NMEDIAPC 5000B Motherboard Standoffs?
Hi,

Does anyone have a NMEDIAPC model HTPC-5000B case? If so, is it okay if you do [b]not[/b[ add standoffs for the motherboard? Standoffs didn't come with the case and there is no mention in the manual, but everywhere I read it mentions the importance of adding standoffs and not screwing directly to the case. I'm looking at the back of the case and it seems the back of the board won't go out if it's higher. So I'm confused what to do in regards to standoffs. Could someone kindly advise.

I need to take out the board anyway, seems I screwed up and didn't put the I/O shield first. I think every time I build a PC I screw up that step.
I have the NMEDIAPC 7000b case and it comes with the standoffs in place already, I believe the 5000b uses the same concept, you should see the threads where the screws go in if you look closely.
Thanks for the reply. Yes it has some gray things attached but they are short and doesn't rise the motherboard that much, are those still considered standoffs?

When I built my PC it came with much taller gold standoffs that I screwed in.
Yes those gray things are the standoffs, alot of mini itx cases are like this also...First time I saw cases like that, I got paranoid, but your good James.
Ah ok, thanks for the help! Yep my first micro build and don't want to fry anything. Smile
Happy Building...there's alot of info and people willing to help out on these forums, take your time and post any questions or concerns.
I pretty much got it and almost done, I'm just having a big problem with the bluray drive. I'm not sure how to attach it to the case's "optical bracket". The manual says to lock it to position A, I see a "A" on the bottom but when I screw the drive in that position it sticks out too much in the front. When I put the drive all the way back, I don't see any holes to attach to the bracket and I don't think I'm supposed to leave it loose. I emailed the company last night they haven't responded back. Maybe I bought an incorrect type of drive but I think there is only one size anyway. I'll try again tomorrow.

So far I'm not loving this brand. I also realized you gotta purchase the LCD display as an accessory, I thought they didn't include it in the box.
Sorry to hear your having problems James. Could you possibly upload a pic of your optical bracket with the drive your having problems with. Did you remove the optical bracket to install the drive or is the optical bracket not removable, most dvd and bluray drives have multiple holes atleast four for this reason. As far as the LCD, dont worry about it, it's junk....trust me. It's better without it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msPFDFzaa6Y
It's sticks out when you have it in the bracket but when you put the bracket back does it still stick out of the case.
Thanks for the excellent find, that was very kind of you, the video was extremely useful. After reviewing it several times and more head scratching, I figured out the reason for all my trouble. The left side of the optical bracket was slightly crooked and it was preventing the drive to slide back, so I took a hammer carefully adjusted it and then it went through fine and was able to secure the drive.

Case-wise everything seems to be in order now. But I turned on the PC and it showed a cpu fan error, I opened the case and saw that the fan isn't spinning, there are no obstructions, I gently rocked the fan and it started up but it's making a loud noise so obviously there is some defect. This is the fan with the Intel 2100 CPU, so I guess I'll have to try to get the retailer to exchange the fan if that's even possible or buy an aftermarket one.

I do have one question however. Am I supposed to connect the HTPC with a VGA cable or HDMI? My TV has a VGA port (no DVI) but I don't have a cable to try, I connected a HDMI cable from the TV to the motherboard and the boot up screen is cut off on the sides. I loaded up a portable OS and it was the same thing. Googling shows people do connect with HDMI so I'm not sure why I'm having this trouble.

Appreciate your time and help, thanks again.
No prob, James...Glad the video helped. As far as the Heatsink fan, do not run your pc without it working...I cannot stress that enough. You will fry the cpu like that. Mr James I would maybe backtrack a lil bit and review the steps you used to install the heatsink, I know it's just push pins but maybe it's not seated correctly, there's also great videos on youtube that will teach you how to mount it and connect it, also make sure it's connected to the proper cpu fan header on the motherboard, you can also boot into bios and check if for any reason the cpu fan header is off or not on Auto, I don't know why it would be off but ive seen strange things in builds before, if you go through all these steps again and still not working then we might be dealing with a defect and hopefully the defect is in the heatsink and not the cpu fan header on the motherboard. You want to connect your htpc via HDMI to your tv, if your tv has a setting available for connected devices to sync display 1:1... that gets rid of over and under scan.. but mostly all TV's detect the resolution automatic and auto adjust.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NMEDIAPC 5000B Motherboard Standoffs?0