Linux XBMCLIVE to Eden?
I have a REVO dedicated for XBMCLIVE, working great, 600+ Movies, connected to 8TB NAS, audio over HDMI, 1080P everything is fine. What am I missing with Eden? and how would I go about upgrading to EDEN. I keep reading in the forums about missing audio on HDMI and all types of issues after an upgrade. You know the mantra, if it works, dont mess with it.. but it keeps gnawing at me... is Eden really the garden of Eden?
Personally my opinion is if you are not having problems, and it meets your needs and satisfaction leave it alone. If there are current annoyances, then I would post those and see if they have been resolved in eden. I would probably wait for an the official release of HD Audio before making the switch but that is just me.

At least so far many of the same issues that I had with dharma (that were not fixable etc) are in Eden. New issues as well... Nvidia graphics people seem to have a lock up issue when starting videos (that use VDPAU), I have lock up issues after idle for a period (haven't looked into it that much).

They improved the audio selection in eden, I didn't have to do the aplay stuff and menu sounds worked pretty much out of the box, which is nice but ultimately not important; being upfront work that does not effect day to day. Though audio still has pretty much the same limitations as dharma, no HD audio passthrough (yet, looks to be close though), still get messed up PCM with TrueHD (at least for me, all the center channel audio plays out the rear speakers...).
I would stick with 10.1 or go with OpenELEC or xbmcfreaks versions. I have had nothing but issues with my Revo running XBMC Eden. It has been out for two months exactly and no word of any fixes for the issues people are having with the new and improved Xbmcbuntu Eden release. Xbmcfreaks and OpenELEC have managed to work some bugs out with their beta releases. Right now I'm running OpenELEC on the rig in my sig and no issues I had with XBMC Eden.

It is possible to update just XBMC but still stay on the same Live OS install.
(2012-05-25, 06:42)Ned Scott Wrote: It is possible to update just XBMC but still stay on the same Live OS install.

Where do I find the info to do this?

(2012-05-25, 06:42)Ned Scott Wrote: It is possible to update just XBMC but still stay on the same Live OS install.

Yes... Though its a little bit fuzzy atm as people get used to the new xbmcbuntu format. I know there were posts to update live to eden betas before xbmcbuntu was released... There are some posts on how to upgrade eden with ppa.

It will come down to finding the proper ppa and only update xbmc.

You can try this... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130294

It was made for xbmcbuntu but may work for live...
Here is another guide that may work for you... Though I think it will upgrade you to nightlies? Didn't look through all the steps.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...+eden+beta
to to eden from xbmclive, this is how i do it.

first do

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties -y

then do

sudo apt-get update

then sudo apt-get install xbmc

this will update your xbmc installtion to eden, but it will no longer boot straight into xbmc
to fix this do thsi via putty

sudo nano /etc/init/xbmc.conf

then copy and paste this code into it

# xbmc-standalone
description "Autostart XBMC"

start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger)
stop on runlevel [06]

task
console output
emits starting-x

exec /bin/su xbmc -c "/usr/bin/startx /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone"

exit and save and then reboot

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
(2012-05-25, 22:20)matt77303 Wrote: to to eden from xbmclive, this is how i do it.

first do

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties -y

then do

sudo apt-get update

then sudo apt-get install xbmc

this will update your xbmc installtion to eden, but it will no longer boot straight into xbmc
to fix this do thsi via putty

sudo nano /etc/init/xbmc.conf

then copy and paste this code into it

# xbmc-standalone
description "Autostart XBMC"

start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger)
stop on runlevel [06]

task
console output
emits starting-x

exec /bin/su xbmc -c "/usr/bin/startx /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone"

exit and save and then reboot

Matt

everything here worked well except for the save step. telling me "Error writing /etc/int/xbmc.conf: no such file or directory"

its been a while since i've done this... did i put the wrong path?

edit: doh... i did type it wrong
ok well i somehow managed to bork this all up. just getting a blank screen on reboot after the menu
The only thing I can think of is, what's your username on xbmc, the username you use to log in via putty.

If its not xbmc replace the 'xbmc' on the last line just before the -c with your username.

So it could read for example

exec /bin/su matt -c "/usr/bin/startx /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone

Matt

Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCLIVE to Eden?0