Linux - Stuttering tv<->commercial break

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LastCoder Offline
Fan
Question  Stuttering tv<->commercial break
Hi folks,

I discovered that very often the switch from a regular program to a commercial break and vice versa is accompanied by a visible stuttering of the live tv picture. It doesn't depend on the channel, but on some channels it's more (for example HD channels) or less marked.

Perhaps it's a country-specific (germany) problem, or a tv server [TVHeadend] specific problem...

But maybe it's a XBMC fault too ?! Would it be possible that the channel providers switch the video/audio codec or other parameters when they switch to a commercial break ? And in this case the XBMC video player can't handle it fast enough ?

Did you discover comparable problems ?

Greetz

LastCoder

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64Bit Server, Xfce, KODI Isengard, Skin Arctic Zephyr, tvheadend tv backend
ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, Celeron G530, Geforce 210, 4 GB DDR3 RAM , 1 TB Samsung 2,5" HDD
iHOS104 BluRay Drive, WinTV-HVR-1200 & TT DVBS2-1600
Silverstone GD05B Case, Sony PS3 BD Remote control, Logitech Cordless Mediaboard Pro for PS3
find quote
FernetMenta Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
Quote:Would it be possible that the channel providers switch the video/audio codec or other parameters when they switch to a commercial break

Yes, that's possible. What exactly happens, does the video stream close/re-open? Can you provide a log?

BTW: I don't notice this behavior in Germany, DVB-S.
find quote
LastCoder Offline
Fan
(2012-05-24 17:37)FernetMenta Wrote:  Yes, that's possible. What exactly happens, does the video stream close/re-open?

It's like the behaviour if xbmc syncs video and audio stream .. video stutters, no audio for a moment .. lasts for some seconds .. stream is not closed ..

Quote:Can you provide a log?

Will try .. I have to check if recordings and playback of recordings are affected too ...

Quote:BTW: I don't notice this behavior in Germany, DVB-S.

I use DVB-S too. RTL is my favorite channel for that, seems to depend on the program too; clocklike with "blockbusters"/movies and other series starting at 20:15 ..

While this problem only lasts for some seconds on regular free SD channels, the stuttering when I enabled HD+ channels with a smartcard only disapeared when I switched the channel for a moment ... maybe the codec difference between real HD material for the program and the commercial break is much greater ?!? I checked the oscam logs and tvheadend logs and it was no decoding problem.

Greetz

LastCoder

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64Bit Server, Xfce, KODI Isengard, Skin Arctic Zephyr, tvheadend tv backend
ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, Celeron G530, Geforce 210, 4 GB DDR3 RAM , 1 TB Samsung 2,5" HDD
Silverstone GD05B Case, Sony PS3 BD Remote control, Logitech Cordless Mediaboard Pro for PS3
(This post was last modified: 2012-05-24 18:01 by LastCoder.)
find quote
FernetMenta Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
I only watch HD channels and don't notice this behavior (backend is vdr). If stream parameters changed on RTL, I guess I would have noticed. I wait for your log.
find quote
tlanfer Offline
I have the same issue, also using tvheadend as a backend and watching hd-channels in germany Smile

Ill see if i can provide a log shortly.
find quote
bilbonvidia Offline
Fan
I noticed the same when I was using tvheadend, sometimes the channel would lock completely and I'd have to change channel. I noticed it on 4hd. (uk)
find quote
LastCoder Offline
Fan
(2012-05-24 18:16)FernetMenta Wrote:  I only watch HD channels and don't notice this behavior (backend is vdr).

OT: would you recommend vdr over tvheadend ? At least the tvmovie/web epg sounds very interesting to me Wink And obviously there are less errors than with tvheadend ?!?

@tlandfer & bilbonvidia: excellent .. but points to a tvheadend error Sad

Greetz

LastCoder

find quote
Swifty Offline
Fan
(2012-05-25 12:12)LastCoder Wrote:  @tlandfer & bilbonvidia: excellent .. but points to a tvheadend error Sad

Maybe not, I see the same issue on 4HD with VDR... I think it's where there is an audio stream change, I get stuck video for ~1 second and repeating audio (like a stuck record) which clears in around 1 second, it's always when the commercials start/finish...
find quote
FernetMenta Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
An audio stream change would show up in the log. Is this the case? I notice that audio volume pumps up during commercials but no stuttering. can someone post a log?
find quote
Swifty Offline
Fan
I've not looked to be honest, as it didn't bother me that much.. just thought i'd chime in to say it was visible with VDR too Smile

I will see if I can grab a log over the weekend for you.
find quote
Dogchow Offline
I think your problems are due to the AAC stream changing from 5.1 -> 2.0

https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc/issues/522
find quote
tsp42 Offline
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=115383
The master branch includes the ffmpeg fix.

Libcmyth MythTV addon for xbmc-pvr [source] [forum thread]
(This post was last modified: 2012-05-27 00:56 by tsp42.)
find quote