
Update library, episode thumb works, export library to individual files (works too).

Now you have a folder.jpg inside. Add a second episode (Goldfish Warning Ep02.mkv for example), and folder.jpg will be its thumb. First episode is still ok. Remove show from library, update library. Now all episodes have folder.jpg as the thumb. Try to export the library, now it doesn't work.

Remove everything, do the test with another series, for example "Uchuu Kyoudai", that has episode thumbs in thetvdb.com. Everything works, thumbs are correct (scrapped from thetvdb.com), you can export the library, folder.jpg is there but makes no harm...

Now, if you put a series without scrappable thumbs (entire series like Goldfish Warning or some episodes of Keroro Gunso or some new episode without thumbs in thetvdb.com yet) and have a folder.jpg... you're screwed.

I hope this is useful to troubleshoot.
Not quite correct (number of episodes doesn't matter, and the export library issue is unrelated), but nice troubleshooting nonetheless.

The problem has been identified, and I have 2 commits queued up to fix it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Great! Thank you!
Changes are in mainline now.

Works just fine. Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Missing episode thumbnails after update from Eden to Nightly0